Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do clubs leave the NARGC?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

God I got a right response from my rant and less of the old thanks very much deeks
    Your problem deeks has been that you dont want to pay the 20 euro per member extracted by the Cork Federation 20 euro is a fair old whack right enough but what has been done at Cork federation level to try and reduce that figure?
    The national Chair might be able to talk to all sides to see if a reduction in fees is possible then again he might be told to mind his own business. The only thing I can tell you is he is proactive in holding onto clubs and members what is there to lose.
    As regards being out of touch myself maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

grassroot1 wrote: »
    God I got a right response from my rant and less of the old thanks very much deeks
    Your problem deeks has been that you dont want to pay the 20 euro per member extracted by the Cork Federation 20 euro is a fair old whack right enough but what has been done at Cork federation level to try and reduce that figure?
    The national Chair might be able to talk to all sides to see if a reduction in fees is possible then again he might be told to mind his own business. The only thing I can tell you is he is proactive in holding onto clubs and members what is there to lose.
    As regards being out of touch myself maybe

I'm sure the national chairman knows what's going on but his hands are tied. The RGCs have too much power. If a nice fellah like myself was to become involved with the county RGC I'ld be probably sucked into the ould boys club and pretty soon I'ld be totally corrupted. Probably start taking up the Jacksie and everything, even start enjoying it.

The NARGC model is dead in the water, it needs an overhaul.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

homerhop wrote: »
    Yup that's why Kildare county split right down the middle

Exactly didn't South Tipp split too?

Exactly didn't South Tipp split too?
    Was it the executive or the director that the row was with?

I'm sure the national chairman knows what's going on but his hands are tied. The RGCs have too much power. If a nice fellah like myself was to become involved with the county RGC I'ld be probably sucked into the ould boys club and pretty soon I'ld be totally corrupted. Probably start taking up the Jacksie and everything, even start enjoying it.

What changes would you make?

• Advertisement

What changes would you make?

No need for RGCs.

Was it the executive or the director that the row was with?

If you were around you'll know what happened if you weren't you don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

If a nice fellah like myself was to become involved with the county RGC I'ld be probably sucked into the ould boys club and pretty soon I'ld be totally corrupted. Probably start taking up the Jacksie and everything, even start enjoying it.

Eh, I think you are going to the wrong meetings...:D

I reckon that is part of why a constitutional review committee was set up at the last AGM..
    I would say that the NARGC are looking closely at all their structures and workings..

A lot of the problem is apathy..

Choose shooting sports politics..
    Choose 35 in a club but only 5 turn up at meetings, maybe one of them will go to a county meeting..maybe..
    Choose to go to county meetings, and out of say 50 clubs only 25 appear..
    Chose F@#k all people actually stand up and talk for what they want..
    Choose to allow the same lads to stay on...
    Choose to leave the same fat f@#k as Chairman even though he hasn't walked a field with a gun in 15 years..
    Choose to leave the same shower on the committee for a decade to cover for the Chairman...
    Choose to go out to the bar and give out sh1te after the meeting.."we need change"
    Chose to rinse and repeat..

I chose not to choose that.. I choose something else.

I got like minded shooting mad lads together from a number of clubs..clay, game, vermin, whatever, if you are pulling a trigger you are motivated..
    We agreed to support each other at meetings and elections..
    We got people elected that had the sport at heart..We got to decide policy and where our money went..

now please read my post again with your best Ewan mcGregor accent:D

berettaman wrote: »
    I reckon that is part of why a constitutional review committee was set up at the last AGM..
    I would say that the NARGC are looking closely at all their structures and workings..

A lot of the problem is apathy..

Choose shooting sports politics..
    Choose 35 in a club but only 5 turn up at meetings, maybe one of them will go to a county meeting..maybe..
    Choose to go to county meetings, and out of say 50 clubs only 25 appear..
    Chose F@#k all people actually stand up and talk for what they want..
    Choose to allow the same lads to stay on...
    Choose to leave the same fat f@#k as Chairman even though he hasn't walked a field with a gun in 15 years..
    Choose to leave the same shower on the committee for a decade to cover for the Chairman...
    Choose to go out to the bar and give out sh1te after the meeting.."we need change"
    Chose to rinse and repeat..

I chose not to choose that.. I choose something else.

I got like minded shooting mad lads together from a number of clubs..clay, game, vermin, whatever, if you are pulling a trigger you are motivated..
    We agreed to support each other at meetings and elections..
    We got people elected that had the sport at heart..We got to decide policy and where our money went..

now please read my post again with your best Ewan mcGregor accent:D

I think you summed up all of my thoughts there in that post and no doubt there are a lot more who feel the same way.

Glad to hear the NARGC are looking at their structures, hopefully we can bypass the likes of the Cork Federations of this world which have accrued too much money and have too many hangers on all looking for a piece of the pie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

There is nothing wrong with the County structure...it works well when it works well, it's good.
    However, and I have to agree with Deeks when there is a power play and a Dictatorship then it will always be a problem.

The NARGC at National Level should have oversight of Counties and I dare say Clubs. If your in the Association play by the Associations rules... It's ridiculous to think a person living in an area 10 years still can't join a "club". Our delegates said there is a constitutional review and I know see Berettamans comment so it must be true. I'm glad the existing /old NARGC is not fit for purpose and it's Constitution is dire (download it and have a read).

But I I would bet I will die and be buried before something meaningful comes from it. There is roo much power in certain Counties hands, I woll also say also let the Counties that don't like the changes that are happening leave or let the club's split away, there is nothing stopping a club affiliate to any other Region no where in the Constitution does it say it can't happen.

Ther is alot of messing going in in Counties. A mate of mine in Kilkenny said it was mentioned at a meeting last week that Kilkenny is thinking of splitting away. He wasn't happy that, his club isn't been given a choice and a couple of clubs are starting to organise. Apparently there is a meeting next week to counteract it..

Sometimes you need to break something before you can fix it...sorry for the rant....😨

What everyone posting here needs to ask is what are you going to do to affect change in the NARGC
    Dont leave it to the other guy

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sionnach dubh

Was at that meeting in Kilkenny, there was really only one man who hinting that we may have to leave the nargc. When questions were put to him about it he was deliberately vague and evasive. He also showed himself to be unconditionally loyal to the former director and very hostile to any members of the national body. The consensus at the meeting was that no clubs wanted to leave the nargc although there was one or two stooges placed strategically in the crowd who parroted back every word he said

Was at that meeting in Kilkenny, there was really only one man who hinting that we may have to leave the nargc. When questions were put to him about it he was deliberately vague and evasive. He also showed himself to be unconditionally loyal to the former director and very hostile to any members of the national body. The consensus at the meeting was that no clubs wanted to leave the nargc although there was one or two stooges placed strategically in the crowd who parroted back every word he said

Was it a meeting of the Kilkenny RGC?

And if he wanted Kilkenny RGC to leave the NARGC, what or who would they affiliate themselves with?

Sounds like muppetry of the highest order, he had that well thought out.

Thats good to hear.
    Apparently there are similar rumblings from other "loyal" Counties. There was muting that there was going to be an insurance provider linked with Sports Coalition.....they could be testing the water

Don't let them wear you down.

I'll watch Cavan AGM with interest and see if it's spreading.

Muppetry is the word..

Problems at county level comes from two areas:

1. Things aren't being run right at county level, be it money/clays/game etc and lads have brought things as far as they can and fresh ideas are needed.

2. Lads are not being told what is going on at National level or they are being told a version of the story to ramp up the worry at local level.

If you hear that the Association is not being run right take a close look at who is saying it and why. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sionnach dubh

Yeah, it was its agm, I seemed to many of us there he was trying to lay the groundwork for a move at sometime but from speaking to a lot of other club reps at the meeting they're definitely not for it. Still not clear to me anyway what his agenda is beyond just blind loyalty, but didn't seem to be the best interests of the clubs he represents

The club reps are supposed to present & represent the wishes of their clubs at RGC meetings not their own agendas as far as I'm concerned. Check with his club he may be on a solo run.

Yeah, it was its agm, I seemed to many of us there he was trying to lay the groundwork for a move at sometime but from speaking to a lot of other club reps at the meeting they're definitely not for it. Still not clear to me anyway what his agenda is beyond just blind loyalty, but didn't seem to be the best interests of the clubs he represents

Vote him off...get rid if there is now no trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Perfectstorm

the nargc has created a great legacy which is the club structure through out the country. it filled a need back in the day when insurance was no longer affordable. but that is changing. insurance which is absolutely equal to the comp fund is available. and i am not talking about the policy offered at the average game fair. that is a yellow pack version equal to 3rd party insurance.

there has been a changing of the guard in the last 2 years. the association has not recovered in full. you might not agree but that depends on which view you took last year if you did indeed favour one side over the other. personally i sit on the fence and watch and listen. i am well aware of the flaws of the previous leadership group but they did some good work too. the new leadership have had a rough ride. last year can be written off completely in my view due to the various rows. while a lot of the rows are behind us they were the warm up for the main battle still to come.

the nargc is suffering from the affect of apathy from the general membership. in any club i would say a third are very pro nargc, maybe half dont have astrong feeling either way as they just want to get out in the field and the rest are critical of the structure, fees etc

one issue is too many of the same faces at county level and as delegates for too long. everyone would benefit if delegates served for a few years and then stood aside for a few years. the executive has a few new faces but more are needed.

i also think that it has an identity crisis. what is the function of the association?

i have no great love for social media however bird watch ireand, ban blood sports etc are all there pounding away every day with their ideas, policies and opinions. make no mistake they influence people...how many times have you read about puppy farms on the ban blood sports page. ..did anti tail docking starting there too....there seemd to be little or no output from any shooting entity in ireland.that is a great shame when we are all out their rearing birds, observing nature and taking pictures which never see the light of day....

the nargc should in my view be re-organised into a business running its comp fund, game shot magazine, clay shoots with a set budget and professional staff to do pr and media as well as advocacy at a national level. keep all that stuff away from the governing body except for written reports demonstrating that the business is doing its business.

the governing body should be running the conservation, breeding programs, vermin and all the fun stuff we all actually want to be getting on with.

is the nargc to be a professional asociation run properly or an amature asssociation run by volunteers when they have the time.

• Advertisement

Been following this thread. I'm an ordinary shooting man. I've been a member through my local club of NARGC for more years than I want to remember. Thankfully I've never had to make a claim but I know lads that have. Their claims were paid out promptly & properly with no fuss (see if that happens with any of the other crowds offering insurance, I doubt it!). NARGC have in the past helped me with licencing issues whn i was being dicked around by Gardai. I have no interest in the politics of it all. For what it cost me annually I reckon I'm getting off very cheap compared to my car, house insurance etc. My club always has cash for birds, traps, feed etc. So I suppose what I'm saying is I and many others are happy with NARGC and if some few want to play politics and power games then get onto the local council or something. NARGC is fine the way it is if your not happy then go elsewhere it's still more or less a free country.

I'm 58 years old and joined the NARGC through my local club.
    I think what sets the NARGC aside is that it is an amateur association and not a businessand that's so important.

There is nothing wrong with running it like a business as an amateur way but very professional way (if that makes sense).

Every person involved is committed from club level upwards, it's to harness that energy that will be difficult. It's to change the mind set that will be difficult but I think it will change.

There is a new life being breathed into the NARGC at the minute, . But my guess is that there is still a good few bumps around the corner until it levels it's self, there is also a bit of olive branching to be done.

That same olive branch should be around 4x2 in size..If you understand what I'm getting at.

Advertisement