Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do clubs leave the NARGC?

Options
  • 21-05-2017 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

The question I have is what makes a GPA/Club decide to leave the NARGC?
    Talking to delegates at quarterly meeting yesterday some RGC`s have clubs that want to leave. We have discussed the differences in cover here before and I dont think that shortfall in cover is the reason.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

In my experience because a few malcontents decide they want to be in control as they are probably not getting their own way in the current setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Our club wants to leave our RGC because of the extortionate affiliation fees that they charge, yeah they have gamecrop subsidies and bird subsidies, tree subsidies, vermin and traps, cages etc... but in fairness your only going to buy traps or crates once in a blue moon and when you do the maths you'll actually be better off to go with one of the other insurance providers.

The NARGC model of county boards etc... is outdated. New insurance providers on the market are cutting out the middle man. You get to keep your money and spend it on what matters in the club, rather than giving it to a county board that's either going to do nothing with it or give it to some other club.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

if these proposals come in alot of clubs well question what the hell were they paying into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Our club wants to leave our RGC because of the extortionate affiliation fees that they charge, yeah they have gamecrop subsidies and bird subsidies, tree subsidies, vermin and traps, cages etc... but in fairness your only going to buy traps or crates once in a blue moon and when you do the maths you'll actually be better off to go with one of the other insurance providers.

The NARGC model of county boards etc... is outdated. New insurance providers on the market are cutting out the middle man. You get to keep your money and spend it on what matters in the club, rather than giving it to a county board that's either going to do nothing with it or give it to some other club.

Affiliation fees aren't a matter for the NARGC, Its for the County and is passed at a Meeting of the County. We pay €75 in Cavan 2 years ago we paid €50 per club (full stop)...its good value for money, we have a vermin comp, club of the year, clay shooting etc.

Ask anyone who has had an accident through the Fund, the NARGC Fund is the best out there when the **** goes down. The other insurances companies are insurers of last resort.

The NARGC model is sound albeit flawed and I wont disagree that some Clubs you need web fingers to join and be related to the Chairmans Sister.
    Unfortunately I think your issue is with your County and I am afraid you guys can only fix that..

Hunter456 wrote: »
    if these proposals come in alot of clubs well question what the hell were they paying into.

How many of the Clubs have sent in a Petition, The NARGC posted out two petitions to every Club....I want to know how many have been sent back.

In fairness Anyone read the press release from Countryside Alliance or Countrysports Ireland, or IFA Countryside.........No thought not...

• Advertisement

Affiliation fees aren't a matter for the NARGC, Its for the County and is passed at a Meeting of the County. We pay €75 in Cavan 2 years ago we paid €50 per club (full stop)...its good value for money, we have a vermin comp, club of the year, clay shooting etc.

Ask anyone who has had an accident through the Fund, the NARGC Fund is the best out there when the **** goes down. The other insurances companies are insurers of last resort.

The NARGC model is sound albeit flawed and I wont disagree that some Clubs you need web fingers to join and be related to the Chairmans Sister.
    Unfortunately I think your issue is with your County and I am afraid you guys can only fix that..

I'm well aware of what our issue is and who is responsible, and how good the NARGC cover is, but thanks for taking the time to spell it out for me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pfizer

There is life outside the mother ship ship our club left five or six years ago and we have never look back we are 100% financially better off we don't get paid to for vermin control but we're doing more now than ever before yes there is pros and cons with both insurers but with all the crap that is going on with NARGC like everyone suing everyone a failed coup attempt last summer and the carry on in cork it is quite obvious why more more clubs are leaving the mother ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

What would you change and how would you make it more relevant to you and your club?
    NARGC dont provide insurance we all pay into a compensation fund which protects us as members, but I get your point in that we have options.

pfizer wrote: »
    There is life outside the mother ship ship our club left five or six years ago and we have never look back we are 100% financially better off we don't get paid to for vermin control but we're doing more now than ever before yes there is pros and cons with both insurers but with all the crap that is going on with NARGC like everyone suing everyone a failed coup attempt last summer and the carry on in cork it is quite obvious why more more clubs are leaving the mother ship.
    I dont understand what exactly you mean when you say a failed coup attempt last summer and I dont understand how everyone suing everyone affects your club(unless you have been involved in the litigation) but what I do know is this clubs have not suffered in any material way during the last 12 months. The same cover under the compensation fund is there same as always, the same level of funding has been returned to clubs as always.
    That said what should NARGC be doing that would bring your club back to the association?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

we left a few years ago as we are a small club and we had to pay a large affialation fee every year.. they also made it complusory to attend monthly meetings.. where lads were talking crap about stuff that had nothing to do with our club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

daithi55 wrote: »
    we left a few years ago as we are a small club and we had to pay a large affialation fee every year.. they also made it complusory to attend monthly meetings.. where lads were talking crap about stuff that had nothing to do with our club

To be fair attending meetings is fairly important at times. For example these new proposals they want to bring in i was at a meeting where lads came to it and had the story that it won't affect gun clubs at all that they can still do it. If they didn't attend the meeting they wouldn't have heard the true story and would have buried their head in the sand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Whats involved in a club leaving the nargc, the club im in is considering it

jap gt wrote: »

Just inform the county that you no longer wish to to a member of your RGC/ federation.

