Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering teaching vs construction teaching

• 21-05-2017 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am a leaving cert student with little time left before the cao change of mind closes.
    I am really finding it hard to choose between a course in engineering teaching or construction teaching as I have a mutual love for both subjects.
    I'm just looking for some opinions from people who may have taught both.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭CWF

LiamMaq wrote: »
    I am a leaving cert student with little time left before the cao change of mind closes.
    I am really finding it hard to choose between a course in engineering teaching or construction teaching as I have a mutual love for both subjects.
    I'm just looking for some opinions from people who may have taught both.
    It comes down to personal preference. I'm teaching metalwork, tech graphics, technology etc for the last 7 years. You usually do one or the other, metalwork or woodwork teaching.

From a Jobs perspective it's probably easier to get a woodwork teaching job as more schools have woodwork over metalwork. But I wouldn't let that sway my decision either, pick which ever one you'd prefer, remember you'd be teaching engineering or construction too so that's also something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LiamMaq

CWF wrote: »
    It comes down to personal preference. I'm teaching metalwork, tech graphics, technology etc for the last 7 years. You usually do one or the other, metalwork or woodwork teaching.

From a Jobs perspective it's probably easier to get a woodwork teaching job as more schools have woodwork over metalwork. But I wouldn't let that sway my decision either, pick which ever one you'd prefer, remember you'd be teaching engineering or construction too so that's also something to consider.

Thanks
    I have a few questions for you
    Did you have an interest in woodwork teaching and if so how did you decide what to do ?
    How do you like teaching engineering?
    Do you ever get fed up teaching the same things?

LiamMaq wrote: »
    Thanks
    I have a few questions for you
    Did you have an interest in woodwork teaching and if so how did you decide what to do ?
    How do you like teaching engineering?
    Do you ever get fed up teaching the same things?

I've no interest in woodwork teaching. I teach metalwork. I don't mind teaching engineering. I teach a load of subjects but yeah I get tired of teaching certain topics alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

LiamMaq wrote:
    I am a leaving cert student with little time left before the cao change of mind closes. I am really finding it hard to choose between a course in engineering teaching or construction teaching as I have a mutual love for both subjects. I'm just looking for some opinions from people who may have taught both.

Depends where your bigger interest lies. I've TG and MTW, never had the same drive for Metalwork. They're both the same in the context of projects and practicals at Leaving Cert level.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Teach engineering MW,DCG,TG & a bit of ICT......I love my job but wouldn't recommend it to any LC grad with any type of promise.....new teachers are getting a pretty raw deal these days.....
    Anyways,personally I much prefer working with metals and plastics to the inconsistentcy of wood.
    .....for me the main perks of engineering are the fact you can bring your own interests Into the workshop.
    For example i've had classes working on engines,robotics,artefact restoration & 3D printing within this school year......at the min I'm making fidget spinners with my classes,.....I love the product design element that's common to both,but there's an ever changing special topic that's unique to engineering......I can see this new JC making a farce of technical subjects & unfortunately the teaching courses in UL really limit you to one type of career.

• Advertisement

sandyxxx wrote: »
    Teach engineering MW,DCG,TG & a bit of ICT......I love my job but wouldn't recommend it to any LC grad with any type of promise.....new teachers are getting a pretty raw deal these days.....
    Anyways,personally I much prefer working with metals and plastics to the inconsistentcy of wood.
    .....for me the main perks of engineering are the fact you can bring your own interests Into the workshop.
    For example i've had classes working on engines,robotics,artefact restoration & 3D printing within this school year......at the min I'm making fidget spinners with my classes,.....I love the product design element that's common to both,but there's an ever changing special topic that's unique to engineering......I can see this new JC making a farce of technical subjects & unfortunately the teaching courses in UL really limit you to one type of career.

Have you a working drawing for the fidget spinner, I'd love to make the with my technology class. Do they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

CWF wrote: »
    Have you a working drawing for the fidget spinner, I'd love to make the with my technology class. Do they work?

Attached below,worked best with 3D Printing due to tolerences needed on 22mm bearing hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mindhackers

I am thinking of going into teaching woodwork in the future, what are the current job prospects at the moment within this subject area. I know in the past that a lot of graduates from UL found it difficult to find work within this area. Has it changed somewhat, or is it that a lot of graduates still go to the UK after graduating?

I am thinking of going into teaching woodwork in the future, what are the current job prospects at the moment within this subject area. I know in the past that a lot of graduates from UL found it difficult to find work within this area. Has it changed somewhat, or is it that a lot of graduates still go to the UK after graduating?
    Check on educationposts.ie it's only definitive way of knowing. But it's largely pointless looking now if there are job opportunities because by the time you're qualified it could be a different situation.
    Currently a lot of new graduates are moving abroad to the UAE to teach. That's where I'll be heading in 14 months and I've been teaching since I graduated, 7 years and I still can't save. Living in Dublin is a disaster!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

People have been waiting on the different situation a long time now.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    People have been waiting on the different situation a long time now.

We have indeed.

Advertisement