Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

fat bloke wrote: »
    The more spectacular stuff is at the Dungarvan end for sure, if you were picking a half.
    I'm terms of direction of travel we were way quicker coming back from a Waterford in the second day than going to Waterford on the first day.
    The rule for the day was for the kids to enjoy it so we stopped loads and didn't pressure them at all. But it took about 4 & a half hours to go Dungarvan Waterford, whereas the following day was only 2 & a half hours back. We definitely had a bit of a tailwind, but in terms of elevation his imagine they're exactly the same, given you start and finish at sea level.

I dunno, anyway you can't go wrong. The whole thing is just an absolute Homer Simpson 9 thumbs up

i think that there is definitely more of an incline on the dungarvan - waterford direction.. so my quads told me..
    i know they both start at sea level - but there are slight differences on the gradient in both directions..

in any event, glad you enjoyed eh? bet the kids loved the fairy adornments? the kid in me sure did..

The only qualm o have about the greenway is the lack of facilities when you get to dungarvan - there are no public toilets - only 1 picnic bench outside eurospar.. I mailed waterford council about it and they replied saying that "there are plans"..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭homer911

For someone doing Dungarvan > Waterford before grabbing a train, is there anywhere someone could get a shower in Waterford without booking a night in a hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi all,

Our OldVelos Expo and Vintage Cycle will take place on and off the Greenway on 25/26 August, headquarted at Coach House Coffee in Kilmacthomas. Something for your diaries!

42318126654_7c54ae7f96_z.jpgOldvelos_Poster_2018_ by Didawah, on Flickr

Brendan, www.oldvelos.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Just wanted to give a quick word of warning about a place renting bikes in Waterford on Grattan Quay across the river from the train station in Waterford. The staff there are useless and don't know much the guy working was a forgein exchange student who's English wasn't great and he didn't seem to know about the area or the bikes.

The bikes were awful and we barely made it to Kilmacthomas we though they were based in the Coach House but it turns that was a different company running the service in the Coach house and they were located on the Main Street where the guy was a young lad working who didn't seem to know as I wanted to complain but no one of more experience was there to complain to and I felt sorry for him.

Also there was no shuttle going back to Waterford in time for our train so we had to fork out for a taxi. If you are renting go to the place on Hanover Street I believe as I know someone who had done it before and rented there and their experience was far better.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Just wanted to give a quick word of warning about a place renting bikes in Waterford on Grattan Quay across the river from the train station in Waterford. The staff there are useless and don't know much the guy working was a forgein exchange student who's English wasn't great and he didn't seem to know about the area or the bikes.

The bikes were awful and we barely made it to Kilmacthomas we though they were based in the Coach House but it turns that was a different company running the service in the Coach house and they were located on the Main Street where the guy was a young lad working who didn't seem to know as I wanted to complain but no one of more experience was there to complain to and I felt sorry for him.

Also there was no shuttle going back to Waterford in time for our train so we had to fork out for a taxi. If you are renting go to the place on Hanover Street I believe as I know someone who had done it before and rented there and their experience was far better.

can you give us the names of the companies you are talking about?
    i rent my bike from waterford greenway bike hire - near eurospar in dungarvan and they also operate at the coach house = they and the bikes were fab

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

sporina wrote: »
    can you give us the names of the companies you are talking about?
    i rent my bike from waterford greenway bike hire - near eurospar in dungarvan and they also operate at the coach house = they and the bikes were fab

Yes that's the good place in Waterford where the person I was with had the good previous experience. The place is called Greenway Bike Hire I think. They all have similar names so it's a bit misleading as some places have better bikes than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Agree 100%, rented bikes from this place last weekend and they were absolutely awful. Bikes are not maintained at all by the looks of it, chain guard hanging off, poor brakes, wouldnt go into every gear etc

Yes that's the good place in Waterford where the person I was with had the good previous experience. The place is called Greenway Bike Hire I think. They all have similar names so it's a bit misleading as some places have better bikes than others.

yeah its difficult - the names of the companies are so similar - glad i choose waterford greenway bike hire though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Anyone done this? Cycling Waterford -> Dungarvan next week, any tips? Nice places to stop for sight-seeing, eating, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

buffalo wrote: »
    Anyone done this? Cycling Waterford -> Dungarvan next week, any tips? Nice places to stop for sight-seeing, eating, etc.?

There are two or three threads on this topic which are extremely helpful and I am sure will answer your questions and more. See this link for example....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103571402

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Have done section from Kilmac to Dungarvan. Parked at the old train station in Kilmac, which has coffee shop and good facilities. Few nice restaurants in Dungarvan, down on the quay in particular.
    Thread here
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057743205/1/#post103571402

Edit - Maidhci has a faster trigger finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Did it yesterday. It's a great facility. Several opportunities for eating along the way and plenty more in Dungarvan. It's more scenic towards the Dungarvan end. Very congested in places yesterday - if doing it again, I'd probably do it on a week day when schools are open.

(Although it's paved all the way, the surface seems to have a high rolling resistance - requires more energy than a similar distance on ordinary roads).

https://www.strava.com/activities/1733618235

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Is it a family trip?

If not and you like lumpy quite scenic roads I'll map something which gets best of greenway while getting best of that section of county

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Threads Merged

Only done a bit of it myself. Vowed to go back.

Waterford shall be busy next week with 2 festivals on.

Downeys for a Pint in Dungarvan, or Maisies if you're into Gin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Did your GPS go a bit wonky near the end?

You started (in Waterford city) at ~100 m above sea level, and then finished (back at the start) at ~100 m below sea level :D

Did your GPS go a bit wonky near the end?

You started (in Waterford city) at ~100 m above sea level, and then finished (back at the start) at ~100 m below sea level :D
    I see what you mean - didn't notice that. I've hit the 'correct elevation' button so we'll see what happens. Thanks.

I see what you mean - didn't notice that. I've hit the 'correct elevation' button so we'll see what happens. Thanks.
    Now it's after increasing the overall elevation but the start and finish look more equal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Little bit of confusion here with the fact that one of the main bike hire companies is 'Waterford greenway bike hire' and the other is 'waterford greenway bike hire and cycle tours'.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Threads Merged

Only done a bit of it myself. Vowed to go back.

Waterford shall be busy next week with 2 festivals on.

Downeys for a Pint in Dungarvan, or Maisies if you're into Gin.

I was told Morrissey's in Kilmacthomas does the best pint of Guinness in the south-east.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Is it a family trip?

If not and you like lumpy quite scenic roads I'll map something which gets best of greenway while getting best of that section of county

Cheers, 'twas a family trip on rented bikes. I do have some time off I have to take later in the year solo, so I'm thinking it'd be nice to go back that direction. Waterford is not somewhere I've ever spent a lot of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

I was told Morrissey's in Kilmacthomas does the best pint of Guinness in the south-east.

Nah, that's Haughtons down near Carrolls Cross, however it's only open a few nights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Was a little surprised at the elevation gain according to strava - return trip from dungarvan to kilmacthomas (well, to the coach house which is about 1km past) was 530m in a 48km trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Was a little surprised at the elevation gain according to strava - return trip from dungarvan to kilmacthomas (well, to the coach house which is about 1km past) was 530m in a 48km trip.

It's pretty flat the only bit of climbing is out of Dungarvan.

It does undulate quite a bit along the the 24km, albeit gently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Strava has a habit of overestimating elevation depending on the device used.

one thing that's a little odd in dungarvan itself, is that in a town which is undoubtedly reaping the benefits of cyclists, there's shag all cycle parking in the main square. it's essentially just one big car park. there's parking for nearly 100 cars (rough guess), and a grand total of 16 sheffield stands. which take up the same space as two or three car parking spaces.

where are the public parking (free) areas in Dungarvan if one wants to do the greenway?

for the car? there are multiple car parks along the greenway itself if you don't want to specifically start from dungarvan, but there seem to be ample parking opportunities around the town.

for the car? there are multiple car parks along the greenway itself if you don't want to specifically start from dungarvan, but there seem to be ample parking opportunities around the town.

yes for car - where in Dungarvan specifically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

If you circle the park in dungarven you will pass a free car park, there’s a small bridge at the bottom of the town, go over it and car park on your right, sorry can’t be much more accurate than that.., height barriers tho so you’ll have to remove bikes from the roof before u go in. I did but forgot on the way out... had to take em back off again :mad:!

Advertisement