Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Greenway

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

mossie wrote: »
    Hi.
    I'm going to be in Waterford for a few days late September / early October and I'm looking at doing the greenway. I haven't been on the bike at all this year, due to a knee injury, but I understand it's a pretty easy spin. I'd probably be doing Waterford - Kilmacthomas and back one day and taking the car to KMT and cycling from there to Dungarvan and back another day. Couple of questions.
    Where's the best place to get on the greenway in Waterford city? I'll be staying in the city so I can leave the car atquay the hotel or take it to car park.

Any recommendations on places to stop en route for refreshments? Any other nice routes for a cycle starting from the city?

Thanks.up the

Mossie

From The Clocktower carpark head up the quay towards the bridge and keep going...dont cross the bridge. It's about a mile to the start of the greenway. I'm heading there tomorrow with the OH, the forecast is looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I cycled a short stretch last Saturday, kids in tow. I couldn't believe the number of people that were around at times!

It's a real pity the pub / shop just beyond the Ballyvoyle tunnel has closed due to Covid. I stopped there a couple of years ago and it was incredibly busy with cyclists, not a soul there this time :(

My 4yo absolutely loved cycling through the tunnel though, a highlight of our trip down south for him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I cycled a short stretch last Saturday, kids in tow. I couldn't believe the number of people that were around at times!

It's a real pity the pub / shop just beyond the Ballyvoyle tunnel has closed due to Covid. I stopped there a couple of years ago and it was incredibly busy with cyclists, not a soul there this time :(

My 4yo absolutely loved cycling through the tunnel though, a highlight of our trip down south for him :D

And then the fairy doors! My kids loved it. Great trip for them even though the weather was poor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I cycled through the tunnel whistling "The Great Escape" - my kids were unimpressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

The Geopark in the Copper Coast has marked out a nice route from Durrow around Stradbally as well for anyone interested in an extra little loop.
    They've also installed a few bike racks in Stradbally village for coffee/ice cream stops.

The map is on a signboard at the carpark in Durrow as well and can be downloaded with a QR code - it's next to an audio information post that has some info about the tunnel and the mines etc..

https://coppercoastgeopark.com/cycle-maps-routes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

loyatemu wrote: »
    I cycled through the tunnel whistling "The Great Escape" - my kids were unimpressed.

I spent the final two week's notice in a previous job walking around, smiling and whistling ''The Great escape'' - my so-called superiors were not impressed.

Back on topic.

Apologies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

I did half today, Kilmacthomas to Dungarvan. Really lovely spin but got tangled in the railing at the narrow part going in to DV and banged my knee. Return was tough going 😡

Advertisement