Presumably you a an insurance provider willing to take you on as a club and that land owners are happy will the new provider. You will of course discuss leaving will all the members in you club.
    It seems at the moment it is the fashion in Cork to leave the NARGC but do what is best for your own club.

You don't have to say anything to the NARGC, you need to sort out insurance elsewhere and ensure that all your members are informed on this.

You might want to dissolve the old club and form a new club, new rules constitution etc...

You have to ensure that any member looking for membership of the club know that they are now with a new insurance provider. So they can't come back to you afterwards saying that they thought they were still under the NARGC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

You should as a club firstly agree/vote to leave the NARGC, after that no need to inform the NARGC just sort your insurance cover else where.

Is the problem with the NARGC or your County.

Clubs are affiliated to the NARGC through there County Board. If there is that much of a problem change your county heads.

After that make sure you vote it through at a meeting as per tackleberrys comment and write a letter to the Fund administrator and let him know so he can put a line under it.

You don't have to say anything to the NARGC, you need to sort out insurance elsewhere and ensure that all your members are informed on this.

You might want to dissolve the old club and form a new club, new rules constitution etc...

You have to ensure that any member looking for membership of the club know that they are now with a new insurance provider. So they can't come back to you afterwards saying that they thought they were still under the NARGC.

It would be good manners to inform the Nargc/rgc

You should as a club firstly agree/vote to leave the NARGC, after that no need to inform the NARGC just sort your insurance cover else where.

as above it would be good manners to inform The NARGC/RGC you may need them in the future why burn your bridges
    How can the Nargc affect change if clubs leave without as much as a letter of COMPLAINT TO THE NATIONAL CHAIR SO HE CAN INTERVENE IN PERHAPS A RGC PROBLEM.(yes I know I am shouting not at you just out of frustration!!!)

No offence intended Tac

grassroot1 wrote: »
    It would be good manners to inform the Nargc/rgc

It would be good manners for the RGC to contact our club from time to time to find out how we are doing rather than just sending a letter once a year to demand affiliation fees.

They'll figure out what's happened when they don't get their affiliation fee.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    THE NATIONAL CHAIR SO HE CAN INTERVENE

& do what exactly?

• Advertisement

& do what exactly?

Poor ould grassroots1 is as out of touch with what goes on as THE NATIONAL CHAIR!

😂

They'll figure out what's happened when they don't get their affiliation fee.

You don't seem to understand...the NARGC doesn't get YOUR affiliation fee. The County gets your affiliation fee.

Fix your County.

Poor ould grassroots1 is as out of touch with what goes on as THE NATIONAL CHAIR!

Deeks I feel your frustrayion but try picking up the phone and having a conversation. He was in the Anglers rest at the Ballyconnell Game night and from chatting to him he is fierce approachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Is the problem with the NARGC or your County.

Clubs are affiliated to the NARGC through there County Board. If there is that much of a problem change your county heads.

After that make sure you vote it through at a meeting as per tackleberrys comment and write a letter to the Fund administrator and let him know so he can put a line under it.

This!

If there is a problem with a county board you don't see clubs leaving the GAA.

If there is a problem within a county it can be fixed from within but it takes time.

I understand that Cork have a new Executive and a lotof good work is being done.

The NARGC put it's house in order at the top table and now clubs are going to leave?

All credit to transparency and good corporate governance but ah sure we will try our luck elsewhere?:rolleyes:

��

How is National Chairman out of touch?

I would argue he is the most proactive Chairman that I can remember.
    He has gone anywhere he has been asked to try to let members know what is going on in the Association.

Under his Chairmanship we have financial stability and a harder working Executive than ever. We now actually know what is going on within the Association.

Out of touch how, exactly? Genuinely interested..

Hi Tackleberry,

I would say that Chris Gavican in the fund office would be genuinely interested to know why clubs are leaving. If there is something wrong at county level the Executive would like to know.

After all the sh1te going on to lose clubs at this stage seems a bit strange...

Some of those here who've been NARGC members longer than a wet week will remember what happened the last time the national executive tried to tell RGCs who to have on their committees and what they could and couldn't do.

You don't seem to understand...the NARGC doesn't get YOUR affiliation fee. The County gets your affiliation fee.

Fix your County.

Cavan shooter read my posts, I know who gets the affiliation fee.

And it's the RGC/County board that gets the affiliation fee not the county, call them by its proper name if your going to be pedantic, condescending and patronising.

berettaman wrote: »
    How is National Chairman out of touch?

I would argue he is the most proactive Chairman that I can remember.
    He has gone anywhere he has been asked to try to let members know what is going on in the Association.

Under his Chairmanship we have financial stability and a harder working Executive than ever. We now actually know what is going on within the Association.

Out of touch how, exactly? Genuinely interested..

How is contacting the national chair going to do anything? What's he going to be able to do about a problem in a RGC? He can do nothing, he'll be told to mind his own business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Some of those here who've been NARGC members longer than a wet week will remember what happened the last time the national executive tried to tell RGCs who to have on their committees and what they could and couldn't do.

Yup that's why Kildare county split right down the middle

Advertisement