Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DUB Passport/Immigration Queue Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

In all my years of using Dublin, I have never had to wait more than a minute to be processed by immigration.

Same here, it's the thirty minute queue for processing that people are complaining about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭plodder

Same here, it's the thirty minute queue for processing that people are complaining about...
    Well, they are claiming that the average wait in the queue is around 5 minutes. The time it takes to be processed at the top of the queue is of less interest and would be of the order of seconds for Irish passport holders I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I finds it pays never to book the Ryanair homeward wave flights. Never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

I have posted this before but I’ll post it again for clarity. The transaction time varies between 6 seconds and a little over 20 seconds on average for an EU passenger using the manual or eGates. These times are validated by surveys. Unofficially of course some Irish would be processed in 1-2 seconds. A non EU passenger can expect an average of about 50 seconds but again some will be quicker.

The queueing time will depend on a lot of variables but for well in excess of 90% of EU passengers the queue time is less than five minutes and for virtually 100% it’s less than 10 minutes.

The queue measurement system operates off Bluetooth and WiFi and essentially tracks devices as they enter the Terminal and move to the hall and then exit a booth. It does not capture 100% of passengers but does capture a robust sample and is accepted under various audits as a legitimate measure on the security side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have posted this before but I’ll post it again for clarity. The transaction time varies between 6 seconds and a little over 20 seconds on average for an EU passenger using the manual or eGates. These times are validated by surveys. Unofficially of course some Irish would be processed in 1-2 seconds. A non EU passenger can expect an average of about 50 seconds but again some will be quicker.

The queueing time will depend on a lot of variables but for well in excess of 90% of EU passengers the queue time is less than five minutes and for virtually 100% it’s less than 10 minutes.

The queue measurement system operates off Bluetooth and WiFi and essentially tracks devices as they enter the Terminal and move to the hall and then exit a booth. It does not capture 100% of passengers but does capture a robust sample and is accepted under various audits as a legitimate measure on the security side.

where does the 3 minute average fit in? Are these stats available to view online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

plodder wrote: »
    Compared to e-gates I've used in Germany, they seemed to me to be a lot less efficient in that they only process one person at a time, whereas the German ones read the passport details from one person while they do the image recognition of the person ahead. Also, a bigger problem (iirc) is that they are completely autonomous and you have to exit the machine and join another queue when the machine is not able to recognise you. The German ones just pass your details on to an officer who does the recognition the old way, without you leaving the machine.

This is pretty critical, I think. The Irish gates have a staff member going up and down and pulling people out of the machine to send them elsewhere when it's not working, and then the system really breaks down - I was stood in a line when she pulled someone out, and the lady in front of me then thought the machine wasn't working and it took for the staffer to walk the line and come back again for the lady to ask her what she should do.

The whole system needs a rethink in terms of the user experience.

where does the 3 minute average fit in? Are these stats available to view online?

The stats are daa stats that are supplied to bother DTTAS and Dept Justice. DTTAS has routinely released them under Freedom if Information.

The way the stats are reported on a daily and weekly basis show the queue times in bands graphically. The first band is “0-10 minutes”, then it goes up in tens. These reports show the 90%+ as less than minutes.

There is separate reporting then that shows averages and this shows an EU “line” that hovers around 3 minutes.

Combine the two and that’s where the statements around queue times come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

"What that means is that 50% queue an average of around 3 minutes"

If 'most' passengers have an average of 3 minutes then what you said is incorrect. 50% is not 'most'. Untill we know what percentage 'most' is comprised of there is little we can say other than it is more than 50%.
    In the absence of solid facts, I interpret "most" as corporate spin for 1 person more than 50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My big problem with delays is how long it takes the airline to get passengers off the plane itself and then the long walk down as far as the immigration hall. I hate that walk and so do a lot of tourists it creates an awful impression of Ireland. First impressions matter!

I have emailed Dublin airport complaining about that before and I got no reply very rude and poor customer service. We pay your wages at the end of the day guys and as well it is representing the whole of Ireland not just the airport it self

But the actual showing your passport to the guard at the immigration border takes about 15-30 seconds and you are waved on. Ppl are focusing on the wrong area that is causing the delay.

