Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing an IM 2020

Options
  • 20-05-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,
    need help in picking a good IM course.
    After going the best part of two years without doing any racing and limited training, 'Had a Child' who is now only starting to sleep without waking! before that he could wake ever 20 - 30 min a night.
    Anyway, been doing some light running & zwifting mainly the plain is to do a sprint tri in Sept. Next year two 2 Standard and The Lost Sheep which will be 2018, in 2019 do two half IM if I can afford it, or again just do the Lost Sheep and in 2020 do a full IM.
    I am a person that burns easily and can't stand the heat, which course would suit?
    I was looking at Barcelona in Oct, but it would be my son's first few weeks in School. so I would need something in the summer time. How good is Wales?
    My last race was in 2015 which was the Lost sheep.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Copenhagen perhaps would be a good one for you if you're not great in the heat or maybe Sweden. 2020 is a long way away though :)
    Any of them could have perfect weather conditions for us pasty Irish or could be too hot for us. Austria 2015 was fine for me, we got perfect weather that day.

Would have no interest in any UK ones myself. Wales is hilly, chances of terrible weather, terrible road surfaces (I think)...and lots of Welsh people :p One big advantage to Wales though, so easy to drive over and try out the bike course. Considered it myself for this year but one of the main things that put me off was the 1K run from water to T1. Oryx has done it before so if she's still around here she can give an actual opinion rather than my presumptions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭docker.io

Copenhagen perhaps would be a good one for you if you're not great in the heat or maybe Sweden. 2020 is a long way away though :)
    presumptions. :)

Thanks, I was looking at 2019 two years away but have 4 weddings coming up in 2018/2019 so money will be in short.

I will check out Copenhagen,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hardman in Kerry in August? Cheap weekend away and arguably a lot more genuine kudos than a branded race on foreign soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Hardman in Kerry in August? Cheap weekend away and arguably a lot more genuine kudos than a branded race on foreign soil.

Hugh????

I was looking at Copenhagen, Seems like a nice race, anyone ever done Challenge Roth ?

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »

I thought IM was meant to bring out a Full Distance back in 2016. I guess they couldn't get the permission, it is a shame that Galway had fallen victim to the city council.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

docker.io wrote: »
    I thought IM was meant to bring out a Full Distance back in 2016. I guess they couldn't get the permission, it is a shame that Galway had fallen victim to the city council.

emmmmmm was there a demand?

tunney wrote: »
    emmmmmm was there a demand?

Who which race? Galway or Dublin full? I would image that they may be some demand for the Full in dublin, it looks like the 70.3 is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

In the exact same situation as yourself OP.

I plan on getting back into Tri with a sprint in September. Moby Dick in Youghal.
    My aim is also for a 2020 Ironman.
    I'm set on Barcelona. The logistics work well for us.

How good is Wales? I did it in 2013 and the aim was simply to finish. Managed it in 14.48.
    We had some mixed weather. 4 seasons in one day. Thankfully the swim was mild but it tends to be choppy usually. It's Wales after all.

It's a great atmosphere in Tenby but I found the course tough. If you are planning on doing a PB it's not going to happen.
    The bike course is hilly and it spat me and my lack of cycling fitness out. I didn't cycle enough. Simple as that.
    There are a number of climbs but they are simply low gear spins.
    There is one out of the saddle effort at Wiseman's bridge that is 16% and is tough. You do it twice as well.
    The rest of the course is just relentlessly up and down hilly. It can also be windy.
    In hindsight I didn't see the point of using a TT bike. A good road bike would have been better actually.
    If you planned on doing it, I'd focus on superior cycling fitness.
    My background was as a marathon runner going in, so I found the marathon part ok. I just paced it out.
    And it's not flat either.

When I looked to do another IM, I looked at the bike route for Barcelona and it was like manna from heaven compared to the IM Wales course profile. Flat and fast. Thanks very much :)

Advertisement