Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflective strips and Trout

Options
  • 21-05-2017 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

An odd question perhaps, but.............Do reflective strips on clothing spook trout while I'm fishing? I have those strips on my motorbike jacket which I wear when fishing. I don't have anywhere to store the jacket when I go fishing so end up wearing it. I'm not having much luck catching big trout, mostly smaller ones if any. So I'm looking for ways to increase my chances. Will camouflage or green/brown clothing work better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Blondie919 wrote: »
    An odd question perhaps, but.............Do reflective strips on clothing spook trout while I'm fishing? I have those strips on my motorbike jacket which I wear when fishing. I don't have anywhere to store the jacket when I go fishing so end up wearing it. I'm not having much luck catching big trout, mostly smaller ones if any. So I'm looking for ways to increase my chances. Will camouflage or green/brown clothing work better?

I don't think t would matter that much op :D aslong as you approach from behind the trout then it shouldn't matter.. a stealthy approach is needed.. as for catching big trout remember the later the better.. and do some recon sit out late evening see if you can any of them feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I wouldn't take the chance OP depending where and when you're fishing. I know some lads that wouldn't fish for seatrout with a gloss finish fly rod in case the shine caught any glimpse of light while back casting. Reflective strips would do the same and more.

Trial and error could be worth a try. Do you recall catching while wearing it? Or particular good days when you weren't?

Like everything around here, not straight answers I suppose :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Its called Camo for a reason. Your wearing Hi Vis - do the maths!

When that rte show "recruits", about irish army training was on tv, the last task the lads had to do was a 30k march after being up for 2 days, the march took them on main roads.

They were marching in camo - with high vis jackets on. One comment from an aul lad in the pub sticks with me - "you either want to be seen or ye dont"

Op if your going hunting, and fishing is hunting, dress for the occasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bigjohn17

Depends if you're fishing a lake/river/from the bank/boat etc.

A phenomena called total internal reflection means a lot of what fish see is actually just a reflection of the lake/river bed - They can't see what's above the surface after a certain angle.

Similar to how we can't see below the surface after a certain angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you are on a river then you need stealth. Reflective strips are just not fitting that bill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement