Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

INIS don't own the airport, INIS can't put up signs! *End broken record*.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

trellheim wrote: »
    The signage issues rears its head again

If you descend from the 100 gates escalators inbound you are faced with a corridor that looks inviting . Instead you are expected to turn right, right, right, left and into a badly set up set of tapes and a gum chewing redshirt whose job is to rest against a wall.

I was 5th off the plane and watched the 4 ahead of me ( for once it was quiet ) who turned out to be people who didnt know the area , try and walk straight ahead in said corridor.

Of course you cant do that so I had to do some directing amid the usual rolleyes .

This comes back to what i'd said - it doesn't hurt to put up signs. If you say "not my job" I will be more than usually annoyed at what you think the service you provide is.

I presume your last paragraph is directed at me. Prepare to be annoyed. Wayfinding within the airport is nothing to do with us; maybe drop an email to the airport’s customer experience team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

INIS don't own the airport, INIS can't put up signs! *End broken record*.

Untrue

Walk from any arrivals gate and you will see Inis Signs ; for a single example, referenced up-thread, there are (poor) signs referencing the E-gates introduction, they belong to Inis.

TV - yes, sorry, I did mean you ( in the general INIS sense, not personally) . As you say .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Untrue

Walk from any arrivals gate and you will see Inis Signs ; for a single example, referenced up-thread, there are (poor) signs referencing the E-gates introduction, they belong to Inis.

To the best of my knowledge, they don't. Just because something says INIS, doesn't mean DAA didn't put it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Untrue

TV - yes, sorry, I did mean you ( in the general INIS sense, not personally) . As you say .

It's quite normal in these situations for the building owner/operator to not allow anyone else erect signage.

• Advertisement

You will note that I did not mention the entity that put the signs up , that is irrelevant.

The net result is the same ; INIS signage, that came from INIS, on view to inbound passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

You will note that I did not mention the entity that put the signs up , that is irrelevant.

The net result is the same ; INIS signage, that came from INIS, on view to inbound passengers.

It's not irrelevant, you said so yourself - it doesn't hurt to put up signs. Well it does if you're not allowed to put up signs!

You're also conflating two issues into one so that you can continue your tiresome critical narrative of INIS. You had an issue with directions and wayfinding which you were clearly told is down to the DAA to manage. The INIS signage you're criticising is not wayfinding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It might be better to take this up directly with the bodies concerned, and perhaps in a more constructive tone?

I appreciate you are frustrated about this and other aspects, but I tend to find a constructive well worded email tends to be more successful in getting changes. Complaining about it here isn’t going to change anything.

Thanks for the comments.

Is there a user forum for the airport where DAA, agencies and end users can bring these things up.

Thanks for the comments.

Is there a user forum for the airport where DAA, agencies and end users can bring these things up.

Email their customer experience team (directly).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thanks for the comments.

This is the correct method of addressing your concerns about the matter at hand. I hope you get some sort of response from the DAA and Im sure that the group here would appreciate if you shared the response.
    As I stated previously this circular discussion has to stop. I gave leeway before by not issuing a warning or a ban. But your combative posts and the number of reported posts generated by them are in danger of closing this thread. (which has created a positive information channel)
    I didnt want to shut down the thread or just end any 'troublesome' thread. (as this isnt welcomed by the community) but we still have to deal with the fallout from multiple reported posts.

Please be reminded of my previous Mod post. I doubt anyone here will disagree that Dublin airport has its issues but this point I hope you can see that this is not the correct channel to grind your axe. This post is your warning, next steps is a ban.

Tenger wrote: »
    Right at this stage I feel that this this thread is going around in circles..................................

I don’t want to close the thread or stifle the discussion but it needs to be a discussion. Banging on about the same issues each week will not solve the perceived issue. No one on boards can fix this.
    If any poster is that bothered then they should engage with the correct authorities. (DAA, INIS, Dept of Transport, IAA etc.) .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Three people ahead of me in the queue at about 6pm last night at T1. Through in less than a minute. Loads of E-Gates and none of them being used which makes sense as going to an officer was much quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Thanks for the comments.

I've no idea but there are customer experience contact details for both the DAA and INIS. Perhaps ask them that very question? Regular users can observe things that others may not.

Scroll down on both of these pages:

DAA:
    https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/useful-information/customer-enquiry/contact-details - Customer Comments towards the top

INIS:
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/contact - There's a feedback section towards the bottom

I'd drop them both an email and perhaps follow it up with a phone call to discuss your concerns about the infrastructure and signage - every bit of constructive user feedback is useful.

Thank you for the reply. Is anyone working in the airport aware of any such forum ?

Thank you for the reply. Is anyone working in the airport aware of any such forum ?

If you want to raise issues directly with the decision makers and responsible managers; you have been provided with suggestions and links. Engage with the agencies concerned directly and see if any suggestions you have are implemented. Posting things in fora may make the poster feel they have raised an issue but in reality that does not represent raising an issue with the agency.

You misunderstand I think. I do not refer to an Internet Forum but in fact a regular ( face-to-face ) meeting of agencies , DAA and some end users to work for a better experience .

The question asks if anyone working in the airport knows if any such exists. Based on replies, I do not think one does. I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

T1 immigration halls are planned to be doubled in size (queuing areas) by Q3 2019.

Credit where its due - signage has appeared regarding the Border in the approach to the desks at T1.

Came through at 2200 last night through the desks with a zero queing time and reasonably busy.

To anyone who has caused this to happen, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

Picked the parents up wed evening, T1, took over 1 hour to clear passport control, they only have canadian passports but still, thats a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Arrived through T2 about 22:30 last night along with a few other delayed flights, none of the egates appeared to be working judging by the scrum around them, still got through in under five minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

came back through T1 on Monday at 18:15, there were no delays of any significance then, there might have been 2 people ahead of me at the booth I went to, the E gates were operating, but there were fewer people at the booths, so that was the way to go.

This most recent trip was interesting in as much that the time to get through security when going outbound (Saturday 0500) was better than the time at Bristol on Monday at 1500, it's taken a long time, but the system at Dublin appears to be being better managed than it was, in that they seem to be getting the throughput at the scanners, which didn't used to be the case.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Last few times through both T1 and T2 have been a breeze, but they do seem to take an age to process non-EU passports. A Kiwi colleague travelling with us from Birmingham last week had to queue for close on an hour to get through.....although the INIS operative suggested they didn't need to queue :confused:

Something for her to look into before travelling here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This most recent trip was interesting in as much that the time to get through security when going outbound (Saturday 0500) was better than the time at Bristol on Monday at 1500, it's taken a long time, but the system at Dublin appears to be being better managed than it was, in that they seem to be getting the throughput at the scanners, which didn't used to be the case.

This is very true. T1 screening seems to max at 10 out of 14 belts running but the throughput is probably the best its been. However increased numbers now mean that you are frequently queuing to get through the boarding pass scanners at 0520 on Monday morning ; this prob cant be solved unless they open the other 4 belts as well

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I really don't have time to read the thread but this nonsense has been going on for years.

Can someone please explain to me why passengers had to wait a few nights back for over an hour in a long queue for EU immigration control while non EU went through real quick?

There were kiosks empty.

I was very angry and I live here. I think it's an appalling first image for Ireland.

Just give me the headlines, what the hell is the problem?

Seriously someone needs a boot up their ass, that's all I know.

Everyone there was really perplexed and annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I really don't have time to read the thread but this nonsense has been going on for years.

Can someone please explain to me why passengers had to wait a few nights back for over an hour in a long queue for EU immigration control while non EU went through real quick?

There were kiosks empty.

I was very angry and I live here. I think it's an appalling first image for Ireland.

Just give me the headlines, what the hell is the problem?

Seriously someone needs a boot up their ass, that's all I know.

Everyone there was really perplexed and annoyed.

Personally i would leave the EU line and just walk up to the non EU line if their was no queue and take out my passport.
    If they said anything, i would point out the length of both queue's
    Both desks can perform the same checks on passports.
    I walked through the non EU line a few weeks ago with my Wife and the lady said nothing to me.
    In fact, it actually took me longer than it would have in the EU line so i guess it can balance itself out sometimes.

I have seen people being directed back to the EU queue , so you may have been luck of the draw to get somebody nice.

Was this in T1 or T2

I have seen people being directed back to the EU queue , so you may have been luck of the draw to get somebody nice.

Was this in T1 or T2

T1 @ 6 A.M

If its not affecting any non EU passengers then i don't see any issues.
    I look at it the same way as when checking in.
    Business class counters will usually take economy passengers when they are not busy.

Was this in T1 or T2

T1 @ 6.15 A.M

If its not affecting any non EU passengers then i don't see any issues.
    I look at it the same way as when checking in.
    Business class counters will usually take economy passengers when they are not busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I travel with my partner who is American.

I've previously been sent to the EU queue despite presenting at the non-EU queue with her. That resulted in a wait of twenty plus minutes – bit frustrating really.

To be fair though I normally have to wait for her :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement