Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

https://goo.gl/maps/ozrd4XTXU4KS2Gp38

That's the Lower car park.

There's a field, which is rented and had the silage cut two/three weeks ago just bedside the car park. Public toilets there with an outside tap.

There is a dirt road running at back of beach servicing a couple of beach properties, if arriving late you could chance that land to.

You will have early morning swimmers/dog walkers about.

Come off Greenway before tunnel and you might find a pitch around Ballyvole beach

https://goo.gl/maps/oNc6nCVwvBvnLwfb8

Don't go to Stradbally or you might end up like Larry Griffin and be never seen again

You could come off in Kilmac and check out this 1km of gravel road here for me
    https://goo.gl/maps/zNTh5atBF5ZKhjDz6

Thanks!

Thanks loads of good info there.

I had to google Larry Griffin and jaysus that's a mad story altogether if true. :eek:

I was looking at Ballyvole also and wondered could you access this beach https://www.google.ie/maps/place/52%C2%B006'16.6%22N+7%C2%B030'25.0%22W/@52.1046113,-7.5091257,486m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!1m6!3m5!1s0x48431f4eab68a259:0x750d563b5b8b6509!2sBallyvoyle+Cove!8m2!3d52.1064475!4d-7.5105393!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d52.1046081!4d-7.5069368

Early morning swimmers won't bother me I'll most likely be joining them it's more the boy racers I want to avoid so I'd be avoiding the likes of car parks etc. I'll most likely go to the lower car park you suggest and take a walk out along the Dunes to find a spot.

I'd love to chance the light house but I'd say I'd be chased out of their fairly sharpish. Is the house there privately owned or is it an airbnb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Thanks loads of good info there.

I had to google Larry Griffin and jaysus that's a mad story altogether if true. :eek:

I was looking at Ballyvole also and wondered could you access this beach https://www.google.ie/maps/place/52%C2%B006'16.6%22N+7%C2%B030'25.0%22W/@52.1046113,-7.5091257,486m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!1m6!3m5!1s0x48431f4eab68a259:0x750d563b5b8b6509!2sBallyvoyle+Cove!8m2!3d52.1064475!4d-7.5105393!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d52.1046081!4d-7.5069368

Early morning swimmers won't bother me I'll most likely be joining them it's more the boy racers I want to avoid so I'd be avoiding the likes of car parks etc. I'll most likely go to the lower car park you suggest and take a walk out along the Dunes to find a spot.

I'd love to chance the light house but I'd say I'd be chased out of their fairly sharpish. Is the house there privately owned or is it an airbnb?

The only way is to access that beach is up the private lane and head to the shore at hairpin; don't know owners so no idea how that would go!

The missing postman is true, drinking in the village where he worked on Xmas eve/day 1929 and just went missing.

I've swam a laot from Lower car park and never encountered any boy racers, you might have the odd courting couple I suppose. You'll get horse racing at low tide, but given your late arrival and early start they'll be out "working" at that those hours

No idea on status of lighthouse

Nice route from Clonea to Kilmac for you, using some of the "real" coast road

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33205847

The only way is to access that beach is up the private lane and head to the shore at hairpin; don't know owners so no idea how that would go!

The missing postman is true, drinking in the village where he worked on Xmas eve/day 1929 and just went missing.

I've swam a laot from Lower car park and never encountered any boy racers, you might have the odd courting couple I suppose. You'll get horse racing at low tide, but given your late arrival and early start they'll be out "working" at that those hours

No idea on status of lighthouse

Nice route from Clonea to Kilmac for you, using some of the "real" coast road

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33205847

Yeah I was thinking that might be the case alright and don't want to be causing any bother I'm sure they get their fair share of trespassers as it is, it looks like a nice cove.

I plan to travel mid week so as to avoid the majority of the crowd so should be good at Clonea

I'll definitely take the route you posted on the return leg cheers. I'll probably head into Dungarvan to get some dinner and head back the way from there.

I also just came across Bridgie Terries Bar, it looks like a great spot I love those small village pubs. That could be another way point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Stradbally Beach looks like a lovely place to wild camp, grass verge back form beach or even in the woods - one of the few places I have seen red squirrels regularly.

For the OP Kilmacthomas to Dungarven is a lovely spin for a family and if there happy on their own for a while Dungarven is a better place to be stuck than Kilmacthomas although if they finish at the Coach house in Kilmacthomas and order hot food it should have just arrived by the time you have returned with the car,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Sounds like an interesting trip. Once you have it done, post your route up here, plus any info on where you camped etc

• Advertisement

El Vino wrote: »
    Stradbally Beach looks like a lovely place to wild camp, grass verge back form beach or even in the woods - one of the few places I have seen red squirrels regularly.

