Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

martyc5674 wrote: »
    If you circle the park in dungarven you will pass a free car park, there’s a small bridge at the bottom of the town, go over it and car park on your right, sorry can’t be much more accurate than that.., height barriers tho so you’ll have to remove bikes from the roof before u go in. I did but forgot on the way out... had to take em back off again :mad:!

not so familiar with the town so don't know where you are talking about and don't have a bike - would be renting one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you asked for specific directions and when given them, you say you don't know the town!
    there's loads of free parking there. just drive in and find a free space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

sporina wrote: »
    not so familiar with the town so don't know where you are talking about and don't have a bike - would be renting one

I don’t know the town really either hence the non specific directions. It’s a small town though and you’ll find the park or small bridge I mentioned real easy.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Park somewhere along here https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.0915082,-7.6152983,3a,60y,302.92h,73.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syOL3xPUYGCxWOqMBKd-Cmg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

If you want something a bit more secure park in The park Hotel. There's also a specific car park along the route outside of Dungarvan https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.0999803,-7.5647499,3a,60y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sABfV9sazFBjtsKDjoj6OXQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en It's not on maps but it is there.

there's an abundance of parking on the road into Dungarvan as others have said it's fairly straight forward find a spot park up and cycle to the trail you wont be anymore than 2 mins away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

sporina wrote: »

When on the main N25 ring road, at the roundabout for the Park hotel on your right, public free car park on your left - this is also the start (or end) of the Greenway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

niallo32 wrote: »
    When on the main N25 ring road, at the roundabout for the Park hotel on your right, public free car park on your left - this is also the start (or end) of the Greenway

Yeah this is where I’m on about... it’s directly opposite glanbia countrylife garden centre... big sign free car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

A welcome to all Boardsies and Waterford Greenway users,

This Saturday and Sunday sees the OldVelos Vintage Classic taking place on the Waterford Greenway. The free expo and Concours d'Elegance will be held at Coach House Coffee in Kilmacthomas from 12-8pm tomorrow and will be open all day on Sunday too. Sunday also sees our 25/50/70mile cycles (you can still register on the day) around the Comeragh's and Curraghmore Estate.

Amongst the bikes on display will be Fausto Coppi's track bike from his 1959 visit to Ireland and well as other classic and beautiful steel vintage handbuilt bikes, tandems and trikes. See www.oldvelos.com

40210041520_82d25276d9_z.jpgOV_poster_18_v3 by Didawah, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Apologies if it's been answered already - is it doable on a road bike (tyres are 25s)?
    Also, is the Clonmel to Carrick-on-Suir river path doable on a road bike?

A loop Clonmel - Carrick - Waterford - Clonmel using both greenways woud be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I just might post this here. There's a lot of support down in Galway in relation to putting in a greenway on the old Athenry/Tuam/Claremorris line. There was a motion passed last night to undertake a feasibility study for a greenway by Galway County Council. There was also a counter motion passed calling for this study to be carried out for the whole county of Galway. This in effect scuppered the original motion, which was aimed at having the study carried out prior to a deadline in November as this is when funding for these projects is cut off. Doing a study for the whole county would take too long.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057875618

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

marvin80 wrote: »
    Apologies if it's been answered already - is it doable on a road bike (tyres are 25s)?

A loop Clonmel - Carrick - Waterford - Clonmel using both greenways woud be nice.

Do-able yes but would be more comfortable with wider tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Easy question first - 25mm tyres are fine - a little buzzy perhaps but perfectly doable.

Not too sure about the Clonmel/Carrick path. I've never been on on a bike, but if memory serves it's quite narrow. It's a while since I've been on it at all and I think it may have had work done in the past couple of years, so the previous may well be completely wrong! R680 is an ok alternative - it's a nice road scenically but had an absolutely rotten surface a few years ago when I last took it.

I'd avoid the N24 - it's one of the most mind-numbingly boring stretches of road from Carrick to the outskirts of Waterford

As far as a loop is concerned, whatever way you cut it is going to involve a fair bit of road cycling to join the ends. From Carrick, my choices would be R680 to Kilmeaden (it's better on this stretch), and get the greenway there, R677 to Mahon Bridge (turn left there on local road to find the greenway), or R677/R676 to Kilmacthomas (excellent cafe there). Last two options would take you past the bottom of Seskin Hill if you're feeling lively :)

To get back to Clonmel, you're probably going to do to Dungarvan and take the R672/R671. Again, depending on how energetic you feel you could turn right at Ballymacarbery and go over Powers The Pot down into Clonmel.

You'll be looking at a minimum 120km loop I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28669472

The R671/672 is a hateful piece of road, the route here back from Clonea is a little harder but pretty and really quite.

The Carrick Clonmel Blueway is lovely. I've done it on road bike and pub bike

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Here is a profile of the gradient of the route. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've cycled the Waterford Greenway on 23c tyres without issue at all. In the main the surface is quite smooth apart from about 10k on the Waterford side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Yes, A road bike is fine for the greenway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Any bike is fine for the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I've cycled the Waterford Greenway on 23c tyres without issue at all. In the main the surface is quite smooth apart from about 10k on the Waterford side

Same I've done it a lot of times on 23's

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi Guys, planning on cycling the greenway and just wondering would you be able to do dungarvan to waterford and back again in a day? Im talking at a leisurely pace, im not out cyling the bike every day. Im just trying to get an idea in my head of how long it would take, 4 hours each way taking in sights and that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Hi Guys, planning on cycling the greenway and just wondering would you be able to do dungarvan to waterford and back again in a day? Im talking at a leisurely pace, im not out cyling the bike every day. Im just trying to get an idea in my head of how long it would take, 4 hours each way taking in sights and that?

Thanks

Certainly do-able in a day. During the summer my family (including a 14 year old who doesn't cycle) did the return trip, stopping in Kilmeaden train station on the trip to Waterford and again in Kilmacthomas on the Dungarvan route.

Thanks

That's reasonable enough time wise. One thing I'd say, Its a 95km odd round trip, so just be conscious that's a fair distance if you're only used to short trips. Not saying don't do it, just be aware of it. Worst comes to worst, i think you should be able to get a bus back to dungarvan of you're wrecked or the outward journey takes longer than you thought.

You don't say when you're thinking about it, but if it's a near term thing, bear in mind that at the moment you've only got about 9 hours of decent daylight.

Glass half empty stuff out of the way, go for it! It's a lovely spin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I wouldn't do the full return trip. With the wind against you on one leg of the journey it will tire you, especially if you aren't used to cycling weekly.

To enjoy it you need to stop off at the various cafes along the way and stop to take in the sights.

There is a blue (or green, can't remember) bus that will take your bike in Dungarvan and drop you back to Waterford. That is what I did in August but it may be seasonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Just to clarify, if you are renting a bike, most/some of the operators will offer a shuttle bus if you just want todo it one way and then get back to start. If you bring your own bike, they wont provide free taxi for you......
    I'd call ahead and check if you are renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Planning on walking the Greenway in one day this summer. Thinking of starting in Waterford and ending in Dungarvan so I can go to Merry’s for a few pints!

Anyway, not overly thrilled at the thoughts of carrying water bottles so just wondering where on the route are there any shops/cafes to purchase water and have a break.

There’ll be at least 3 of us doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Leaving Waterford (Bilberry) you will find refreshments - water, coffee at
    Mount Congreve @ 7.5km
    Kilmeaden @ 10km
    Kilmacthomas @ 23km
    Durrow @ 36km

All the info you need is on the official website http://www.visitwaterfordgreenway.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

When you are in Dungarvan, it's worth checking out the Rebike Greenway Cafe on Sarsfield St.

It's a bike-friendly social enterprise cafe, which supports the bike recycling/rehoming to people in need, that Rebike does.

Always a couple of nice vintage racing bikes on display there.

www.facebook.com/rebikegreenwaycafe

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Leaving Waterford (Bilberry) you will find refreshments - water, coffee at
    Mount Congreve @ 7.5km
    Kilmeaden @ 10km
    Kilmacthomas @ 23km
    Durrow @ 36km

All the info you need is on the official website http://www.visitwaterfordgreenway.com/

That’s brilliant, thanks.

Do you have to leave the greenway to visit these places or do you walk passed them as such?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

That’s brilliant, thanks.

Do you have to leave the greenway to visit these places or do you walk passed them as such?

You walk past them

You walk past them

Thanks.

I’ve walked some of it from the WIT hurling centre passed Mount Congrieve but that would have been right at the opening so there was nothing available then.

Now to see if I can manage the feckin walk.

Thanks.

I’ve walked some of it from the WIT hurling centre passed Mount Congrieve but that would have been right at the opening so there was nothing available then.

Now to see if I can manage the feckin walk.

Mount Congreve you'd have to walk up around the wall into the courtyard - about a 3 minute detour if memory serves. Kilmeadan, there're a cafe in the train station, Kilmac you'll pass the old workhouse just before crossing the N25. You did say you intend walking it, and it's a fair hike from there to Durrow though - I'd personally be wanting to have some water along with me for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dizzydoll

We are a family group hoping to travel the Greenway next month and looking for advice.

One of our group is older with limited fitness and is planning to use an electric bike, does this really make a difference?

We will have 2 young children that will be on the add on bikes which will be attached to 2 members of the group.

Would we be able to achieve the full Greenway in one day? Is there many hills on it? We had planned on travelling from Waterford to Dungarvan.

Where do we start the Greenway? Looked at hiring bikes but don't want to hire from the centre of Waterford and have to make our way out of the city ourselves.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement