Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

plodder wrote: »
    I renewed my passport recently and I didn't see anything about having to sign it. I see there is a space for a signature on a page marked "Observations". What is that supposed to mean though? A page for recording your travel experiences on? Most people would be reluctant (rightly) to write anything on their passport without clear instructions. So, I'd be a bit peed off too, if the first I heard of it was at the passport checking booth.

Observation page would be for the likes of informing others that your current name is not original to your birth cert without an official name change.

That's what it is on mine anyway. Can't think of another reason it's used for but I reckon it's not to do with personal travel experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

What kind of a queue should I expect around 20:00 on a Friday?
    I am sure it varies enormously but anyone have any experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭plodder

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Observation page would be for the likes of informing others that your current name is not original to your birth cert without an official name change.

That's what it is on mine anyway. Can't think of another reason it's used for but I reckon it's not to do with personal travel experiences.
    Sure, my comment was tongue in cheek. But, yes I'd say the page is for official observations, which makes it all the more counter-intuitive that the owner/holder is supposed to sign it. My OH was just saying, when arriving the other day, she was asked to sign it, before traveling next, which sounds reasonable to me, given that the application process makes no mention of signing it. If it was actually that important, they would make a bigger deal when applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Sure, my comment was tongue in cheek. But, yes I'd say the page is for official observations, which makes it all the more counter-intuitive that the owner/holder is supposed to sign it. My OH was just saying, when arriving the other day, she was asked to sign it, before traveling next, which sounds reasonable to me, given that the application process makes no mention of signing it. If it was actually that important, they would make a bigger deal when applying.

Well the signature wouldn't be signed by someone else other than the passport holder. A reasonably logical person would know that.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Well the signature wouldn't be signed by someone else other than the passport holder. A reasonably logical person would know that.
    It could be signed by whoever was making the observations. Is ink in such short supply to add "of holder" to the text?

Just to add to that. UK passports have handwritten signatures now as well, and the page below explains the context, which I'd guess is the same for Irish passports. But, note the higher level of clarity on the sample relating to the observations page and the signature. You might think this stuff is obvious, but if you google for it, you wouldn't believe the mistakes that people make with passports, unless information is crystal clear. And it is not down to the citizen's "sloth or incompetence".

https://abta.com/news-and-views/news/signatures-in-uk-passports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Baller23

My reference to sloth And incompetence is entirely to do with ones preparedness approaching the passport booth, as one poster above put it, the passenger was advised to sign the passport before they next travelled seems fair and legit but not even having ones passport in their hands yet complaining they have queued for 20 minutes (insert exaggerated figure here) or so is how I would describe sloth and incompetence yet we're very quick to blame the public service, I hope you reframe my reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

When my new PP arrived a couple of weeks ago, it came with a plastic cover. Attached to the cover was a sticker, instructing the passport holder to sign on the observations page, exactly as they would have signed the form.

Sounds counter intuitive, as previous versions were included on the data page, but it does make sense. The signature is included on the data chip, and it is very difficult to forge a signature you can't see in advance. If the two don't match on inspection, you have a problem.

This is getting off topic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭interlocked

Passengers ... yes, preparation would help. For Ryanair passengers - could you or ease remember that baggage reclaim is after immigration and to take your passport etc out of your bag before it goes in the hold.

Is this pretty common, and how much of a hold up does this cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

For Ryanair passengers - could you or ease remember that baggage reclaim is after immigration and to take your passport etc out of your bag before it goes in the hold.
    Out of curiosity why are you addressing only Ryanair passengers?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've seen whole families stopping and rooting in bags as they reach the desks, seemingly astonished that "Passport Control" required them to produce ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

I’m singling our Ryanair because this thread is about T1 but in reality Pier 1/2 where all the Ryanair pax go and in that context it is the routine experience that it is Ryanair Pax who present with no documebts because they left their documents in their luggage when it went in the hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Went through last Friday night (about 23.40) and it was fine, no queue

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

But you do have other procedures to process them?

Fred, officialmanswer is that the obligation is on the passenger to present the relevant documents or satisfy the officer etc etc. No obligation to do anything but to put them to one side until they have the appropriate documents - Tom Hanks and Terminal comes to mind!

Fred Swanson why would my disgust at people trying to queue jump by using the wheelchair facilities when they do not require them offend you? Colour me confused.

Maybe you misread me, I didn't for one second insinuate or imply that ALL wheelchair users were trying to queue jump but if you read through the thread there are posters in here who seem to think this is an acceptable way to get to the front of the line, I am sympathetic to people who absolutely require these facilities having direct exposure to quadriplegic family members, not that I am trying to curry favour or sympathy from anyone else as that would meet with scorn from those family members affected as they have infinitely more dignity and decency than some posters for which it is such a burden to queue up for a couple of minutes. Please therefore direct your ire at the posters for whom my comment was intended.

• Advertisement

Baller23 wrote: »
    Maybe you misread me, I didn't for one second insinuate or imply that ALL wheelchair users were trying to queue jump but if you read through the thread there are posters in here who seem to think this is an acceptable way to get to the front of the line, I am sympathetic to people who absolutely require these facilities having direct exposure to quadriplegic family members, not that I am trying to curry favour or sympathy from anyone else as that would meet with scorn from those family members affected as they have infinitely more dignity and decency than some posters for which it is such a burden to queue up for a couple of minutes. Please therefore direct your ire at the posters for whom my comment was intended.
    How would you know whether someone in a wheelchair is legitimate or just there to jump the queue? I really find it hard to believe that anyone would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The same people who park in disabled spots would chance their arm with this I would imagine...not that hard to believe to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

How would you know whether someone in a wheelchair is legitimate or just there to jump the queue? I really find it hard to believe that anyone would do that.

I admire your faith in humanity.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Have a read through the thread sir there actually are people who have considered this, that's where I am disgusted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I came into T2 last week off a long haul. I was through passport control in less than 5 minutes. Got my bag and avoided a pack of customs people on the way out, not that I had anything to declare.

Be careful the moderator doesn't remove you as this thread pertains to Terminal one only at this time, so if you are cheap like me and use Ryanair every turn about you'll experience T1 in all its glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Baller23 wrote: »
    Be careful the moderator doesn't remove you as this thread pertains to Terminal one only at this time, so if you are cheap like me and use Ryanair every turn about you'll experience T1 in all its glory.

Do not pre-guess moderator actions - if you have an issue, report the post.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The operation of Immigration in T2 is now being managed by the same group as T1, and we've been letting the T2 comments through for a while now, where they are immigration/passport related. The only issue for some time was/is the arguments relating identity checks for flights originating within the CTA, which is still a no go area due to the aggravations that were being stirred up by that issue.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Came through at 0100 or thereabouts T1 ; 15 mins wait, bad queue management by DAA . 6 desks open of which 1 Non-EU . INIS worker was polite and courteous.

As is typical for INIS the Non-EU was signed "Dunta" but was in fact open , so another great welcome there lads for what are largely tourists who want to spend money here.

What is supposed to have happened to the "All desks staffed" happy clappy stuff that was being peddled here recently or was there not enough staff to do T1 and T2 at the same time ?

And once again its not a passport control and neither is it a border for some flyers, in fact there are no signs saying on approach to the booths what you legally must produce based on who you are and where you came from. Why is this ? Do people not think this might be helpful information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

trellheim wrote: »
    Do people not think this might be helpful information

To be fair, you're speaking about the airport that has an enormous sign giving public transport information in Irish.

(And yes, I know there's an English one too...)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement