Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian dollars in city

Options
  • 20-05-2017 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking to buy some Canadian Dollars in Galway. The Ulster bank and BoI told me it would take 5+ days, too late for me.

I know I can just use an ATM in Canada, but if I can do it "charge free" where here I will.

Anyone know a place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking to buy some Canadian Dollars in Galway. The Ulster bank and BoI told me it would take 5+ days, too late for me.

I know I can just use an ATM in Canada, but if I can do it "charge free" where here I will.

Anyone know a place?
    So maybe as an alternate plan just get them at the airport bureau de change. Yes I know it will be a little bit extra but unless An Post or another bank can help you it will be more or less the same as transaction fee's from a ATM.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I got mine in the post office, they can get them more quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use american dollars and feign ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Buddy74 wrote: »
    So maybe as an alternate plan just get them at the airport bureau de change.

You'll often get a better rate if you carry Euro and exchange on the other end, as you'll then be the one holding the foreign currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

J o e wrote: »
    You'll often get a better rate if you carry Euro and exchange on the other end, as you'll then be the one holding the foreign currency.

Do you think that either buying Canadian dollars in Ireland or doing this will get you a better rate than the ATM? Is it Canadian ATM charges that is bothering you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

AnPost offer prepaid currency cards, one of them for Canadian $. Maybe that would be an option?

You can walk into the post office and buy them if you have ID and proof of address.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Foreign+Exchange/Choose+the+PostFX+MasterCard+Currency+Card.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I always just go to the first ATM I find in the airport. Generally banks charge each other the most favourable fx rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

The credit union will usually have your currency the following day, commission free also.

I think the exchange rate when using your card in ATM's there is often better, but I like to bring some cash with me in case my card gets swallowed by the machine on day one.

Advertisement