Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner Occupier - Renter With Boyfriend

Options
  • 20-05-2017 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how flexible people are to having a renter with a boy or girlfriend coming over on weekends etc... Potentially twice a month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

cronos wrote: »
    Just wondering how flexible people are to having a renter with a boy or girlfriend coming over on weekends etc... Potentially twice a month.

Are you renter or owner? Why don't you ask owner if you're the renter? If you're the owner and feel uncomfortable with it you probably shouldn't have them as a renter. Anyway renter has no rights in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Are you renter or owner? Why don't you ask owner if you're the renter? If you're the owner and feel uncomfortable with it you probably shouldn't have them as a renter. Anyway, the renter has no rights in this situation.

I'm the owner. Looking for prospective licensees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I've been a licensee in this situation. Both the owner and I acquired partners during the time I was renting. If my partner was going to stay I would notify the owner in advance, this usually meant planning things out. It was never more than twice in the week and never two nights consecutively. She did mostly the same, which was nice of her given that it was her house! We didn't have a formal "twice a month" agreement or anything but maybe that's because we were both fairly reasonable about the whole thing. I don't think I would have been offended if she had issued some ground rules though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

IMO I think you need to make it clear on the limits. Some people will stick to your rules, while other will try see how much they can break them ]

I know a lot of people won't agree with this. But your house, your rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

As flexible as you like OP, entirely up to you and what you are comfortable with.

A friend of mine has always rented out a room or two in her house. She has ended up great friends with some of the tenants, on the flip side, some were bedroom dwellers who she barely saw. Don't think she ever had a particularly bad experience. You own the house, so bear in mind you can ask them to leave for any reason you like - nice peace of mind.

If it were me I would be inclined to say 3 nights a month, and no more than one night in a row. Then when you get to know the tenant & their partner, if you get on well with them you can relax the rules. If they are very considerate you should barely realise their partner is even over.

Try find someone on a different work schedule to you. E.g if you work 9-5, and you rented to a shift worker, your time in the house would overlap a lot less. If you're in Dublin it would be easy enough to find someone who goes home at the weekends down the country. Gives both you and the tenant a lot more space.

Include fixed bills like wifi & bins in the rent, saves you constantly looking for money off them. Leave electricity and gas separate. People will be more wasteful if it's included in rent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement