Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

That report is pathetic ... read the first line: basically says "delays across Europe is because of a lack of eGates in dublin"

Look at other posters on here through T1 in minutes

Posted in another thread in A&A yesterday; pathetic reporting at present - poor research etc

Delays because of Schengen exit checks are nothing to do with Dublin; extra checks in Pre clearance (which led to Aer Lingus asking pax to attend 3 hours before a flight) are nothing to do with Dublin arrivals; BA IT problems are nothing to do with dublin arrivals, etc etc

Yeah when I first saw it mistakenly taught I opened a Daily Mail link hence why I only copied the end bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

It's annoying because we get it in the neck ...

Huge numbers going through airport at moment; seemed strangely calm earlier on, busy but calm if that makes sense

It's annoying because we get it in the neck ...

Huge numbers going through airport at moment; seemed strangely calm earlier on, busy but calm if that makes sense

Your nearly there, in what 3-4 weeks the worst will be finished for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

An article in the Independent today claims UK inbounds cannot be segregated because EU passengers must all be treated equally which is BS as we are not part of Schengen.

DAA could segregate if they were directed to do so tomorrow, solutions like enforcing 300 and 200 gates for T1 UK flights only would go a long way .

trellheim wrote: »
    An article in the Independent today claims UK inbounds cannot be segregated because EU passengers must all be treated equally which is BS as we are not part of Schengen.

DAA could segregate if they were directed to do so tomorrow, solutions like enforcing 300 and 200 gates for T1 UK flights only would go a long way .

Why is it BS? If you look at the UK situation they don't favour U.K. nationals over others. The point in that article was about giving preference to irish nationals - that is fundamentally against EU law!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Off the topic but are CBP officers in the pre-clearance section allowed to carry handguns?

Wonder what the firearms rule is. I assume that area is considered like a US embassy to be part of American soil and thus law enforcement are legally allowed to carry weapons.

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Off the topic but are CBP officers in the pre-clearance section allowed to carry handguns?

Wonder what the firearms rule is. I assume that area is considered like a US embassy to be part of American soil and thus law enforcement are legally allowed to carry weapons.

No weapons, applies to most non US CBP facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

No they cannot carry weapons.

The CBP area is subject to Irish law just like any other area of the airport.

CBP in Abu Dhabi is armed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

For what it's worth, I just arrived @ 11:00pm and was through in about 60 seconds.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Noxegon wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I just arrived @ 11:00pm and was through in about 60 seconds.

Yet we're being told to arrive hours in advance for Aer Lingus flights. Am I missing something here?

Is it that the airport has peak times, one terminal is busier than another, some destinations and lights are busier, congestion is only for outbound flights etc...?

Yet we're being told to arrive hours in advance for Aer Lingus flights. Am I missing something here?

Is it that the airport has peak times, one terminal is busier than another, some destinations and lights are busier, congestion is only for outbound flights etc...?

At European airports there are some delays for departing passengers because they have security followed by new passport checks. Does not apply to DUB because its outside schengen region but will flying to DUB. Places such as BCN staff are making delays worse because they are also involved in a pay dispute.

If your flying to the US you need to arrive early in DUB because of enhanced security measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

That reminds me. About ten days ago I was flying CDG-DUB with Aer Lingus. I had a bag to drop, so I made sure to arrive very early to make sure I had plenty of time. However, the staff were only taking bags for the Cork flight – and told me to come back in half an hour.

I decided to stay to the side of the queue, at the front – so I was the first to drop for Dublin – and my bag was finally accepted one hour fifty minutes prior to departure. I was a bit pissed off, to put it mildly, given that my boarding pass (and the Aer Lingus web site) both clearly stated that bag drop opens two and a half hours ahead of time.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Aer Lingus are advising passengers travelling to the USA using the pre-clearance facility to show up at least 3 hours before the flight due to additional checks that the US authorities are carrying out - that's the only change.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Must be a boon to tourism in ireland for next year. I've met several people who returned from hols this summer swearing they will never fly again after the hassle getting home.

