Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken extractor disaster at the range today

Options
  • 21-05-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

So, I've only had my .308 for two weeks. I was trying out different types of ammo to see what it likes. After only 3 shots this morning, it started failing to eject. Looked at the bolt face and the tip of the extractor had chipped off.

It's a Unique Alpine TPG-1, so I imagine that these extractors are hard to come by in Ireland :)

I've sent Unique Alpine a mail anyway, so hopefully they can get me sorted. Frickin disaster though.

I'm blaming the Steel match ammo, I was using at one stage. When I get it fixed, I'm going to steer clear of steel case stuff in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Why not try Sportsden as well - they sell them so may be able to source parts

https://www.sportsden.ie/unique-alpine-mod-tpg-1-bavarian-308.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

J.R. wrote: »

Thanks JR. I'll give them a bell tomorrow. But I think that the UA they have for sale is a trade-in rather than them being agents for UA. I may be wrong though.

J.R. wrote: »

Sent them off an e-mail there now. Bit of a longshot, but worth a try. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

New or second hand? The rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    New or second hand? The rifle.

Second hand I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've used steel case ammo in a few rifles and never suffered such a problem. I wonder if the ammo was to blame, the rifle itself or other factors such as dry firing, etc.

If you don't mind me asking what made you go for the Unique Alpine? Is it the TPG-1?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    I've used steel case ammo in a few rifles and never suffered such a problem. I wonder if the ammo was to blame, the rifle itself or other factors such as dry firing, etc.

If you don't mind me asking what made you go for the Unique Alpine? Is it the TPG-1?

It is the TPG-1. It's about 10 years old. So it could just be metal fatigue. It looked like the tip of the extractor just sheared off. So, there's nothing to engage the rim of the case.

Why did I buy the TPG-1? Well, it was a combination of wanting something very accurate, the price was very good, and quite a chunk of heart over head. :)

And by dog does it shoot well. Other than the crap day today, I'm very happy with it. It's a bit of a lump as rifles go, but it was only ever going to be a range queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Always a prudent idea to keep an emergency kit of critical spares,ie ejector,extractor,critical springs and small fiddley bits in the range bag or close to the rifle for times when Mr Murphy decides to clusterfk your day on the range or hill.:) So when you are onto Unique again,ask them if they have a users critical parts replacement kit for bits that might go "Sproing" or lost.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Absolutely. I'm going to get 5 of them if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

I agree with your view on the TPG1. It is a heavy rifle, but infinitely adjustable and the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. It has re-appeared as the FN Ballista. My experience of their customer support is that they are slow but they get there in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement