Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug gangs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

How can we be certain everything John has said in this Facebook post is the truth?

Wouldn't be the first time a politician has altered truth a little..

From what I know and experienced, I would believe Cllr Hearne.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    research says otherwise

thank you

Regardless of the reasons why, the drugs are still a major scourge on society.
    It's the dealers are the ones benefitting from other people's misery.
    The longer it goes on the more younger kids will end up going down the same route & it just keeps ruining the addicts life's, their families & society in general suffers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

research says otherwise

thank you

Researchers make up excuses for bad behaviour and poor life choices. Nothing new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

research says otherwise

thank you

Any links to any proper research? I'd love to read it.

My first-hand experience contradicts any research.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Any links to any proper research? I'd love to read it.

My first-hand experience contradicts any research.

i generally dont research by text based methods but ive spoken to many professionals that would have regular contact with criminals and in this case regular drug users etc. from my own life experiences, ive also realised that the root causes of these issues are indeed the issues i have outlined earlier. id imagine a quick trip to google schoolar would reveal some peer reviewed work though, ive been informed its there anyway :)

i guess you ll nearly always find contradictory findings and indeed research in life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

I get the whole "Legalise everything, set a product quality standard and collection all the lovely taxes" but this only removes the stock in trade, NOT the scumbag trader. Removing their source of income will not stop their thuggery, they will simply turn their attention to another revenue source.
    Whilst I agree somewhat to the 'total legalisation' the gang members also need dealing with, preferably a long stretch or deportation where appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bushmanpm wrote: »
    I get the whole "Legalise everything, set a product quality standard and collection all the lovely taxes" but this only removes the stock in trade, NOT the scumbag trader. Removing their source of income will not stop their thuggery, they will simply turn their attention to another revenue source.
    Whilst I agree somewhat to the 'total legalisation' the gang members also need dealing with, preferably a long stretch or deportation where appropriate.

i do agree with you on this one, but i think its still time to legalise everything, unfortunately we probably never will completely understand complex human behavioral problems and more importantly, what to do about them, i do feel legalising is more a pro active way of dealing with these issues rather than our current approach, i.e. reactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

A lot of these dealers that keep getting away with what they're doing is because they become Garda snitches. Why do you think the guards look out for certain people? They know if those people get put away then a lot of their leads are gone. Plus I'd be sure there's a few backhanders going around aswell

cococoady wrote: »
    A lot of these dealers that keep getting away with what they're doing is because they become Garda snitches. Why do you think the guards look out for certain people? They know if those people get put away then a lot of their leads are gone. Plus I'd be sure there's a few backhanders going around aswell

That's interesting, it's something I've never thought of. It's a whole different world with all sorts of deals being made.
    It really makes me look at the guards in a whole new light, I must be very naieve as I would have thought they would have to be of mainly good character with the odd bad apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Happens in all law enforcement across the globe. They have snitches who provide info and in turn are allowed continue their own business, generally the case officer will feel he/she has a measure of control over the informant and its a better the devil you know scenario. Course, it doesn't always work out like that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

Wanderer78 wrote:
    i do agree with you on this one, but i think its still time to legalise everything, unfortunately we probably never will completely understand complex human behavioral problems and more importantly, what to do about them, i do feel legalising is more a pro active way of dealing with these issues rather than our current approach, i.e. reactive.

Would certainly understand your point after reading all posts up to now,it's just like a vicious circle,maybe it's time for a new way of thinking surely it can't be worse than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Unfortunately when one mentions 'legalise' a lot of people freak out thinking a 'free for all', and not a properly regulated and licenced control of all substance sales.

Using alcohol as an example in this country points to not only proper regulation but also an awareness of price to the end user is necessary.
    There was a time, not so long ago (for some), when illegal spirits were extremely common and much much cheaper than the legal variety.

If other substances are to be legalised, and controlled, care will need to be taken that the end user price is not such as to encourage the availability of the 'illegal' kind.

I am of the opinion that legalisation is the way to go, but ONLY if it is properly planned and implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I just came across this ....... haven't read it all, but for anyone interested in drugs and their effects it should make interesting reading

https://www.globaldrugsurvey.com/wp-content/themes/globaldrugsurvey/results/GDS2017_key-findings-report_final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Just read the article,so it took a Nigerian drugs gang to scare off local thugs who were terrorising the neighborhood,which is the lesser evil?

I wonder is the murder investigation up in Wellington St from yesterday anything to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

cococoady wrote:
    I wonder is the murder investigation up in Wellington St from yesterday anything to do with this.

Was thinking the same myself,been a few incidents down around that area.

Time will tell, it's a funny world we are living in now. I hope all the details come out. I highly doubt it was a random attack, so the most obvious cause is money or drugs, which are one of the same these days.
    I hope they catch who done it, there is no respect for life anymore.

Advertisement