Not if you're a postman though apparently :( It does look nice though.

cletus wrote: »
    Sounds like an interesting trip. Once you have it done, post your route up here, plus any info on where you camped etc

Will do just need to get the time work is mental at the moment so it'll probably be first week in August at the earliest. It'll be great when they get the greenway complete from NewRoss to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Don't go to Stradbally or you might end up like Larry Griffin and be never seen again!....
    I had to Google it also. Hadn't heard the story before and very interesting. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I had to Google it also. Hadn't heard the story before and very interesting. Thanks.

It's unparalleled for its secrecy.

A man was drinking in the village he worked among people he knew very well. Included was Gardai and school teacher.

His bicycle was found a few miles outside village following morning. Nothing else was ever found.

For a non premeditated killing no one talking is incredible

No one spoke ever, except a farm labourer who was thereafter shunned.

My father was 3 when it happened. Anytime I was heading to Stradbally for matches in the 80's as a child he'd ask to to have a look out for the postman.

When the author of book visited pub where he was last seen in or about 2006, she was advised to "fcuk off out of Stradbally".

Claiming for defamation by the various accused who were put on trial became a cottage industry from the 1930s on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Nice day for it if you’re heading today...

• Advertisement

Gwildor wrote: »
    Nice day for it if you’re heading today...

nice recumbent, I see they have km markers are they the whole way along. It's been years since I've been on the Greenway I think I was one of the first along the whole route once officially opened. I believe there are a lot of sections you're requested to walk you bike now.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Yeah, the markers are the whole way now. There are signs that ask you to dismount when going through the underpasses and the Ballyvoile tunnel, but no one does. It’s fine as long as you don’t go flat out through them. Im on the Greenway pretty much every day as it’s most of my commute to work.

Gwildor wrote: »
    Im on the Greenway pretty much every day as it’s most of my commute to work.

Aren't you a lucky one VIP commute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Has anybody done this recently?
    We're thinking of doing it with the kids, but the shuttle busses don't seem to be running and we don't want to just do half of it.
    The plan is to rent 4 bikes as early as we can, do the 46kms over the whole day and get the public bus back.
    Is the 46km a bit much for the kids, even at a slow pace? The 7yo is fit as a fiddle, but small and the 10yo is well able when he needs to be but would probably rather sit in a tag along trailer with his tablet.

The other option is just put my bike on the car and do a return trip on my own and enjoy the peace and quiet, not sure I'll be allowed do that tho😂

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

.red. wrote:
    Has anybody done this recently? We're thinking of doing it with the kids, but the shuttle busses don't seem to be running and we don't want to just do half of it. The plan is to rent 4 bikes as early as we can, do the 46kms over the whole day and get the public bus back. Is the 46km a bit much for the kids, even at a slow pace? The 7yo is fit as a fiddle, but small and the 10yo is well able when he needs to be but would probably rather sit in a tag along trailer with his tablet.

Have you done that length of journey with the kids before? The greenway is relatively flat, but there are small climbs here and there, I personally think the best section is between kilmacthomas and dungarvan, but the whole greenway is fantastic

.red. wrote: »
    Has anybody done this recently?
    We're thinking of doing it with the kids, but the shuttle busses don't seem to be running and we don't want to just do half of it.
    The plan is to rent 4 bikes as early as we can, do the 46kms over the whole day and get the public bus back.
    Is the 46km a bit much for the kids, even at a slow pace? The 7yo is fit as a fiddle, but small and the 10yo is well able when he needs to be but would probably rather sit in a tag along trailer with his tablet.

The other option is just put my bike on the car and do a return trip on my own and enjoy the peace and quiet, not sure I'll be allowed do that tho��

You'd know your kids better than anyone but I'd have thought 46km is a bit far for a 7year old unless they're used to cycling a few hours at a time.

If you get a windy day usually comes from Dungarvan side it could be tough going. The nicest section is Kilmac to Dungarvan. The Waterford side is a bit boring.

All in all a nice cycle though especially if you get the weather.

They haven't done that length of a cycle but have done 14/15km on a road with them a few times and that's got a few nasty hills, both of them on a BMX. Both were well able for it and could have gone a nice bit further.
    I was thinking with all the stops, if they can manage roughly 8-10km at a time, on a better bikes with a few gears and at a pace to suit themselves then we should be fine. I'd be keeping an eye on the wind too and picking whichever route suited better.
    How flat is the actual route?

They haven't done that length of a cycle but have done 14/15km on a road with them a few times and that's got a few nasty hills, both of them on a BMX. Both were well able for it and could have gone a nice bit further.
    I was thinking with all the stops, if they can manage roughly 8-10km at a time, on a better bikes with a few gears and at a pace to suit themselves then we should be fine. I'd be keeping an eye on the wind too and picking whichever route suited better.
    How flat is the actual route?

Compared to a typical spin you'd call it flat but there are a few little ramps more so coming out of Dungarvan.

I'd say you'll have two tired kids by the end of the day. :D I'd still think maybe a bridge to far but you'll get a good idea as you go and worst case scenario turn back. It's more the pain they'll have in their butts I assume the won't have cyling shorts. You could always pack apiece of parachord or similar should the seven year old burn out you could tow them they should manage to steer alright. :)

Compared to a typical spin you'd call it flat but there are a few little ramps more so coming out of Dungarvan.

I'd say you'll have two tired kids by the end of the day. :D I'd still think maybe a bridge to far but you'll get a good idea as you go and worst case scenario turn back. It's more the pain they'll have in their butts I assume the won't have cyling shorts. You could always pack apiece of parachord or similar should the seven year old burn out you could tow them they should manage to steer alright. :)

We won't be turning back once we hit the halfway mark anyway. They'll have 8 hours to do it, at their pace and finish it they will, even if I have to tow them with a parachord(or use it to whip them lol).
    I'd actually be more worried about the 10yo burning out quicker, the 7yo is like a Duracell bunny.
    There's hardly anyone doing kids electric bikes is there?
    I've seen cheap cycle shorts in sports direct, can't imagine them being brilliant but might be worth buying as something is better than nothing for them.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

We won't be turning back once we hit the halfway mark anyway. They'll have 8 hours to do it, at their pace and finish it they will, even if I have to tow them with a parachord(or use it to whip them lol).
    I'd actually be more worried about the 10yo burning out quicker, the 7yo is like a Duracell bunny.
    There's hardly anyone doing kids electric bikes is there?
    I've seen cheap cycle shorts in sports direct, can't imagine them being brilliant but might be worth buying as something is better than nothing for them.
    Thanks.

Would you believe Commencal are doing e balance bikes :D

Sounds like there'll be no prisoners taken but I'm sure ye will be fine. A nice few coffee shops enroute aswell.

Enjoy

Would you believe Commencal are doing e balance bikes :D

Sounds like there'll be no prisoners taken but I'm sure ye will be fine. A nice few coffee shops enroute aswell.

Enjoy

I'm not that bad TBF, we'll probably look at doing half of it and see how it goes. The full route might just be that little bit too much.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I did Kilmacthomas to Dungarvan & back today, and my app said the ascent was 197m overall, so be prepared to tow/push the kids.

Type 17 wrote: »
    I did Kilmacthomas to Dungarvan & back today, and my app said the ascent was 197m overall, so be prepared to tow/push the kids.

Yeah that's probably all within 1km or Dungarvan it seems to ramp up onto a plateau.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Yeah that's probably all within 1km or Dungarvan it seems to ramp up onto a plateau.

Not as plateau-ish as it might seem - here's the run (elevation is a mirror-image - Kilmac -> Dungarvan -> Kilmac)

https://cyclemeter.com/292978294d1632bf/Cycle-20200730-1011-62911

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Heavy going for kids if they are not used it especially in warm weather with no breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I did this with my 13 and 10 year old 2 weeks ago.

We did the interesting dungarven to kilmicheal and back to dungarven route after reading threads on here. Other half is a lot of fields with fewer interesting bits.

There are two long ascents on the way out where I gave the youngest a push to pre-empt him getting knackered.

He was v. tired by the end but had blast, slept all the way home. Moving time was 3 hours 20 mins, both mine cycle regularly - hire bikes have gears so will need 15 mins to get used to them if they have bmxs. The shop we hired everyone else's bikes from when I asked about an ebike, did ask me "adult or child" so maybe they do kids. It's the shop next to the cafe v near the harbour.

Only problem with the bus at the mo is frequency late doors if something goes wrong and passenger numbers.

IMG_20200724_152825413.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Love that photo. I'm going to Dungarvan in 2 weeks time and I'm going to do Dungarvan to Kilmac and back. Just have to break the news to the OH who still hasn't forgiven me for dragging him to a wet and windy Mayo to do Westport to Achill. He still refers to it as the cycle from hell. Here's hoping conditions are better down South

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

Hi.
    I'm going to be in Waterford for a few days late September / early October and I'm looking at doing the greenway. I haven't been on the bike at all this year, due to a knee injury, but I understand it's a pretty easy spin. I'd probably be doing Waterford - Kilmacthomas and back one day and taking the car to KMT and cycling from there to Dungarvan and back another day. Couple of questions.
    Where's the best place to get on the greenway in Waterford city? I'll be staying in the city so I can leave the car at the hotel or take it to car park.

Any recommendations on places to stop en route for refreshments? Any other nice routes for a cycle starting from the city?

Thanks.

Mossie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Threads merged. Please do a search if you think it's been asked before

Advertisement