Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Trackers

• 21-05-2017 2:18pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

With the amount of bikes being stolen lately, even when they have been locked to a ground anchor, it sees that having a gps tracker might be the best option. Mate of mine bought one for €50 that has a simcard in it, and an app that you can see where the bike is at any time - and even have it text you if it moves etc. You do have to top up by €5 a month to keep it active though. I hear there are the cheap chinese ones but not sure how good they are.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Looking for something similar myself

Zascar wrote: »
    With the amount of bikes being stolen lately, even when they have been locked to a ground anchor, it sees that having a gps tracker might be the best option. Mate of mine bought one for €50 that has a simcard in it, and an app that you can see where the bike is at any time - and even have it text you if it moves etc. You do have to top up by €5 a month to keep it active though. I hear there are the cheap chinese ones but not sure how good they are.

Any recommendations?

If its a 50 euro one your mate has then it is one of the cheap Chinese ones. I looked into them before and after a bit of research it looked like it wouldn't work here because it needed to be used on an older network discontinued in most of Europe.

The expensive ones are about 300 plus subscription every year.

If your mates works fine then I would see no reason not to get the same one? Do you know where he got it or provide more info on how good it works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

I would also be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its a 50 euro one your mate has then it is one of the cheap Chinese ones. I looked into them before and after a bit of research it looked like it wouldn't work here because it needed to be used on an older network discontinued in most of Europe.

Thats 2G, with Three (or Lyca/Tesoc/id etc.) this could be a problem. With Vodafone(Postphone) or Eir/Meteor you'll be ok for another year or two.

This is a bit promo-y but it seems the trackers are quite effective. Worth a sub if your bike is anyway valuable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Would love to see how quickly the police over here respond to a call from a GPS tracking unit......

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Would love to see how quickly the police over here respond to a call from a GPS tracking unit......

Apperantly they won't, they won't go on someone's property anyway because they are only accurate to 20 metres and if it's a terraced/semi d house won't get a warrant. That was said on another forum i have no idea if true .

Edit, I just watched the video above and they confirm what the poster on another forum said. It has to have an RF feature on it to be tracked to someone's house as it's more accurate.

So if I was going to pay a company here for the service I would want to know do they track by RF aswell as GPS and will they go looking for it like that guys company does.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Similar price on ebay. Might give it a go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Battery operated, last 3 months - but you still have to take it out and recharge it. Can you hard wire it in also?

Advertisement