Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Seems the issues have been mainly rectified judging by the contribution on this thread, providing you're from the EU!.

Good question is what time is their arrival! Is there many T1 flights arriving around it?

Meant to be getting in around 11pm. 6 weeks of peace and quiet ended:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Meant to be getting in around 11pm. 6 weeks of peace and quiet ended:D
    I went through immigration in three continental airports in the last week with no issues.

I wouldn't expect there to be any particular issues from Krakow either.

If many flights are delayed coming into Dublin at that stage, there could be some issues here, but they've been doing rather well lately it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Definitely got a lot better since the horror stories at the start of this thread, I fly through Dublin at least once a week, different carriers different times, different terminals etc but on every occasion that I've passed through T1 in the last few weeks have been hassle free and quick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Flew back into Dublin around 11.30am on Wednesday. We had to be stopped at the top of the stairs down to Immigration (coming from D area). Queue was slow going through and when I got to the top I overheard a DAA staff member say that for safety reasons they couldn't allow people to queue on the stairs (a reasonable step to take so).

I got down into the immigration "hall" and was ultimately through within five minutes. But on passing a DAA staff member directing people I asked why exactly half the booths were not open? He first informed me that there were not enough staff and then changed his mind to say that they were on a break. A lady in some sort of uniform (not wearing a high vis DAA jacket) nearby came over and suggested that the immigration staff were interviewing non EU people. Her attitude was quiet condescending , so I replied to ask that in that case were there not enough immigration staff overall, as it was obviously an issue with crowd control in action further back in the airport? She got a little flustered and confirmed that there were enough to man all the booths as well as extras, but they were very busy that day. At this point I moved on with the queue and didn't get a chance to ask any more questions.

But staffing is an issue if crowd control measures are in place and the reason for that lack of staff is rather unclear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Tabnabs wrote: »

I got down into the immigration "hall" and was ultimately through within five minutes.

If you got through in 5 minutes I would contend that they have adequately staffed the booths. Or was it just the immigration hall bit that took 5 minutes?

• Advertisement

The DAA staff there are purely there to manage the queue, probably on minimum wages - they aren't going to be able to answer questions about staffing at the booths - that's an INIS issue and you'd need to take it up with them.

It may well been the case that there had been a lot of "problem" passengers arriving at the same time - I suspect that's going to cause issues no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Just as a data point for all those suggesting separate arrivals for the CTA – this morning I flew into Leeds Bradford from Dublin – and there was a passport control check. Our flight dropped us at the regular "Ireland arrivals" corridor, so this wasn't a case of us inadvertently unloading in the wrong place.

This is the first time I've ever had to present my passport on the UK side in living memory, but I guess it's a sign of things to come.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Came off a Ryanair flight from Glasgow last night around 11pm and was pleasantly surprised to see not a single person waiting, and maybe 3-4 booths open. Took 30 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Just as a data point for all those suggesting separate arrivals for the CTA – this morning I flew into Leeds Bradford from Dublin – and there was a passport control check. Our flight dropped us at the regular "Ireland arrivals" corridor, so this wasn't a case of us inadvertently unloading in the wrong place.

This is the first time I've ever had to present my passport on the UK side in living memory, but I guess it's a sign of things to come.

Random plus intelligence-led checks, to best use scarce resource. All of my UK trips have had increased checks on documents but in no way can it be considered anything more than random. I remember when every Heathrow inbound and outbound was fully checked by the Met

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

trellheim wrote: »
    Random plus intelligence-led checks, to best use scarce resource. All of my UK trips have had increased checks on documents but in no way can it be considered anything more than random. I remember when every Heathrow inbound and outbound was fully checked by the Met

You must have been on holidays; I missed you!

You should see more changes kicking off over the next few weeks in the main immigration halls in each Terminal. The biggest change of all for T2 is also only weeks away.

Former President McAleese's comments were interesting yesterday about the irreconcilable positions of the UK wanting to have 'control' of certain things post Brexit and the notion of free flow on the Irish border.

Back to this thread though: no complaints\issues in weeks now. Recent tweets etc have been about T2.

• Advertisement

Perhaps Ryanair have also had a better spread of arrivals too in recent times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Perhaps Ryanair have also had a better spread of arrivals too in recent times?

