Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

trellheim wrote: »
    Finally please fix the broken signs in T1 control

Ah yes, but the buttons on those signs are broken aren't they!

Pity someone wouldn't give the duty electrician a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Just for the record. Today (Fri 15th) at 15.45 queue was stopped, backed up to Pier 1 corridor, then slow moving for a while at bottom of escalator and walled-off area but fairly fast after two rounds of the "hold". 16 minutes wait in total. All of the booths seemed to be open, at least by the time I got to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iancm25

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Just for the record. Today (Fri 15th) at 15.45 queue was stopped, backed up to Pier 1 corridor, then slow moving for a while at bottom of escalator and walled-off area but fairly fast after two rounds of the "hold". 16 minutes wait in total. All of the booths seemed to be open, at least by the time I got to see them.

Looked a little something like this? <10 minute queue allegedly! Welcome to Ireland...

[photo from the departures side]

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

There will be congestion in that area until at least the building works advance and Gates are operational. Simple facts based on available desks and the space available. Daa stop or control the flow into the area to avoid accidents with the escalators (too late when people are on an escalator to realise there is no escape at the bottom) which is a simple health and safety issue.

Negative G - you are indeed entitled to your opinion, I didn't attack your view but I will offer you this observation. In your last post you have made hugely sweeping statements about civil or public servants which are generalised in the nature. If you wish to highlight specific inefficiencies in regard to the operation of the immigration controls I would welcome them so that they could be responded to. However, please don't raise the CTA piece as that has been done to death and is not a comment in regard to inefficiency as such.

In regard to metrics, what metrics would you apply? How long a person takes to pass through a control is one of a number of measures but how long it takes you to get there is not the only element of that. The checks currently in place in dublin are more robust than previous years and there are really other things that are not in the public domain nor should they ever be that point to performance.

I will offer a perspective - Dublin is really one Terminal at least once airside. In reality, there should be one (very big) immigration hall in Dublin with maybe 30 desks and maybe 15 to 20 eGates. The design of the airport is itself inefficient.

Negative G - you are indeed entitled to your opinion, I didn't attack your view but I will offer you this observation. In your last post you have made hugely sweeping statements about civil or public servants which are generalised in the nature. If you wish to highlight specific inefficiencies in regard to the operation of the immigration controls I would welcome them so that they could be responded to. However, please don't raise the CTA piece as that has been done to death and is not a comment in regard to inefficiency as such.

In regard to metrics, what metrics would you apply? How long a person takes to pass through a control is one of a number of measures but how long it takes you to get there is not the only element of that. The checks currently in place in dublin are more robust than previous years and there are really other things that are not in the public domain nor should they ever be that point to performance.

They may well be generalised in your opinion but that is the opinion I have formed over various encounters with various departments regarding numerous different issues. Slow and laborious.

There are various things that I would be curious to know but I expect they would be shot down under the umbrella of "not in the public domain".

Has anything been done about the broken buttons that control the signs that Trellheim refers to? That seems like a very simple issue that could benefit all stakeholders but, it appears, that it remains unserviacble after it was highlighted 4 months ago.

Avada identified the issue several months ago, I presume he/she reported it. Let me guess, its the DAA's problem?

• Advertisement

The signs have been known about for two years. The Hall is to be refurb'd; no need to spend money on them plus they belong to daa not Dept so not for Dept to fix - fact. Doesn't interfere with operations anyway

Feel free to ask about anything - if it can't be said publicly then at least you'll know.

Trellheim - an interesting character I'm sure. I wonder did he ever raise his concerns with anyone in the service or formally with the Dept?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

DAA redshirts are essentially useless - they have no function - you cannot complain to them and neither will they assist anyone or carry a message. Neither do they know "what is going on" , however they seem to commune deeply with their mobile phones and clipboards

their preferred response is "it's <insert anybody else's but me's> problem".

DAA have no obligation or charter to treat inbounds in any particular SLA. For example they do not ( AFAIK ) guarantee or recommend any SLA to handling companies or airlines ( for example no less than 120 seconds after engines stopped before doors open or airbridge attach and passengers deplaning , no less than 60 seconds waiting for a stand and so on, and no less than 300 seconds walking to a Border control ).

Neither do GNIB or INIS - there is no customer charter, SLA, usable statistics, or complaints mechanism

It is perfectly possible to calculate in the round how fast a particular queue will get serviced given the number of officers on duty and put up

I find the "not our problem" about the signs risible in the extreme - they have been up like that for ages and confused many a weary traveller who wants nothing more to do than enter and go about their lawful business. A simple covering A4 sheet of paper or turning the broken ones off would have shown cop-on.

Is there any signs on the works "excuse our appearance ! we plan to have fully ICAO compliant e-gates by 1 dec 2017 - or whatever - please bear with us - in the meantime please complaint to idgaf@inis.gov.ie"

OF COURSE THERES NOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Also bear in mind an incoming passenger is worthless to the DAA from a revenue point of view.

Yes and no. Whilst directly they may not be worth revenue, passenger experience would affect whether or not a person (who has other options) chooses to travel through DUB in the future. I would assume that is obvious to DAA.

Avada wrote: »
    I would assume that is obvious to DAA.

You know what they say about assuming things.

• Advertisement

Trellheim, my auld flower, thanks for your considered intervention.

Now let's be clear about something, the primary function of a "border officer" (whatever they might be called in any given jurisdiction) is to determine the eligibility for entry of those seeking entry and in so doing (directly and indirectly) to safeguard the State and its people or those in the State at a point in time.

Today, for example, there have been passengers arrive claiming to have done so with no documents, there were two very real child safety cases, another whose travel history and behaviour would fit the perfect drugs mule profile, and many other "cases" - these were on the "day shift" - no idea what has happened since. The true metric or SLA is how well the primary function is discharged. Queue times are not a part of the primary function and in any event to the extent that queue times come into it, let's talk about the ICAO targets - 20 mins for EU passengers and 45 for non EU. There have been FOI requests answered by DTTAS that provided the daa queue data - anyone that wants can view that data.

The provision of infrastructure is a matter for daa - fact and a simple fact.

Roll on the full roll out into T2 and what comes with that. Roll on eGates, roll on PNR screening ... the world is changing, the Terminals are changing. 2018 beckons and should be (will be) an improved world (as far as the airport goes)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I arrived on an EI into T1 just before ten last night, brisk stroll down to passport control in T2, the gates opened up in front of us so the queue fanned out and I was through in under a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Judging by on here there's never been an issue with T2.

T2 ... all I will say is "primary function"

If you want to talk statistics - compare the two! More refusals, more everything frankly in T1, including more booths actually open and at a significantly lower cost.

Btw, check Twitter and you will find most of the tweets in recent months relate to T2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've found T2 to be worse than T1 the last 9 months or so.

Both Terminals now under the same banner; T2 "under new management" since this morning. Not a smell of a queue in T2 all day.

Credit where its due.

I arrived back In T1 from the UK at about 2300 last Saturday. I barely had to stop while passing through immigration.

I did notice the couple of booths 'hidden' behind the pillar due to the construction works which had little foot traffic so went for them.

The work is dragging on and is an absolute pain in the .... at this stage. Don't know when it will finish to be honest.

9 desks in T1 main area at present and almost always fully manned. Still busy numbers but a Saturday night is always lighter than a Friday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I’ve had no problem passing through either terminal for the last number of months, various times, various carriers.
    Likewise security on the way out, probably the easiest airport for passing through of any number I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Just 2 minutes in T1 last night (Wed) 22.45, someone in front held our queue up. Should of picked a better queue and been out even quicker :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Baller23

having gone through terminal one at various times over the past few months I'm virtually certain that the delays are not in fact caused by staff or staffing levels, I have repeatedly seen passengers ill prepared or obnoxiously oblivious to what the actual purpose of this section of the airport is for, I have seen and heard the staff being abused up to the point where the airport police have been called in, there are some posters who are clearly in touch or have boots on the ground here and I've read all the posts from page one and still the seasoned traveller is blaming Dublin airport or justice immigration yet still abdicating their own responsibilities, trying to buck the system, even going to sit in wheelchairs to circumvent the queues, seriously. As for the traveller the clue is in the name, it's PASSPORT control, and not even the recent addition of the nice free standing signs has made any difference to the ignorant, its simple, no hats no sunglasses no phones, please have families together, simple stuff. I was 3 people behind in the queue on saturday night when one booth officer was met with a torrent of abuse for asking a woman to get off her phone. I was embarrassed for this guy but fair dues to him he carried on regardless even when this silly bint hadn't even signed her passport either (she was irish), so that went down well also when she was told to sign it, when my turn came I was greeted with a smile a welcome and after maybe 8 full seconds later I was let go on my merry way with a thank you and personally addressed, let me tell you, you DO NOT get that kind of good dignified respectful treatment in many places. Having been in customer care for many years I would absolutely be the first one to critiscise but that's very much an Irish thing, we're not as good or quick to commend as to condemn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Immigration at Dublin airport wished my mother a "belated happy birthday" when she flew home one day after her birthday. Little touch that the person in the booth can do to 1 in 365 people, but its nice nonetheless.

I arrived in Dublin T1 last night and the entire room was full to capacity, the worst I've seen it personally. Still, on went the timer on the phone and I was through within 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How can someone have a passport with no signature on it? The signature is captured from the application form.

Scrap the cap!

How can someone have a passport with no signature on it? The signature is captured from the application form.

When I renewed mine last year, it comes back with a space to sign now. Before it was printed on it but now it's the page above the plastic part.

to validate it, I guess its a visual confirmation too, the wife got chastised last year because she hadn't signed hers either, its on the newer irish passports, not sure what year onwards a I replaced mine in 2009

Baller23 wrote: »
    to validate it, I guess its a visual confirmation too, the wife got chastised last year because she hadn't signed hers either, its on the newer irish passports, not sure what year onwards a I replaced mine in 2009

Not sure but it was sometime from 2013 on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Seems strange and a backwards step in security, to me.

Now that they are doing secure capture of photo and signature for driving licence* / public services card, logically the passport application process should be integrated with that. I haven't looked into the online application process and won't need to for a couple of years.

* Did the NDLS photo/signature thing a couple of years ago when renewing my licence, recently got a letter asking me if I'm happy to get a public services card issued using the same details. Fine by me, the other half had to go off to an office in Tallaght to get a PS card because she doesn't have a newer type driving licence yet and the child benefit claims are in her name.

Scrap the cap!

no matter though, my point and to address the op is that the queues, irrespective of construction or different departments whether public or private, are an effect of passenger sloth stupidity and incompetence as I was processed within 10 second because I was prepared, now some of the other posters on here may again start to hammer the various services and departments involved in the process but they cannot argue against my personal experience or point of view

At times a tough enough day at the office yesterday, lots of changing information and “pale faced” passengers, especially anyone who might be a nervous flyer.

Main thing is everyone was safe.

Passengers ... yes, preparation would help. For Ryanair passengers - could you or ease remember that baggage reclaim is after immigration and to take your passport etc out of your bag before it goes in the hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭plodder

I renewed my passport recently and I didn't see anything about having to sign it. I see there is a space for a signature on a page marked "Observations". What is that supposed to mean though? A page for recording your travel experiences on? Most people would be reluctant (rightly) to write anything on their passport without clear instructions. So, I'd be a bit peed off too, if the first I heard of it was at the passport checking booth.

Advertisement