Why does it take ages for the plane once parked up to let everyone off. And why don’t dublin airport renovate that long walk and get rid of it no need for it in this day in age

Why does it take ages for the plane once parked up to let everyone off. And why don’t dublin airport renovate that long walk and get rid of it no need for it in this day in age
    You need to stop flying Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You need to stop flying Ryanair.

Are they the worst for it? Why is that

The stats are daa stats that are supplied to bother DTTAS and Dept Justice. DTTAS has routinely released them under Freedom if Information.

The way the stats are reported on a daily and weekly basis show the queue times in bands graphically. The first band is “0-10 minutes”, then it goes up in tens. These reports show the 90%+ as less than minutes.

There is separate reporting then that shows averages and this shows an EU “line” that hovers around 3 minutes.

Combine the two and that’s where the statements around queue times come from.

Are those stats available online or does every individual have to make a freedom of information request to see them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

My big problem with delays is how long it takes the airline to get passengers off the plane itself and then the long walk down as far as the immigration hall. I hate that walk and so do a lot of tourists it creates an awful impression of Ireland. First impressions matter!

I have emailed Dublin airport complaining about that before and I got no reply very rude and poor customer service. We pay your wages at the end of the day guys and as well it is representing the whole of Ireland not just the airport it self

But the actual showing your passport to the guard at the immigration border takes about 15-30 seconds and you are waved on. Ppl are focusing on the wrong area that is causing the delay.

Depends on the airline. Cityjet frustratingly hold you till hand baggage is unloaded to the steps , its one of the reasons I avoid them.

Ryanair will get you off the plane as soon as they possibly can, depend on it, this is something they are excellent at, better than any other airline

Aer Lingus are too lazy to run the back steps most of the time, if FR can do it theres no reason EI cant.

All that said the long walk is DAA's laziness ; the 100 gates should be an independent terminal done nicely in the old building

None of this helps with immigration screening tho !

Post script : if you think you are waiting long for FR, I have heard of horror story long waits for inbound TATL gates

trellheim wrote: »
    Depends on the airline. Cityjet frustratingly hold you till hand baggage is unloaded to the steps , its one of the reasons I avoid them.

Ryanair will get you off the plane as soon as they possibly can, depend on it, this is something they are excellent at, better than any other airline

Aer Lingus are too lazy to run the back steps most of the time, if FR can do it theres no reason EI cant.

All that said the long walk is DAA's laziness ; the 100 gates should be an independent terminal done nicely in the old building

None of this helps with immigration screening tho !

Post script : if you think you are waiting long for FR, I have heard of horror story long waits for inbound TATL gates

Same here, this is a crazy situation. I missed an onward connection in CDG due to this. The aircraft was late leaving Dublin as they were late towing it onto stand for an early departure, by the time we landed in Paris I was already under pressure then despite having no baggage myself they held us all onboard while we waited for the loaders to arrive and place the hold baggage at the bottom of the steps. Only once they'd done this they allowed us off the aircraft. This event coincided with the last flight I ever took with them...

Are those stats available online or does every individual have to make a freedom of information request to see them?

They are not online as such, they belong to Dublin Airport - email them and ask them for them. Or, go to the DTTAS website and search their FOI catalogues. I know that the information has been released several times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,345 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No excuse for not publishing that online as a matter of routine.

Scrap the cap!

They are not online as such, they belong to Dublin Airport - email them and ask them for them. Or, go to the DTTAS website and search their FOI catalogues. I know that the information has been released several times.

yeah that was a waste of time. The FOI is in the catalogue but they dont have the detail on their website.

The data is Dublin Airport’s, as I said earlier ask them for it or ask them to publish say the last months worth. Or specifically ask DTTAS under FOI, it will only take an email, there is no charge.

