Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Greenway

Options
  • 20-05-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

HI all,

am off work next week and thinking of doing the greenway, Looks complete on the maps and website but just wondering can anyone confirm.

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ive only cyclied the section from kilmacthomas to clonea and it is complete, but im hearing there are issues for a couple of kilometers just after the train station at kilmeaden with surfacing, its apparently a little rough but passable. this info may also be a little out of date, so it could all be fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cycled from carraiganore to kilmacthomas, it's grand. Could be a bit better in places, did it on a road bike with 23mm gatorskins no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

It's complete. From Waterford it's packed stone from about 5k before and after kilmeaden station... passable though. 25 or 28 tyres at lower pressures if you want to be comfortable. But you'll be fine on anything if you are able to handle a bike at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yep all complete I did Waterford -Dungarvan - Waterford a few weeks ago.

You're right to do it mid week I wouldn't be bothered on the bike at the weekend as to many bodies/dogs etc.

The Waterford side surface is great for first 5km presumably this was the section used by some councillors for the opening. After that it's a mixed bag till about 16km. Some patches of loose gravel.

I said it on a previous thread but they used a coarser stone on the Waterford side and as such it's a bit lumpier and the thoughts of falling on to it are a tad horrifying.

A great spin though and a nice coffee stop in either the train station or the bigger one further down.

If you don't have one on your bike pick up a cheap bell or rob one off the kids bike you will use it. A lot of people are out for a rambling stroll and as such aren't expecting bikes.

I did it on 23mm continental grandprix tyres slightly tougher than the 4000sii and no issues. Pinched a whole bundle of stones on the waterford side though so it could easily happen so bring spares.

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I did it a couple of weeks ago with the kids and we all loved it. We had lunch in a pub in Dungarvan. I asked the owner how business was since the Greenway opened, and she said that it had ramped up hugely. She had to open earlier, took on more staff, and was basically busy all day.
    This type of thing is a no-brainer. The Galway nay-sayers are mad to impede this type of initiative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Could anyone advise which is the best section to cycle with a young child? (A 1 yr old) Something flat and not too tough. We are thinking of doing a max of 20km.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

I did it a couple of weeks ago with the kids and we all loved it. We had lunch in a pub in Dungarvan. I asked the owner how business was since the Greenway opened, and she said that it had ramped up hugely. She had to open earlier, took on more staff, and was basically busy all day.
    This type of thing is a no-brainer. The Galway nay-sayers are mad to impede this type of initiative.

I'll just leave this here (it's about wexford greenway)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057000952/1

Some times people are their own worst enemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

baldbear wrote:
    Could anyone advise which is the best section to cycle with a young child? Something flat and not too tough. We are thinking of doing a max of 20km.

I personally would recommend kilmac to clonea/dungarvan, I think it's the best section for scenery to. There's small inclines here and there, but we done it with 4 kids ranging from 3 - 13 with no issues only tiredness after completion. There's rest areas along the way with a small play ground roughly half way on that section

NO!

Taken from the original thread posted. It's flutes like this I hope are eating humble pie one day.

How anyone can see a negative to a green way is beyond me. Those that do are presumably typical land grabbing farmers that have had their eye on or have already taken the land.

Now I think of it I do recall one such farmer with tractor trailer and jeep parked on the Waterford greenway when I was on it.

Was there ever any consideraton for a campsite along the route it strikes me as a nice route to head out for a leisurely spin with kids and perhaps an introduction to camping. Probably more suited to the Dungarvan side with beaches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

baldbear wrote: »
    Could anyone advise which is the best section to cycle with a young child? (A 1 yr old) Something flat and not too tough. We are thinking of doing a max of 20km.

Thanks.

Park at Shannacool (52.129115, -7.506241) and walk a few KM east and then back west (or vice versa) from here. Basic refreshments in O'Mahoneys pub and the Ballyvoile Tunnel and Viaducts to keep everyone interested.

