Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Greenway

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's officially two bikes. But if you're creative you can fit 4-5 bikes on, you need to have every other one facing a different way.

Only carriage D has a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

doing the stretch from kilmacthomas to dungarvan tomorrow - i was gonna do the whole lot but apparently the best direction is from waterford to dungarvan but as i live in cork that would be a long day for me - so the lady i spoke to said that the nicest part if kilmacthomas to dungarvan so gonna just do that - might cycle both ways if i am feeling up to it (not a cyclist at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    There's usually only 2 carriages that carry 2 bikes each. You book a bike on when you book your seat. Loads of people ignore this and just put their bikes in the rack anyway so don't be surprised if there's no room for your bike which you may have to leave between carriages.

The fact you're getting on at a start point works in your favour as you can get to the front and grab a rack.

It's even more complicated on some services as there may be only 1 carriage that takes bikes. Even if you book one of the spaces you may arrive to find bikes in situ already. This can happen because someone walks on with a bike without booking or because someone with a semi-flexible or flexible ticket changes from their booked service to another one. When you board there is no way to match yourseat booking to your bike booking since there is no bike ticket as such and no charge for it. Bike situation on IE is a mess, any new carriages def need bike-carrying facilities or all these new Greenways can only be accessed with bike hire;, pricey for a famiy or awkward if you need your own customised bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I went down at the weekend and we were not allowed put our bikes on the return train. We had booked for the earlier train (flexible ticket though) but missed it and waited for the next train, which was the last one, there were two bikes already booked on to that one, but as above it's never an issue. I said what had happened to the Station Master and he threw a wobbler at me in the public area, called me a liar, swore at me and saying 'I don't know what they're doing in Dublin but no more than two bikes on the train'. I never raised my voice, never swore, never even got smart - which is unlike me.

Luckily I managed to get the bikes collected - pure fluke, my buddy has a place in Tramore and was in the City in his car. When I went to get on the train the Station Master ran ahead of me waving the green flag and tried to stop me boarding, I really don't get it. The Security Guard on the train had seen the whole thing and saw fit to come find me just to tell me he was mortified by what had happened and put it down to the fact 'he was like a Demon after the Waterford - Tipp game'.

I won't be taking the train to the Greenway again, which means it's unlikely I'll be doing it again before the year is out. Shame, because it was a beautiful day up to that point. I get it, health and safety stipulates only 2 bikes.

Also I did suggest breaking them down and he said no to that because people will have nowhere to put their luggage then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I went down at the weekend and we were not allowed put our bikes on the return train. We had booked for the earlier train (flexible ticket though) but missed it and waited for the next train, which was the last one, there were two bikes already booked on to that one, but as above it's never an issue. I said what had happened to the Station Master and he threw a wobbler at me in the public area, called me a liar, swore at me and saying 'I don't know what they're doing in Dublin but no more than two bikes on the train'. I never raised my voice, never swore, never even got smart - which is unlike me.

Luckily I managed to get the bikes collected - pure fluke, my buddy has a place in Tramore and was in the City in his car. When I went to get on the train the Station Master ran ahead of me waving the green flag and tried to stop me boarding, I really don't get it. The Security Guard on the train had seen the whole thing and saw fit to come find me just to tell me he was mortified by what had happened and put it down to the fact 'he was like a Demon after the Waterford - Tipp game'.

I won't be taking the train to the Greenway again, which means it's unlikely I'll be doing it again before the year is out. Shame, because it was a beautiful day up to that point. I get it, health and safety stipulates only 2 bikes.

Also I did suggest breaking them down and he said no to that because people will have nowhere to put their luggage then either.

That should be reported ASAP. Despicable behaviour and just as well it was witnessed by a staff member.

• Advertisement

Trekker09 wrote: »
    That should be reported ASAP. Despicable behaviour and just as well it was witnessed by a staff member.

I'm not sure I could be bothered and by the letter of the law there are only 2 spaces plus the last thing that station needs is a master who has a thing against cyclists

I did the greenway today from Kilmacthomas to Dungarvan and back..

Twas really lovely,,

Rented hike from Waterford greenway bike hire - bike was great and staff were lovely..

Weather was dry - not much sun and totally hazy - I couldn't see the mountains at all unfortunately...

Absolutely loved the exit of the tunnel and the enchanted like woodland area that you go through with all the fairy houses.. that was soo cool... (can't believe that this is not mentioned on the main website under sections - they were a real treat)

Q though - I didn't notice the viaducts?? Is that cos I was cycling on them? Or are they between Kilmac and waterford? (though afaik, there is one between kilmac and dungarvan)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You should have done this they're essentially luggage once the wheels are removed. Fair enough if you don't want to report anyone but you should send a mail to highlight the issue with only 2 bikes/train which serves such a tourist attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

sporina wrote: »

Q though - I didn't notice the viaducts?? Is that cos I was cycling on them? Or are they between Kilmac and waterford? (though afaik, there is one between kilmac and dungarvan)

Yup. You crossed over two viaducts on the way from Dungarvan to Kilmac, one either side of the tunnel

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Yup. You crossed over two viaducts on the way from Dungarvan to Kilmac, one either side of the tunnel

gee I didn't notice them - how was that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ehm, what a moron. It then becomes luggage!

I conversely had a great train driver in Kildare town last week. I cycled down for a friends 30th, but had a train booked as I knew i'd be badly hungover. The driver saw me waiting on the platform well in advance and told me to get on the train whenever I wanted and where the bike went etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Because you were cycling over/on top of them!!

If you cycle into Kilmacthomas itself you'll see the viaduct that you cycle over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Ah sure, they're small enough - you might easily miss them.....

image.jpg

greenway_slideshow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Kilmacthomas%20Viaduct%20Greenway.jpg

here ya go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Easy enough mistake to make for a newb to that particular Greenway. :D It's a lovely greenway to be fair though.

to the above 2 smarty pant's - i didn't see them as i was cycling over them..

does one go thru kilmac when cycling from coach house to waterford? i'll be doing that stretch soon

does one go thru kilmac when cycling from coach house to waterford? i'll be doing that stretch soon

I was there Sunday too, they'd actually taken the viaducts in out of the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

No... from the Coach House to Waterford = No viaducts.. but if you want to see one, go the opposite direction for less than a km and you are on the big stone one over Kilmacthomas.

I was there Sunday too, they'd actually taken the viaducts in out of the sun

i did it on Tue Smarty pants :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Folks plan on doing the Waterford to dungarvan route. How long would it take to cycle?
    What distance is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s 46km both directions !! I think Dungarvan is the best end to start at.

ted1 wrote: »

i think that the best direction to cycle it is from waterford towards dungarvan as you are looking into the sea and cliffs towards dungarvan..

you have your back to most of it in the opposite direction

unless you are doing it both ways - then it doesn't really matter - depends where your coming from, whether you have your own bike or not etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm not sure I could be bothered and by the letter of the law there are only 2 spaces plus the last thing that station needs is a master who has a thing against cyclists

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he's got a thing against EVERYONE.
    A well-known b*llocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ted1 wrote: »

i think that the best direction to cycle it is from waterford towards dungarvan as you are looking into the sea and cliffs towards dungarvan..

unless you are doing it both ways - then it doesn't really matter - depends where your coming from, whether you have your own bike or not etc
    I did a 60km loop from Waterford, so turned around at the 30km mark, and missed the coast views , tunnel and second viaduct which are all relative close to the Dungaran side. That’s why I said start at that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

Check wind direction beforehand. It is much easier to have the breeze in your back on the way home.
    Prevailing wind is south westerly....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

We did it a couple of weeks ago with our two kids. Was really really savage I must say. A fantastic amenity. We parked in Dungarvan, cycled to Waterford, stayed overnight, and did the return trip the following day. Cracking weekend.
    We were lucky with the weather for the bank holiday, but accomodation was readily available and cheap in Waterford. The other way around would have been much costlier, particularly wrt to accomodation anyway. Dungarvan was booked out.

fat bloke wrote: »
    We did it a couple of weeks ago with our two kids. Was really really savage I must say. A fantastic amenity. We parked in Dungarvan, cycled to Waterford, stayed overnight, and did the return trip the following day. Cracking weekend.
    We were lucky with the weather for the bank holiday, but accomodation was readily available and cheap in Waterford. The other way around would have been much costlier, particularly wrt to accomodation anyway. Dungarvan was booked out.

which direction did ye prefer, view wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

which direction dud ye prefer, view wise?

If you're not to pushed on doing the entire thing I'd say the best bits are from Dungarvan to Kilmacthomas and back. The Waterford side is pretty boring but still a nice cycle.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If you're not to pushed on doing the entire thing I'd say the best bits are from Dungarvan to Kilmacthomas and back. The Waterford side is pretty boring but still a nice cycle.

i have done that

i am just wondering what they thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

which direction did ye prefer, view wise?

The more spectacular stuff is at the Dungarvan end for sure, if you were picking a half.
    I'm terms of direction of travel we were way quicker coming back from a Waterford in the second day than going to Waterford on the first day.
    The rule for the day was for the kids to enjoy it so we stopped loads and didn't pressure them at all. But it took about 4 & a half hours to go Dungarvan Waterford, whereas the following day was only 2 & a half hours back. We definitely had a bit of a tailwind, but in terms of elevation his imagine they're exactly the same, given you start and finish at sea level.

I dunno, anyway you can't go wrong. The whole thing is just an absolute Homer Simpson 9 thumbs up

Advertisement