As a frequent user of the system (once a week) I can honestly say from experience probably well over 50% of the time I'm through in under five minutes (including the queue) which is acceptable but it's the five or six occasions where the queue snakes down the corridor and the queue has taken twenty or thirty minutes that really wound me up.
    It has improved an awful lot recently but I try and avoid late evening arrivals into T1 (especially on a Friday) after a few bad experiences.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just to put things into context, Virgin Atlantic released a press comment earlier that the queues to get through Passport Control at Heathrow reached their longest on July 6th, with a delay of 2.5 HOURS.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Just to pit things into context, Virgin Atlantic released a press comment earlier that the queues to get through Passport Control at Heathrow reached their longest on July 6th, with a delay of 2.5 HOURS.

Funnily enough I was going to say similar. Currently queues in Heathrow have gotten ridiculous, yet people think it only happens here. There again I passed through Heathrow one morning in 2007 and it took over an hour to get through passport control in T4.

Work is starting on an expansion of the passport area in T1, more to facilitate queues being held in the passport area and not up the walkways. In fairness the last two times I passed through T1 security at 7pm on a Friday and 10pm on a Wednesday I was through in less than 5 mins. We have a tendency to only report the bad and not the good. There again I’ve suffered long passport waits in multiple countries and just except the bad with the good.

Funnily enough I was going to say similar. Currently queues in Heathrow have gotten ridiculous, yet people think it only happens here. There again I passed through Heathrow one morning in 2007 and it took over an hour to get through passport control in T4.

Work is starting on an expansion of the passport area in T1, more to facilitate queues being held in the passport area and not up the walkways. In fairness the last two times I passed through T1 security at 7pm on a Friday and 10pm on a Wednesday I was through in less than 5 mins. We have a tendency to only report the bad and not the good. There again I’ve suffered long passport waits in multiple countries and just except the bad with the good.

The ideal design is one large Immigration Hall (won’t happen); after that it had to be said the main T1 Hall is wrong from a design standpoint. Then, once the imperfect is the starting point, making it bigger needs to happen ASAP.

The problem in the UK is the design of gates they have. Make a mistake feeding the passport and bang, you are locked out, go for manual check. I have seen it hundreds of times where older people made mistakes only to be barked at to go to manual control.

They are then confused when I am through and gone in 5 to 10 seconds.

T2 last night after the usual 300 gates death march ; less than 22 seconds through the checkpoint

T1 last week : 8 minutes ( round 2350 ) although I was joining from the 200 gates where it looked like the 100 gates was a lot longer and up the escalator.

Although i take the point of the Hall being badly designed the redshirts do themselves no favours in managing it and some intelligence would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

trellheim wrote: »
    T2 last night after the usual 300 gates death march ; less than 22 seconds through the checkpoint

T1 last week : 8 minutes ( round 2350 ) although I was joining from the 200 gates where it looked like the 100 gates was a lot longer and up the escalator.

Although i take the point of the Hall being badly designed the redshirts do themselves no favours in managing it and some intelligence would go a long way.

Intelligence in general would go a long way for most things airport wise, but 22seconds and 8 minutes are not bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭bikeman1

At 00:05 on Monday Night / Tuesday morning I was through in 30 seconds, T1. All booths open which was great to see. I was expecting to report a long wait time. Credit where credit is due. There was a slight lull in arrivals as they swapped runways from 28 to 16 and we were first Ryanair in.

Did you come through the 100 or 200 gates . It is luck of the draw with the last wave of FR inbounds

A lot of airports, BRU included, don’t manage their queues at all. Also the immigration service waits for the passenger to present, they don’t even call pax forward, rarely if ever speak and practically never smile.

This is quite true. Malaga on the morning inbounds is horrendous 2xdesks for 4 of 5 uk and ire non schengen flights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Just came back from UK through T2. Showed my driver's license and was asked for a boarding pass to prove I came from the UK. However I had checked in on the app and the boarding pass was no longer available. I showed the itinerary on the app but was told in this situation I'd have to show a passport in future. Not sure what's correct in this situation.

Also, all of the automatic machines were roped off tonight.

Advertisement