Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automate kitchen light

Options
  • 20-05-2017 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to have my kitchen main light on a motion sensor system so that we wouldn't have to bother with light switch at all. It would need to incorporate dusk sensing and a suitable delay to prevent switching off if someone stops moving for a minute. Wireless would be good too.
    I've a homeeasy wireless switch controlling a light in another room and it works faultlessly so I would be happy with a similar wireless solution here. I see home easy do a wireless pir but difficult to figure out if it can simply be used to turn a light on or what bits are required.
    Any simple ideas? Don't need anything that can be controlled from outside the home.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Philips Hue light bulbs + Hue Brigde + Hue Motion sensor, will do everything you want. Check out amazon.co.uk for them and check out the Philips Hue FAQ on this forum for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Am I right in thinking that the bridge needs to be wire connected to a router as opposed to just connecting to wifi? Seems like a backward step.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mickdw wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the bridge needs to be wire connected to a router as opposed to just connecting to wifi? Seems like a backward step.

Yes, it is wired to your router, as are most bridges.

The reason being, ethernet is FAR more reliable then wifi. You could go wireless using a wireless access point if you really had too, but more costly and less reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sounds like you just need a hardwired pir tbh.

About 30-40 quid and would give you no issues. I've two internal ones in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Stoner wrote: »
    Sounds like you just need a hardwired pir tbh.

About 30-40 quid and would give you no issues. I've two internal ones in my house.

Any particular type suit best. Do they all incorporate daylight sensing and adjustable delay in switching off the light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sorry for the delay.
    They all don't have daylight no.

People like Robus, edmundsons etc

I like CP electronics

Phibsboro Electrical in Dublin have theben units also very good

Advertisement