Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug gangs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Does any of this **** get covered in the local meeja? I don't buy the Munster/News and Star or listen to Deise AM.

John Halligan or John Ahearne was on WLR a while back describing exactly what was said in that article. The gang has left some families so destitute, they had to put their children into care.

They are absolutely ruthless when it comes to getting their money back.

If something is not done about them soon, some housing estates in Waterford will end up going they way of Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm not a big fan of heavy handed coppering or application of the laws outer limits but internment without trail is not something I'd be against in this case. Its not as if the criminals are not known and I don't see anyone marching to get them released either!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

A lot of people don't care as long as it's confined to certain areas,imagine the uproar if dealers/scumbags were roaming around the likes of butlerstown,dunmore road etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

A lot of people don't care as long as it's confined to certain areas,imagine the uproar if dealers/scumbags were roaming around the likes of butlerstown,dunmore road etc.

That's true, the attitude of its not in my back yard I don't care.
    Still though we should be thinking about what kind of a future we want for our kids, grandkids.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    John Halligan or John Ahearne was on WLR a while back describing exactly what was said in that article. The gang has left some families so destitute, they had to put their children into care.

They are absolutely ruthless when it comes to getting their money back.

If something is not done about them soon, some housing estates in Waterford will end up going they way of Limerick.

How did it get so bad that their kids had to go into care, that is just shocking in this day & age that people can end up in such a situation.
    I hope they got their kids back & got some help to rebuild their lives.

• Advertisement

jopax wrote: »
    How did it get so bad that their kids had to go into care, that is just shocking in this day & age that people can end up in such a situation.
    I hope they got their kids back & got some help to rebuild their lives.

I guess they had all their money taking off them by the gang, so they couldn't afford rent, food, clothing etc for their children.

Incidentally, I've never ever heard of Nigerian or Moroccan gangs that are meant to be in on the act but I've heard plenty about Eastern Europeans doing the rounds. And I'm pretty close to the coal face (unfortunately) if you know what I mean.

This was posted by John Hearne on his facebook page on 1st April 2017.
    I was 2 hours in the barracks one night and for 2 hours the Garda threatened a girl if she made a statement they would report her to her school and her mother would be reported to social services and fair play to the family they made the statement and we won out a high court case was dropped another night for 2 and a half hours they wouldn't take a statement off me when my life was threatened by a gang member i had to stage a sit in it then went to court and they asked me to drop the charges and another time they charged me with assault to fit me up and refused to take seven witness statements that would clear me but later on they apologised when they found out my dad was a Garda and they couldn't get away with it and i was cleared and i feel sad for the decent Garda out their. It's like the vhi if you have money your ok remember kinneally their should be a criminal investigation into this. But when people elect criminals like Haughey Burke and Lawlor what do you expect it's a rotten corrupt state when FF and Fg left children die of neglect in homes and allowed children to be trafficked to America and they continue to vote for them when their going to spend millions defending Apple to dodge taxes if you vote for them it's your fault.

So the Gardaí are also a major part of the problem.

BTW, I am far from a Sinn Fein supporter.

I guess they had all their money taking off them by the gang, so they couldn't afford rent, food, clothing etc for their children.

Incidentally, I've never ever heard of Nigerian or Moroccan gangs that are meant to be in on the act but I've heard plenty about Eastern Europeans doing the rounds. And I'm pretty close to the coal face (unfortunately) if you know what I mean.

I had heard stories of what was happening in that area but I didn't realise how bad it was. Absolute animals terrorising families like that, if there was no children involved it would be bad enough, but for innocent kids to have to pay the price.
    I'm not too surprised about the eastern Europeans as I have heard stories of bags of white powder changing hands in broad daylight in the park.
    I was very surprised to read about Nigerian gangs, unless this is a new thing here.

This was posted by John Hearne on his facebook page on 1st April 2017.

So the Gardaí are also a major part of the problem.

BTW, I am far from a Sinn Fein supporter.

This is absolutely shocking, why on earth are the guards defending these scumbags.
    It's actually hard to believe it happened, talk about corruption. Where is the justice gone, am actually speechless.
    Were the guards even held accountable for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 potatohouse

you would not believe the amount of money gangs make from the cannabis trade alone. in the millions/tens of millions. if you think some of that doesn't make its way to the boys in blue you're living in fantasy land. full legalization would cut them off and improve the country tenfold. hilarious to think in this day and age that some would vote no if it came to referendum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Only read it on the journal.ie through the link jopax posted,was it reported on any other local or national media,any comments from waterford politicans?

Well John Hearne as done a lot in fairness in combating these thugs. Even had two cars burnt out and had shots fired at his house.

Wonder will there be anything on Deise AM tomorrow,must be more to this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Were the guards even held accountable for anything.
    not yet

you would not believe the amount of money gangs make from the cannabis trade alone. in the millions/tens of millions. if you think some of that doesn't make its way to the boys in blue you're living in fantasy land. full legalization would cut them off and improve the country tenfold. hilarious to think in this day and age that some would vote no if it came to referendum!

Yes when you put it like that it does make sense that there must be corruption in the guards as well.
    I suppose I'm more shocked that they are so brazen about it,. I would have thought that if you were on the take that a certain level of discretion is needed.
    The guards that refused to take the statement are obviously the guilty ones, so how does it go on without anyone reporting them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

I had heard stories of what was happening in that area but I didn't realise how bad it was. Absolute animals terrorising families like that, if there was no children involved it would be bad enough, but for innocent kids to have to pay the price.
    I'm not too surprised about the eastern Europeans as I have heard stories of bags of white powder changing hands in broad daylight in the park.
    I was very surprised to read about Nigerian gangs, unless this is a new thing here.

Take a walk down the side of Tesco Poleberry oretty much any evening. You might have to do a lap or 2 before you get any activity. You'll see plenty of our "new Europeans" supplying heroin to local users, mainly emanating from the hostel on Bath St(not neccessarily resident there).

And yes I have contacted the gardai multiple times about this, the response has always been comically poor.

Sosurface wrote: »
    Take a walk down the side of Tesco Poleberry oretty much any evening. You might have to do a lap or 2 before you get any activity. You'll see plenty of our "new Europeans" supplying heroin to local users, mainly emanating from the hostel on Bath St(not neccessarily resident there).

And yes I have contacted the gardai multiple times about this, the response has always been comically poor.

Well if it is illegal & the guards don't want to know why not just leagalise it & be done with it.
    No wonder this country will attract foreign gangs if it's so easy to deal here. It's such a pity because it takes the look off an area if you see that carry on, especially if you were a tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You will actually find many of these 'weak willed skangers' suffering from very complex issues, the most common being, mental health issues, complex behavioural problems and personality disorders, things such as autism would be common, complex learning disabilities such as dyslexia etc would also be common. You will find many of our institutions such as our educational system, health system, legal systems etc exasperate these issues. Many of these peoples issues would also be undiagnosed, it would also be common for these 'weak willed' people to come from very complex family environments, in which adding further complications to their issues.

Strangely, countries such as America have been following this kind of thinking for decades now which has resulted in more prisons, more incarcerations and oddly increasing drug use! It's time to move on from this Neanderthal thinking

Complex behavioral problems me hole. Being a scumbag isn't a complex issue. It's a life choice for the majority of them.

I'm sure there are a few genuine cases where mental health issues lead to drug abuse but the vast majority of scumbag junkies deserve no sympathy, and resources would be better spent elsewhere than trying to help them.

I know of 3 or 4 heroin junkies and the estate they currently live in would be a lot better off if they f*cked off and died of an OD.

They've terrorised good people for years, even before they became addicted.

I have lived just by Bath street for about 8 years now, I was in college and it was convient for me. In saying that, in the past 3 years the amount of drugs and trouble going on in Manor/Bath street and the surrounding area is shocking :eek:

I can't walk down my street after about 7 at night without getting harrassed asking for money, I have walked out of my house there was people bloodied lying on the ground, people openly selling taking drugs, even last week I went into Madigans to get some cans of Guinness and there was a guy about 50 with face tattoos selling drugs to kids that were about 14 years of age.

When I first moved to this street the main problems were the students who acted the maggot and occasionaly thrashed the car or something but now this area is a lot more seedy and seem more dangerous.

I recently just had my first kid, so I will need to move out of this general area for the safety of my family, with the current rental market that is going to be hard though.

It's a shame how the city is becomign worse and worse, but to be fair at least the city is going to look nice very soon with the apple market canopy etc...... I just hope its not blighted by the druggies.

I have lived just by Bath street for about 8 years now, I was in college and it was convient for me. In saying that, in the past 3 years the amount of drugs and trouble going on in Manor/Bath street and the surrounding area is shocking :eek:

I can't walk down my street after about 7 at night without getting harrassed asking for money, I have walked out of my house there was people bloodied lying on the ground, people openly selling taking drugs, even last week I went into Madigans to get some cans of Guinness and there was a guy about 50 with face tattoos selling drugs to kids that were about 14 years of age.

When I first moved to this street the main problems were the students who acted the maggot and occasionaly thrashed the car or something but now this area is a lot more seedy and seem more dangerous.

I recently just had my first kid, so I will need to move out of this general area for the safety of my family, with the current rental market that is going to be hard though.

It's a shame how the city is becomign worse and worse, but to be fair at least the city is going to look nice very soon with the apple market canopy etc...... I just hope its not blighted by the druggies.

It's just the scourge of drugs in this country now has made it unrecognisable to say 20 years ago. I know there was drugs back then but miniscule in comparison to now, especially the hard drugs.
    I wouldn't want to raise a child around that kind of environment, it somehow normalises this behaviour as tolerable.
    There is a lot of good in the city ,& a lot of potential, but more needs to be done by the powers that be to stop allowing people to do this with no concequence for their actions.

It's just the scourge of drugs in this country now has made it unrecognisable to say 20 years ago. I know there was drugs back then but miniscule in comparison to now, especially the hard drugs.
    I wouldn't want to raise a child around that kind of environment, it somehow normalises this behaviour as tolerable.
    There is a lot of good in the city ,& a lot of potential, but more needs to be done by the powers that be to stop allowing people to do this with no concequence for their actions.

Yeah I am not down here by choice, the rent is very cheap compared to the rest of the city. I am about to get a new job finally :pac: so I will be able to get out into the suburbs a bit and away from all this sh!te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I have been doing a bit of research 99 people were arrested for possession of drugs in Waterford personal use in the fourth quarter of 2016. Yet in the same time only 19 people were arrested for possession of drugs for sale and supply.

This seems rather disproportionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

I have been doing a bit of research 99 people were arrested for possession of drugs in Waterford personal use in the fourth quarter of 2016. Yet in the same time only 19 people were arrested for possession of drugs for sale and supply.

This seems rather disproportionate.

So they are hitting five users for every one supplier? How many customers do dealers normally have??

How hard can it be to catch someone supplying drugs, when the general public can see it openly in certain areas.
    Why can't plain clothes detectives just go & nab a few for supplying. I know it won't solve much but maybe just make certain areas of the city nicer to live in.
    At the very least it will remind these scumbags that what they are doing is illegal, and not everyone should have to look at that behaviour as if it's just the done thing.

jopax wrote:
    How hard can it be to catch someone supplying drugs, when the general public can see it openly in certain areas. Why can't plain clothes detectives just go & nab a few for supplying. I know it won't solve much but maybe just make certain areas of the city nicer to live in. At the very least it will remind these scumbags that what they are doing is illegal, and not everyone should have to look at that behaviour as if it's just the done thing.

If the law can't be bothered to take action,what hope is there,it just seems to be accepted that's the way it is now.

Yes when you put it like that it does make sense that there must be corruption in the guards as well.
    I suppose I'm more shocked that they are so brazen about it,. I would have thought that if you were on the take that a certain level of discretion is needed.
    The guards that refused to take the statement are obviously the guilty ones, so how does it go on without anyone reporting them.

AFAIK, if a garda refuses to take a statement, he's breaking the law and committed a criminal offence. How they are getting away with this, I don't know.

If the law can't be bothered to take action,what hope is there,it just seems to be accepted that's the way it is now.

And if the Gardaí are willing to treat a councillor (John Hearne) like that, who has some clout, back up and connections, what hope is there for the ordinary Joe Soap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

How can we be certain everything John has said in this Facebook post is the truth?

Wouldn't be the first time a politician has altered truth a little..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

How can we be certain everything John has said in this Facebook post is the truth?

Wouldn't be the first time a politician has altered truth a little..

Cant stand the man. Would trust 100 times more than a garda however. Wonder how many will be siphoned out to retirement as soon as the Bill Kenneally enquiry gets the go ahead?

Cant stand the man. Would trust 100 times more than a garda however. Wonder how many will be siphoned out to retirement as soon as the Bill Kenneally enquiry gets the go ahead?

I don't know John Hearne, so I can't speak about him personally. The only objective comment I could say is what possible benefit would John get out of making up these stories, it doesn't make any sense.
    As they say there is usually no smoke without fire, & in fairness to him, he has stood his ground against scumbags to protect innocent people, it does say a lot about his sense of justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Complex behavioral problems me hole. Being a scumbag isn't a complex issue. It's a life choice for the majority of them.

I'm sure there are a few genuine cases where mental health issues lead to drug abuse but the vast majority of scumbag junkies deserve no sympathy, and resources would be better spent elsewhere than trying to help them.

I know of 3 or 4 heroin junkies and the estate they currently live in would be a lot better off if they f*cked off and died of an OD.

They've terrorised good people for years, even before they became addicted.

research says otherwise

thank you

Advertisement