Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Thank you Stephen, I didn't know that.

What I was referring to, as did Mebuntu just above me, is that people's faces over time can change (age, dropping or gaining weight) or the addition or subtraction of glasses or even the change of glasses can throw datapoints for the face off (changes of shadows, shapes depending on the frame). Without knowing how sensitive the system is to these changes - hell, even looking at the pickup camera at a slightly different angle can do it - it is hard to say how it will react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, that's not how biometrics work....

When one major factor involved is measuring eye and pupil distances, and when different lenses alter how that looks from the front, it can be. And people do wear different lenses at different times, particularly older long-term glasses uses who don't or can't wear varifocals.

There's also the documented - although using such surreal looking glasses that people will notice - use of patterned glasses to confuse recognition systems.

I have my glasses off in passport/passport card/licence photos and take them off for e-gates; just easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Trellheim - missed you!

The eGates are up and running and I know I am biased but they look good. There are a few different features on them than some may be used to. Only 5 in each Terminal for the moment but rising to 10 in each shortly.

Big things are: passports out of covers; and let go of the passport once it starts to get sucked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

These must be new it they suck your passport in.

They are. Brand new from VisionBox

• Advertisement

Fred - it will take them with that cover (tried it myself a few times) but not always.

Gates are “brand new” and the document holding bit is virtually brand new - very few have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Big things are: passports out of covers;

This will upset a lot of precious darlings who think their passport will crumble at the slightest bit of use.

Negative: agree! The approach in Dublin will reduce the “user errors” but passengers have to learn to “let it go”. It’s funny to see the look on faces when the passport gets sucked in.

The two sets of Gates look good but only half are open at the moment. Will make a serious difference when all are operational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Signage ?

• Advertisement

Trellheim - absolutely but passengers have to read signs and watch the TV screens in the hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Trellheim - missed you!

The eGates are up and running and I know I am biased but they look good. There are a few different features on them than some may be used to. Only 5 in each Terminal for the moment but rising to 10 in each shortly.

Big things are: passports out of covers; and let go of the passport once it starts to get sucked in.

so the same as the ones in brussels?

so the same as the ones in brussels?

Same supplier, same Gate basically, but next generation “feeder” than Brussels

Trellheim - absolutely but passengers have to read signs and watch the TV screens in the hall.

What if you have children with you can the machine deal with that ? can you swipe a few at a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

trellheim wrote: »
    What if you have children with you can the machine deal with that ? can you swipe a few at a time

No under 18s through the machines, as with most/all airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Came through this afternoon "delirah and exirah" at a first opportunity to use these wonderful new machines.

None of the queues at them seemed to be moving and the passengers who were looking to join them were being continuously warned off them so, in the end, I didn't even try. The guy at the desk I went to just gave a cursory glance at my passport and away I went. I'd have been cheesed off if I had joined that queue of "e-gaters":).

Judging by what I saw today these machine won't be speeding up anything, in fact, quite the opposite.

If anyone is back of the queue can they please try and get an average through time for the egates pls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Same supplier, same Gate basically, but next generation “feeder” than Brussels

Seems a lot slower than the ones in Brussels, I saw them yesterday when I passed through, the whole process was a lot slower than the manual check. I use the BRU ones regularly, when I saw them in T2 yesterday I had to try them. There were no real queues at the booths and my colleague waltzed through, I ended up in a self inflicted queue of three or four people, one lady in front held up the show while she persisted in trying to get it to read her password before being asked to go to the booth. There's a delay between the gate opening to let the last person out and the next person in and then quite a delay in the photograph stage before finally being allowed through.

• Advertisement

Agree with everything last few posters have said. No under 18s as legally they would be “unaccompanied” when crossing the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So are there instructions for people using this for the first time or what.

Is there a portal for this or should people just arrive and be baffled or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

The passport delays are another Brexit issue. Ireland is supplying MI5 with information on every person who enters the state, under an 'enhanced' common travel area arrangement.

Meanwhile in the Schengen states, there is no passport checking. You just get off the aircraft, and if you have hand-baggage only, walk out the door to your car, taxi, bus, train, whatever. At Nice airport I can leave the aircraft, and board a bus at the airport bus station within 7 minutes. (Soon to be a tram stop.)

The Island of Ireland needs to join Schengen for business travel efficiency. They can use API to/from Britain. Give the extremist unionists who don't want a passport "Britcards". We have needless double checking under the current non-system. Your passport / ID card is scanned leaving Schengen, and when you arrive in Ireland, your ID is scanned again, to be sure to be sure, that you haven't become a wanted criminal during the flight.

Airports in Schengenland have two pathways to accommodate Schengen and non Schengen flights. Flights arriving in Ireland from Schengen countries (whose PAX) have already been ID scanned leaving Schengen, should not have to line up for passport checking on landing. It is just dumb. Waste of time and money.

Yet another event of infrastructural incompetence at Irish airports.

Britain should also join Schengen, while not being an EU member - like Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, etc.

The passport delays are not exclusive to Dublin. When you arrive at the other end of the journey from Ireland (non Schengen) one can wait an hour in line for your ID doc to be scanned.

Irish passport 'cards' do not work in self border control machines in most European countries, and in Germany for example, Lufthansa has self boarding - which does not need your ID to be presented at the gate. But on flights to Ireland, LH calls your name out at the gate to get your ID info into their computer.

Racism in another form by gov.ie an racketeer.gov.eu. Time wasting state terrorism against citizens.

The German machines have German/English captions on the small screen where you insert the passport.

Apart from that there are no real instructions.

Some countries just install the machines, reduce the manned desks and do not “bother” with instruction.

There are overhead TVs in Dublin and images on the screens in the Gates, after that there is a bit of “it should be obvious”.

Impetus - not worth addressing your post but on one point if you think the schengen exit checks are robust, you really need to do some research. I wouldnt trust the schengen exit checks plus there are people who can be in schengen who have no entitlement to enter Ireland

The machines work faster in Germany - but no Irish passport cards need apply. Incompetent DFA / German gov.

Impetus - not worth addressing your post but on one point if you think the schengen exit checks are robust, you really need to do some research. I wouldnt trust the schengen exit checks plus there are people who can be in schengen who have no entitlement to enter Ireland

Because they have Schengen Visas and no Irish Visa. As a result mainland Europe had endless numbers of Chinese (among other) tourists, travelling around on their Schengen Visa. From a population of 1.6 billion. They just skip Ireland - to avoid the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Came through this afternoon "delirah and exirah" at a first opportunity to use these wonderful new machines.

None of the queues at them seemed to be moving and the passengers who were looking to join them were being continuously warned off them so, in the end, I didn't even try. The guy at the desk I went to just gave a cursory glance at my passport and away I went. I'd have been cheesed off if I had joined that queue of "e-gaters":).

Judging by what I saw today these machine won't be speeding up anything, in fact, quite the opposite.

I came through T1 yesterday. Massive queue at the Egate that didn’t seem to be moving. As I passed it, one of the staff opened the barrier to let the people queuing leave to go through the manual check. Her words were along the lines of ‘you’ll be hours waiting, so go through here.’

Sarn wrote: »
    I came through T1 yesterday. Massive queue at the Egate that didn’t seem to be moving. As I passed it, one of the staff opened the barrier to let the people queuing leave to go through the manual check. Her words were along the lines of ‘you’ll be hours waiting, so go through here.’

Incompetent, insular, pig-inefficient Ireland at its best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Probably has been already discussed. But anyway.

Is there any reason that there is no separate CTA (Irish and British) queue?

Going to the UK it seems there is.

Advertisement