Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Probably has been already discussed. But anyway.

Is there any reason that there is no separate CTA (Irish and British) queue?

Going to the UK it seems there is.

Why should there be a separate line for CTA victims? The majority of traffic to Ireland is from the rest of the world. China and India have 3bn odd people - most of whom, with money, have a Schengen visa. The common travel area is a dead legacy of British terrorism against Ireland. Britain is self-expelling itself from the EU. Why should Ireland give GB a backdoor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Impetus wrote: »
    Why should there be a separate line for CTA victims? The majority of traffic to Ireland is from the rest of the world. China and India have 3bn odd people - most of whom, with money, have a Schengen visa. The common travel area is a dead legacy of British terrorism against Ireland. Britain is self-expelling itself from the EU. Why should Ireland give GB a backdoor?

GB allows CTA travellers from IRELAND to enter in a separate area. No checks, nothing, out you go.

My question was why is that not reciprocated here. There should be a separate line for CTA travellers here too. Surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Again, we're not having the CTA argument for the 500th time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That was a moderation instruction... and this is a moderation warning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Going back to the new passport reading machines in T2, these will do nothing to speed up the process under normal circumstances when the passport hall is quiet, five or six people walking up to the booth with the correct documents ready will be manually processed faster than the same number queuing up for machine reader. The only use they might have is for providing additional outlets at busier times. It will be interesting to see if the manning levels in the booths start to reduce as the machines roll out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I have noticed that since the Guards have gone from checking passports, the new civilian immigration take a hell of a lot longer to check passports than the Gardai ever. When the Guards were checking they barely even glanced at them but now the civilian staff are a little more thorough which lengthens the process which is just a formality rather than a proper border control post.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I have noticed that since the Guards have gone from checking passports, the new civilian immigration take a hell of a lot longer to check passports than the Gardai ever. When the Guards were checking they barely even glanced at them but now the civilian staff are a little more thorough which lengthens the process which is just a formality rather than a proper border control post.

Stephen - I don’t want to have a pop at you but by looking you find! Ask Aer Lingus, Emirates and the other T2 Airlines is they are bringing more people back on “return to sender” flights. Ask if more false documents have been detected.

People, Irish people particularly, need to realise that entry to Ireland involves establishing their bona fides and to exercise a “proper control”.

Going back to the new passport reading machines in T2, these will do nothing to speed up the process under normal circumstances when the passport hall is quiet, five or six people walking up to the booth with the correct documents ready will be manually processed faster than the same number queuing up for machine reader. The only use they might have is for providing additional outlets at busier times. It will be interesting to see if the manning levels in the booths start to reduce as the machines roll out...

Agree fully!

Stephen - I don’t want to have a pop at you but by looking you find! Ask Aer Lingus, Emirates and the other T2 Airlines is they are bringing more people back on “return to sender” flights. Ask if more false documents have been detected.

People, Irish people particularly, need to realise that entry to Ireland involves establishing their bona fides and to exercise a “proper control”.

Coming from 3rd countries outside the EU.

I'm all for border controls for non EU flights but for domestic EU flights there is no point.

Coming from 3rd countries outside the EU.

I'm all for border controls for non EU flights but for domestic EU flights there is no point.

Domestic - I agree! Kerry and donegal twice a dat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Baller23

Seriously folks you aren't breathing the same air as some of the more informed posters, not to mention the tin foil hat wearing brigade. Dublin airport constitutes an international border regardless of whether it is the CTA, Schengen or otherwise, I will repeat what I've said in one of my earlier posts, there are some in here that will try anything to circumvent what is an extremely straightforward process, show up at an immigration booth or machine, have your passport at the ready and present it to the officer or machine as required then bish bosh job done see ya later. Why overly complicate things, you'd all be through a damned sight quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Baller23

The civilian staff actually check the documents now, before civilian takeover the gards would barely even make eye contact let alone properly look at my passport, I could have used a justice league lifetime membership pass at times and whilst that's great whizzing through but when you think about the security of the country it does somewhat pour cold water on the whole extra 20 seconds of day I just gained.

Baller23 wrote: »
    The civilian staff actually check the documents now, before civilian takeover the gards would barely even make eye contact let alone properly look at my passport, I could have used a justice league lifetime membership pass at times and whilst that's great whizzing through but when you think about the security of the country it does somewhat pour cold water on the whole extra 20 seconds of day I just gained.

But the civilian staff are legally obliged to let anyone with a valid EU passport through so security completely goes out the window. It dosen't matter if your a terrorist, paedophile, rapist, muderer or drug dealer if you have an EU passport your getting through no questions asked unless there is a European arrest warrant for you and if thats the case you get out of another country in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

Dublin airport constitutes an international border regardless of whether it is the CTA, Schengen or otherwise, I will repeat what I've said in one of my earlier posts, there are some in here that will try anything to circumvent what is an extremely straightforward process, show up at an immigration booth or machine, have your passport at the ready and present it to the officer or machine as required then bish bosh job done see ya later. Why overly complicate things, you'd all be through a damned sight quicker.

No it does not. CTA arguments aside, Donegal or wherever inside the 26 counties does not constitute an international border !

And the day Border Force requires a passport for us to get into the UK, or vice versa means so much more than the convenience many here equate to "report post"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    The egate is for use by passport/passport-card holders only. If you are not a passport/passport-card holder, continue to use the booth as normal.

I tried to use an Irish passport card today at Terminal 2 – and was told that the machines only accept regular passports.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

I went through on Monday night about 11.45pm and the pink jackets were telling people not to use it if they were in a rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭plodder

I went through T1 last night and there was no queue, so nobody was using the machines, but I did just to try them out, and they are definitely slower in that situation, but still pretty quick, and in any case it's not about getting through in seconds. It's about processing as many people as possible in a reasonable time-frame at busy periods, and the e-gates should do that (when people get used to them).

My outbound flight to Munich otoh was a pretty bad experience at German immigration. What an awful terminal, even with a handful of e-gates, it was very slow. A lot of people were queuing for the 1-2 manned booths, and I wouldn't be surprised if some were waiting up to an hour to get in. It would really put me off going back there. It's a horrible terminal and was a poor design even twenty years ago when they opened it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

ahbell wrote: »
    I went through on Monday night about 11.45pm and the pink jackets were telling people not to use it if they were in a rush.

Just like the Self-Service Checkouts in the Supermarket. Slooowwww.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

But far more of them and a small reduction in manned booths should mean better flow.

Incidentally my understanding is that the new machines are fully compatible with the passport card - maybe they were having issues when the poster made that post above?

Tbh it sounds like teething issues that should be resolved soon enough hopefully.

• Advertisement

Installation work on next 5 in T1 is nearly complete so hopefully see the full 10 there next week at some point.

The passport cards can be read by the software but some teething issues with the hardware because reading cards (properly) is still very new anywhere! Yes I know some airports do it but they only read “their own cards” - we want to read all compatible cards and that is what is generating a need for some more testing and other work.

A Gate does more than the manual desk so “like for like” is not slower (in fact like for like would be faster); plus the manual transaction is now 10-12 seconds and likely to increase; so the difference per transaction won’t be that big an issue in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Installation work on next 5 in T1 is nearly complete so hopefully see the full 10 there next week at some point.

The passport cards can be read by the software but some teething issues with the hardware because reading cards (properly) is still very new anywhere! Yes I know some airports do it but they only read “their own cards” - we want to read all compatible cards and that is what is generating a need for some more testing and other work.

A Gate does more than the manual desk so “like for like” is not slower (in fact like for like would be faster); plus the manual transaction is now 10-12 seconds and likely to increase; so the difference per transaction won’t be that big an issue in a few months.

That sounds about right, instead of adjusting the automatic gates to speed up the process get the guys in the booths to slow down their manual checks so no one notices how slow they are... :rolleyes:

I use these automatic gates in Brussels every other week, in and out because they’re much faster than the manual checks, I avoid them in DUS and other places in Germany because they’re slower, from my recent trial in T2 I’ll also be avoiding them in DUB unless it gets me out of the snaking queue.
    Also last time I passed through T2 it was quiet so I asked the guy if I could use the Passport card and he said no, I asked him if there were any plans to extend their use to accept passport cards and he said he wasn’t aware of any...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Berlin TXL has them in Terminal C and has for at least the last 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Goes without saying, 5am this morning, not a single one of the machines was working in T2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭plodder

They can only operate I imagine when there is a staff member available to operate them. If it's a very quiet time of day (as I'd expect 5am to be) then there might be only one person on duty, and they would have to sit in the manned booth. I don't see the issue though. They are really there for the busy times, not for when it's quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Goes without saying, 5am this morning, not a single one of the machines was working in T2

Were you delayed as a result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That was during the trial of the old machines.

Clearly they’re having some rollout issues with the new ones.

Advertisement