More here http://www.visitwaterfordgreenway.com/

EDIT: whoops....I read walking , rather than cycling. No matter, same basic advice still applies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

If you're planning on cycling 20km Dungarvan to O'Mahoneys pub just after the Ballyvoile tunnel is a nice out-and-back. Perfectly smooth surface, takes in lots of the highlights in terms of interest and scenery and has refreshment/toilet facilities ar both ends.
    TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Park at Shannacool (52.129115, -7.506241) and walk a few KM east and then back west (or vice versa) from here. Basic refreshments in O'Mahoneys pub and the Ballyvoile Tunnel and Viaducts to keep everyone interested.

More here http://www.visitwaterfordgreenway.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

While I've no doubt the odd farmer or two can be extremely awkward and irrational the redevelopment of unused railway lines brings up real issue for farmers.

The land itself is pretty useless and the railway line had effectively split land parcels along its length. As farming practices have changed beyond recognition since the line closed issues have arisen
    *disease control with public/dogs passing through the middle of farms (council had tried to use gates for dairy herds crossing greeny rather than underpasses/bridges) Some food scheme with dairies/meat factories have strict requirements in terms of disease control and greenways present issues
    *with potential conflict between walkers/cyclist and dairy herds insurance cost/liability etc
    *farmers had upgraded their own bridges over the years to carry heavier machinery/milk tanks etc which caused issues.

Most farmers engaged with council and had everything sorted in a sensible manner. I don't think any of them wanted to be the cnut putting toddlers/pensioners out on a busy regional road while passing their farm. But like Westport and Tayto there is always one.

It has been a brilliant addition to Dungarvan in terms of visitors and locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭rob w

Was down there last week and did it from Dungarvan to Waterford and back on a road bike with 23mm tires, no problems at all but just a bit bumpy towards the Waterford side as said by others. Don't let that put you off though, well worth it.

I started at about 4pm, and it was great....very quiet, had massive stretches of it to myself! Could have done with a bell though, as came a cross a few people on bikes/walking in the same direction and they don't see/hear you coming - until you roll slowly up behind and startle them with an 'excuse me'!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

It is so relaxing on the Greenway.

Having no cars to deal with is so nice.

A bell is essential as many people do not stay on the left.

I wouldn't do it at the weekend.

Monday to Friday, you basically have it to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

I'm planning on commuting from Kilmac to Waterford on it every day. Riding on the roads really put me off commuting on the bike before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I took the N25 back from Cork to Shankill this afternoon, as I prefer it to the M7/8 route. A fair few cyclists out that way.

Seeing the signs for the greenway made me want to <sarcasm>run one of them down, steal their bike and </sarcasm> go for a spin. Alas, I was cargo hauling for my brother on his way home from college, so I couldn't join in.

It's good to see it so well advertised. I'll have to get the bike down that way at some point.

Gwildor wrote: »
    I'm planning on commuting from Kilmac to Waterford on it every day. Riding on the roads really put me off commuting on the bike before.

Probably on of the best commutes out there. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Probably on of the best commutes out there. Enjoy :)

Thanks! I work on the old Kilmeaden rd, so get off at WIT Sports centre and straight into work! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I rode the greenway from W.I.T. to Dungarvan and back to W.I.T yesterday. Really, really enjoyable; I would recommend it to everyone.

As others have said, the surface on the Waterford side is a bit rough, but I did it on 23mm Continental GP4000S II tyres with no issues at all. There is lovely tarmac in the Dungarvan side which is beautiful.

We started at about 10am so it was fairly quiet at that time. The weather wasn't great so that probably had an influence. It got busier as the day went on (and the weather improve). A bell is absolutely essential. A quick ring and anyone ahead of you will move to one side. And the same if you hear it if someone is behind you.

Overall it's a fantastic amenity and well worth riding. No cars (obviously) and some great scenery. I'd also say that the local shops and cafes in Dungarvan are delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i'm down that way at the start of July, staying near Dungarvan. will probably only get to bring down the hybrid to bring the young fella out in the trailer so might look at doing that dungarvan to o'mahoney's stretch too.

• Advertisement

i'm down that way at the start of July, staying near Dungarvan. will probably only get to bring down the hybrid to bring the young fella out in the trailer so might look at doing that dungarvan to o'mahoney's stretch too.

It's the nicest part of it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It's the nicest part of it to be honest.

thanks, good to know - it looks from the route map here that there are plenty of sights and scenic stretches at that end alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I rode the greenway from W.I.T. to Dungarvan and back to W.I.T yesterday. Really, really enjoyable; I would recommend it to everyone.

As others have said, the surface on the Waterford side is a bit rough, but I did it on 23mm Continental GP4000S II tyres with no issues at all. There is lovely tarmac in the Dungarvan side which is beautiful.

We started at about 10am so it was fairly quiet at that time. The weather wasn't great so that probably had an influence. It got busier as the day went on (and the weather improve). A bell is absolutely essential. A quick ring and anyone ahead of you will move to one side. And the same if you hear it if someone is behind you.

Overall it's a fantastic amenity and well worth riding. No cars (obviously) and some great scenery. I'd also say that the local shops and cafes in Dungarvan are delighted with it.
    How long is that overall? I'm assuming it must be pretty flat? What about headwinds on the way to Dungarvan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

How long is that overall? I'm assuming it must be pretty flat? What about headwinds on the way to Dungarvan?

I think it's 46km from Waterford to Dungarvan. Bear in mind that they've built numerous access car parks all along the route, so you could tailor your spin to whatever distance you're comfortable with. Kilmacthomas Workhouse is the middle point and has all the facilities you could need, including car park, toilets, café, and bike hire.

It's mostly flat, but there are a couple of long, slight inclines - nothing to be concerned about at all.

I cycled it on a calm day last October so can't speak for headwinds but it's quite a sheltered route with mature hedgerows on both sides for the majority of the route.

Strava tells me it 90.2km Waterford start to the large buoy in Dungarvan and back to Waterford.

Moflojo wrote: »
    It's mostly flat, but there are a couple of long, slight inclines - nothing to be concerned about at all.

I cycled it on a calm day last October so can't speak for headwinds but it's quite a sheltered route with mature hedgerows on both sides for the majority of the route.

Yeah I thought that myself it's more or less uphill from Dungarvan to kilmacthomas but more of a drag than a climb.

As for the sheltered trees... Yeah they don't exist I cycled it into an easterly and it sucked the life out of me. It didn't make for a pleasant return leg if I'm honest.

Most if not all the sights are between Kilmac and Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

For our trip it was around 84km. If we had done the section east of W.I.T. campus into Waterford city that would have brought it up towards 90km.

You do end up with a decent elevation gain at the end, but all the climbing is so gradual that you wouldn't notice it too much.

It was prevailing south-westerlies when we did it on Saturday so it was a headwind most of the way to Dungarvan. There are sections of shelter along the way and the surface is so good the closer you get to Dungarvan so that all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Did Dungarvan -> Waterford -> Dungarvan with a nice pub lunch in Waterford today. They even let us take the bikes inside as we had no locks and it was drizzling. The headwind on the way back was NOT welcome!

Some of the surfaces on the way into Waterford are really gravelly. I didn't mind too much on 32c tires, but my girlfriend struggled and wasn't really able for the 90km round trip. She didn't enjoy the trip back, so that's her out for anything north of 60km spins in pleasant weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is doing it Dungarvan to Waterford typically the best option to avoid a head wind? Thinking of heading down there midweek soon, providing I can find a bus from Dublin that will stow the bike.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is doing it Dungarvan to Waterford typically the best option to avoid a head wind? Thinking of heading down there midweek soon, providing I can find a bus from Dublin that will stow the bike.

Generally yes. The winds are predominantly from the south west however it can vary when I did it waterford-Dungarvan-Waterford there was no wind on the way out and a very strong easterly picked up when returning.

If you're getting a bus from Dublin you're better off wat-dun-wat either way you'll pick up the wind at some point unless it's a very calm day. You're probably better off getting the train down I'd imagine it would be easier.

Advertisement