Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Big advice is to carry your full passport, avoid EU/EEA ID cards, the full passport will get you through the system faster.

My driving license got me through an admittedly empty T1 hall in seconds last week.

Remember this is a T1 discussion NOT a schengen discussion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

trellheim wrote: »
    My driving license got me through an admittedly empty T1 hall in seconds last week.

Remember this is a T1 discussion NOT a schengen discussion :)

Would that be accepted when encoutnering the immigraton officers at Charles De Gaulle or Schiphol?

Didn't know the Irish drivers license could be used as a travel document. I thought it was only the passport card or the passport book. I haven't heard any stories of people using the former. Some say it's a gimmick to steal €35 from you that only young people fall for... :D

So probably, I would like to hear the experiences of young lads/ladies when using the passport card trying to leave Dublin airport, entering other EU airports and coming back.

Going back to the discussion of Terminal 1, do those guys ever check Irish passports? i've heard so many people reverberating trellheim's experience. Don't even need to open it, they just let you through. Come to think of it, many of my non-EU friends have had the same experience going through the non-EU passport queue. Me being non white means my Irish passport would probably be scrutinized for legitimacy in some countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,510 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Would that be accepted when encoutnering the immigraton officers at Charles De Gaulle or Schiphol?

Didn't know the Irish drivers license could be used as a travel document. I thought it was only the passport card or the passport book. I haven't heard any stories of people using the former. Some say it's a gimmick to steal €35 from you that only young people fall for... :D

So probably, I would like to hear the experiences of young lads/ladies when using the passport card trying to leave Dublin airport, entering other EU airports and coming back.

Going back to the discussion of Terminal 1, do those guys ever check Irish passports? i've heard so many people reverberating trellheim's experience. Don't even need to open it, they just let you through. Come to think of it, many of my non-EU friends have had the same experience going through the non-EU passport queue. Me being non white means my Irish passport would probably be scrutinized for legitimacy in some countries.

for travel between ireland and the UK a driving licence is fine assuming you are not flying ryanair. for the rest of europe a passport/card is needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

jeanjolie wrote: »

have travelled to Greece, Canaries, UK and belgium with passport card

no issues either direction

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

To clarify.

For travel between Ireland and the UK ONLY, regardless of which terminal you go through, for inbound immigration control purposes a photo ID can be accepted as identity document, and in some cases, even if the document has expired, it will be accepted for identity purposes. That may conflict with the ID requirements of the airline you are travelling with.

For travel to any other location, a Passport, or within the EU, a passport card is required for identity checks, and it can be requested on departure as well as on arrival.

At present, Dublin airport is not routinely checking identity documents on departure, though the airline you are travelling with may require and check a passport or passport card before allowing travel.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

for travel between ireland and the UK a driving licence is fine assuming you are not flying ryanair. for the rest of europe a passport/card is needed
    I have an irish drivers license but i am a non eu citizen who is required a visa to enter UK. how does that work then :-) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,510 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

To clarify.

For travel between Ireland and the UK ONLY, regardless of which terminal you go through, for inbound immigration control purposes a photo ID can be accepted as identity document, and in some cases, even if the document has expired, it will be accepted for identity purposes. That may conflict with the ID requirements of the airline you are travelling with.

For travel to any other location, a Passport, or within the EU, a passport card is required for identity checks, and it can be requested on departure as well as on arrival.

At present, Dublin airport is not routinely checking identity documents on departure, though the airline you are travelling with may require and check a passport or passport card before allowing travel.

Have the airport ever checked ID documents on departure? The airlines always check that the name on the ID matches the name on the boarding card but i have never had ID checked on the way out.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Hiya - Perhaps you are picking me up wrong - most of the time my license is checked, it would be the rarity that you get a wave-through in T1 . I was merely point in out the unicorn nature of getting through so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

crashadder wrote: »
    I have an irish drivers license but i am a non eu citizen who is required a visa to enter UK. how does that work then :-) ?

Your driving licence has place of birth on it . Currently theres nobody with a full licence born after Irish birth stopped giving automatic right to citizenship. They can tell from that if needed.

The DOB is there too

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Proof of nationality on certain routes for certain nationalities is sufficient. How the passenger does that is up to them as all passengers are non nationals until they prove otherwise.

To consider the driving licence point: it's not that the driving licence is accepted for travel it is (as stated by another poster) proof of nationality if it is your driving licence, it is an irish licence and your DOB is before 1/1/2005 (as it will be by definition).

Thereafter everyone must have a passport or equivalent document recognised by the State for travel (EU ID cards for travel within EEA for example)

Airline policies are entirely separate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Does that show the place of birth/nationality as being Irish or British on it?

For immigration purposes that's what's needed on a CTA flight - prove their citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

lxflyer wrote: »
    Does that show the place of birth/nationality as being Irish or British on it?

For immigration purposes that's what's needed on a CTA flight - prove their citizenship.

But you don't need to prove your citzenship in the CTA if going by sea or land I don't see why it should any differant by air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

trellheim wrote: »
    Hiya - Perhaps you are picking me up wrong - most of the time my license is checked, it would be the rarity that you get a wave-through in T1 . I was merely point in out the unicorn nature of getting through so quickly.

Well these stories are usually in Terminal 2.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    But you don't need to prove your citzenship in the CTA if going by sea or land I don't see why it should any differant by air.

Well that's really going back to a different discussion - reference mod discussions on that.

Suffice to say that if there are immigration spot checks in those locations, people do still have to prove their citizenship.

• Advertisement

Well I imagine that presumably would be sufficient given it identifies the person as an Irish citizen?

But I'm sure The Veteran will confirm one way or the other.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well I imagine that presumably would be sufficient given it identifies the person as an Irish citizen?

But I'm sure The Veteran will confirm one way or the other.

Yes, part of the very complex daily routine!

A number of years ago now, my elderly father in law, who was not in good health, so hadn't renewed his (UK) passport, decided he wanted to come to Ireland for a visit. It wasn't going to be possible to get him a passport in time for the trip, and it turned out that the only photo ID he still possessed was an expired local authority bus pass. That wasn't acceptable to Ryanair, so we had to get him over on Flybe, who were happy with it, and there were no problems at all at the checks either end.

It wouldn't arise now as he's passed away since, the rest of the family travel regularly and have up to date passports, but from what I've been able to find out, he would still have been able to travel with the same ID now, though a heads up in advance to the immigration officers here would avoid any delays.

In passing, my parents use the train and ferry, as they enjoy the scenery, especially the North Wales section on the train, and they are regularly asked for ID at both Holyhead and Dublin port on that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

In passing, my parents use the train and ferry, as they enjoy the scenery, especially the North Wales section on the train, and they are regularly asked for ID at both Holyhead and Dublin port on that route.

And what if they don't have it are they then sent back on the next ship even if they are going to their place of residence. I remember going over on a school tour years ago and being told not to bring a passport.

I don't mind having to show ID generally. I was on holidays in Italy recently and over there you have to show a passport/ID when checking at a hotel/accommodation a photocopy is taken and passed on to the local police who do a background check.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    And what if they don't have it are they then sent back on the next ship even if they are going to their place of residence. I remember going over on a school tour years ago and being told not to bring a passport.

I don't mind having to show ID generally. I was on holidays in Italy recently and over there you have to show a passport/ID when checking at a hotel/accommodation a photocopy is taken and passed on to the local police who do a background check.

The ferries now require advance passenger information, even for UK - Ireland route, and I'm pretty sure that there's a note somewhere that mentions carrying a picture ID. Not sure at this stage, I've not read the most up to date on line information for a while, we use the ferries regularly, but with a vehicle, and they don't seem to check them with the same degree of vigilance.

The point I was making was that the ferry routes are no longer as relaxed as they used to be in regard to checks, at one time, there were no border formalities at the ports, but that's now changed, in the same way as the airports have also changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Avada wrote: »
    I don't work there, I'm just explaining why the signs were Dúnta.

Madness to have signs in Irish only in an international airport.

Scrap the cap!

They aren't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

They're bilingual, that's just how I phrased it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A procurement exercise has been recently completed by the Department of Justice for the development and purchase of a permanent electronic passport facility at Dublin Airport initially.

Contract negotiations with the successful tenderer are expected to be concluded shortly and planning works are under way.

Looks like Oct/Nov ish before they are operational.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/no-passport-machines-at-dublin-airport-until-late-autumn-1.3175976

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

That report is pathetic ... read the first line: basically says "delays across Europe is because of a lack of eGates in dublin"

Look at other posters on here through T1 in minutes

Posted in another thread in A&A yesterday; pathetic reporting at present - poor research etc

Delays because of Schengen exit checks are nothing to do with Dublin; extra checks in Pre clearance (which led to Aer Lingus asking pax to attend 3 hours before a flight) are nothing to do with Dublin arrivals; BA IT problems are nothing to do with dublin arrivals, etc etc

Advertisement