Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend router or switch cable of VPN

Options
  • 21-05-2017 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Years ago (back in the ADSL days), I had a netgear router which allowed me to Select my own DNS and avail of VPN services.
    Basically it allowed me to configure a selected set IP's on my local network to use the VPN/DNS servers of my choosing.

Fastforward to today and I'd like to set up the same thing again.
    Things have moved on a bit however and I haven't a clue what to buy.
    The UPC/Virgin Router I have doesn't support VPN configuration

It's a Ubee - EVW3226
    Looks like a P.O.S to be honest
    I need something to put between "it" and the rest or my network that will allow me to use VPN such as Nord VPN.

Any recommendations on what to buy? I don't want to break the bank here either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

grahambo wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Years ago (back in the ADSL days), I had a netgear router which allowed me to Select my own DNS and avail of VPN services.
    Basically it allowed me to configure a selected set IP's on my local network to use the VPN/DNS servers of my choosing.

Fastforward to today and I'd like to set up the same thing again.
    Things have moved on a bit however and I haven't a clue what to buy.
    The UPC/Virgin Router I have doesn't support VPN configuration

It's a Ubee - EVW3226
    Looks like a P.O.S to be honest
    I need something to put between "it" and the rest or my network that will allow me to use VPN such as Nord VPN.

Any recommendations on what to buy? I don't want to break the bank here either.

I use an ALIX based router for just this purpose, they come with no OS. Mine is running Zeroshell but Pfsense is another popular option. Not an out of the box solution but can be configured to do just about anything you might like a router to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

emaherx wrote: »
    I use an ALIX based router for just this purpose, they come with no OS. Mine is running Zeroshell but Pfsense is another popular option. Not an out of the box solution but can be configured to do just about anything you might like a router to do.

Ideally I'd like an out of the box solution
    I don't want to be having to load Images on to devices and doing a heavy amount of configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Some answers here might help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057737976

I have not moved yet on this.

Advertisement