If they have, it's purely down to luck re:delays, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

Noxegon wrote: »

There has always been what appear to be random checks. Maybe they are targeted due to some reason unknown to the public, but travelling to Edinburgh about one a month this past few years the checks aren't any more frequent. I'd say about 4 times in almost 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

My daughter, aged 9, was returning from her summer in Poland with her Polish grandmother (different surnames on passport, and one Irish and one Polish passport), and they were stopped in Dublin and asked questions about how they were related etc. We had provided a letter of permission with our contact details in event of such a stop. It is actually heartening to see this type of Border check.

You must have been on holidays; I missed you!
    Awww thanks :) No holidays till October unfortunately

Came through T2 about 2200 last night 3 mins queue from Dusseldorf so I had to show the passport :(

Dusseldorf has 80% auto passport gates last night and photo takers , lets not hope we don't get those machines as they are as slow as anything to unlock the RFID

Awww thanks :) No holidays till October unfortunately

Came through T2 about 2200 last night 3 mins queue from Dusseldorf so I had to show the passport :(

Dusseldorf has 80% auto passport gates last night and photo takers , lets not hope we don't get those machines as they are as slow as anything to unlock the RFID

Vision-Box won the tender, so the gates are similar to the ones in the uk (I'm not sure on the exact gates)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Will the Irish passport cards be readable at the new machines in DUB...?
    They're not readable in any of the passport machines in any other country as far as I'm aware even though they have the little symbol that implies machine readable, anybody know why...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

2 arrivals into T1 in last week.

1st- around 17.30- 2 mins max.....

2nd- around 15.00- 20 seconds....?????

Is there something I'm missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Will the Irish passport cards be readable at the new machines in DUB...?
    They're not readable in any of the passport machines in any other country as far as I'm aware even though they have the little symbol that implies machine readable, anybody know why...?

According to the press release, they will be compatible.

• Advertisement

The tender is now awarded the ISO compatible standards or otherwise should be publicised .

You have the standards to which the passport RFID has been built to , these may or may not change down the years , and then you have the machine, which can also change down the years as to the standards which it can use

These vary tremendously , and also in a lot of countries you can use a national ID card ( which our passport card is in all but name ) which may have a completely different biometric

( is this messed up ? Sure is . Unfortunately I can't blame GNIB or INIS for that but I did rail against the tender not being as widely specced as possible far back in this thread, as the new driving licenses have probably a higher "identification" factor than passports given the ID checking they do, but it is what it is )

sodabread wrote: »
    2 arrivals into T1 in last week.

1st- around 17.30- 2 mins max.....

2nd- around 15.00- 20 seconds....?????

Is there something I'm missing?

What you're missing is that the queues only really became an issue where a whole bunch of Ryanair flights late at night arrived at once - during the daytime the flights tend to be more spread out.

as the new driving licenses have probably a higher "identification" factor than passports given the ID checking they do, but it is what it is )

The ID checking isn't to any higher a standard as passports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Went through T1 last night between 11.15-11.30pm and got through immigration in less than 2 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

So with e-gates coming soon, the daa are looking at potentially expanding the hall. Will likely wait to see how e gates work out but they are looking at the need to expand it eventually.

One might guess 2019/2020 depending on the success of e gates and traffic through the hall in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

ahbell wrote: »
    Went through T1 last night between 11.15-11.30pm and got through immigration in less than 2 minutes.

Same. Got through on Wednesday at the same time in less than two minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

Queues would not be anywhere near as bad if all the halls didn't have massive ''temporary'' walls blocking half of the immigration hall for weeks on end! Feel bad for daa staff as they can only do so much when facilities are lacking behind. Constant news about more flights being added yet no word on improvement on current struggling infrastructure.

revenent wrote: »
    Queues would not be anywhere near as bad if all the halls didn't have massive ''temporary'' walls blocking half of the immigration hall for weeks on end! Feel bad for daa staff as they can only do so much when facilities are lacking behind. Constant news about more flights being added yet no word on improvement on current struggling infrastructure.

I would assume that is the preparatory work for the e-gates, so absolutely necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Avada wrote: »
    I would assume that is the preparatory work for the e-gates, so absolutely necessary.

Is is absolutely necessary in the middle of the busy Summer season? Surely they could have waited a few more weeks when the airport is getting quieter

• Advertisement

Is is absolutely necessary in the middle of the busy Summer season? Surely they could have waited a few more weeks when the airport is getting quieter

They're managing just fine with very few complaints as of yet. But yes, the Tender, etc was dragged out for long enough.

Advertisement