As regular posters in this thread know, I am usually the one explaining things here. This thread has run its course at this stAge I think as:

- Schengen requirements are nothing to do with Dublin arrivals;

- CBP requirements are nothing to do with Dublin arrivals;

- bag drop in another country is nothing to do with Dublin arrivals;

- Aer Lingus is nothing to do with T1 arrivals ....

Busiest weekend of the year (so far) in the busiest year so far and there are no comments about the core point of this thread. Those who at the start of the thread were accused of not knowing what flights were coming or failing to ensure 'non stop' passage through the airport must have a brain transooant over the Summer as it all seems to be tickety boo.

Automatic Gates were "announced" at the weekend (of course we knew on here about them) and will be installed in the coming months.

Time to put the feet up and drink even more coffee I think ....

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Time to put the feet up and drink even more coffee I think ....
    You do realise this could be the equivalent of the "commentator's curse" :D

This thread has run its course at this stage I think as:

I very much doubt that. There is still no customer charter and no KPIs, no comparatives with other border forces, Schengen or otherwise, not even a sign saying "welcome"

The signs above the hatches are proudly broken and nothing is done about them , Red shirts and green shirts stand idly by.

There is no evidence of catering for the largest single source country for arrivals.

Twitter customer service is famous for saying "not our problem"

Even after all that, no evidence of engagement with the main airlines to stagger inbounds (i.e. for the '18 timetables no more than 10000 pass per hour can arrive at the 100 gates ) and so on - long term type solutions

I very much doubt that. There is still no customer charter and no KPIs, no comparatives with other border forces, Schengen or otherwise, not even a sign saying "welcome"

The signs above the hatches are proudly broken and nothing is done about them , Red shirts and green shirts stand idly by.

There is no evidence of catering for the largest single source country for arrivals.

Twitter customer service is famous for saying "not our problem"

Even after all that, no evidence of engagement with the main airlines to stagger inbounds (i.e. for the '18 timetables no more than 10000 pass per hour can arrive at the 100 gates ) and so on - long term type solutions

Irony perhaps my old flower?

• Advertisement

No, not at all. Apologies if I wasn't clear what I was thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I went through on Friday night, and considering it was the Friday of a bank holiday, and my flight was delayed so was in at around 23.30, I thought I was going to be stuck queuing for ages. I didn't stop walking from when I left the plane to when I was three people back in a passport control queue, and my passport was scanned.

It was busy, but managable. Everyone knew what they were doing and the DAA staff did the roping off really well, to manage the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

No, not at all. Apologies if I wasn't clear what I was thinking.
    And naturally the "EU" inaccuracies will continue on their office printer signage, though there are bigger issues to deal with too. All in all, that and the bizarre LED signs are not a great way to welcome visitors here (especially Norwegian and Swiss ones).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Had some relatives arrive on the Westjet flight from St Johns this week. No queue at that hour of the morning (7.30am) which isn't a surprise really and they were very complimentary of the staff - said they were really polite and welcoming. Have to say I've always found the same but it's great to see the positive impact it has on visitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Arrived into T1 from CDG at around 10.45am this morning. EU passport control couldn't have been any quicker. Absolutely excellent.

There was a pretty long queue for non-EU passport holders though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iancm25

Credit where credit is due - was waiting all of about 30 seconds at T1 passport control this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The issue (if it happens) at T1 passport control is after 22:00 and is usually down to a larger than normally expected number of arrivals of Ryanair aircraft within a set period - in other words it usually happens when flights are delayed and athey all arrive together along with the scheduled arrivals.

There aren't likely going to be delays at other times as the number of arrivals are much less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My family is flying home from Krakow next week.

Does anyone know what the queues are like? Do we give 2 or 4 hours :confused:

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

My family is flying home from Krakow next week.

Does anyone know what the queues are like? Do we give 2 or 4 hours :confused:

TIA

Seems the issues have been mainly rectified judging by the contribution on this thread, providing you're from the EU!.

Good question is what time is their arrival! Is there many T1 flights arriving around it?

Advertisement