Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One4all cards

Options
  • 21-05-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Really unhappy with these things. You pay E105 to get E100, then they charge you 1.45 every month after a year. You need to know the balance all the time so you can use them.
    I can only imagine how much money the cream off every month in this scam.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

You can buy Amazon gift cards with the One4All cards now.

The exchange rate is better than the standard Amazon rate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont buy them, if somebody offers them to you explain whats wrong with them and politely refuse. Eventually it'll die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

It costs €102 to get a card with €100 on it , for that you get the card , an envelope and a directory so effectively you have a ready made gift and don't have to buy card if you don't want to.

The simple way to avoid charges is to spend the €100, can't understand why it would take you more than a year to spend €100.

It takes 30secs to check your balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

ED E wrote: »
    Dont buy them, if somebody offers them to you explain whats wrong with them and politely refuse. Eventually it'll die.

So if someone offers you a gift of a €100 one for all gift card you would refuse it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

Shelflife wrote: »
    It costs €102 to get a card with €100 on it , for that you get the card , an envelope and a directory so effectively you have a ready made gift and don't have to buy card if you don't want to.

The simple way to avoid charges is to spend the €100, can't understand why it would take you more than a year to spend €100.

It takes 30secs to check your balance.

I got one 2 christmases ago, I took me 9 months to find someone who'd actually accept it. And to finish it off I had to log into a cumbersome website which took 10 minutes. The guy at the counter was really nice about it, but it's far from convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Yeah they are shyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I get some regularly and had no problem spending the last one for €100.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

There are dozens of places to spend them and a year is certainly long enough for a mere €100.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

/\/ollog wrote: »
    And to finish it off I had to log into a cumbersome website which took 10 minutes.

I checked the balances on 5 cards the other day and it took me about 3 minutes. I don't know what website you were using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Buy them every so often on adverts use them in Argos then dump the card if under €3 as the hassle is what has been described, if you get one use it in argos as they take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I actually think they're great, and wouldn't object to receiving one. You can spend them in so many shops. I usually take mine to M&S or TK Maxx as treats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I got one 2 christmases ago, I took me 9 months to find someone who'd actually accept it.

Quite obviously you didn't look terribly well considering so many main stores take them.

Full list is both in a catalogue available in EVERY post office and on their website.

Anyone who can't spend it within 12 months probably doesn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭shane b

About 2 years ago we got several over a short period, kept them all together but kept forgetting to bring them with us when we went shopping. Lost a nice bit when we did remember but lesson learned.
    Now its goes in the wallet or wifes purse and we figured out where best to use them. Eg Argos, shopping in supervalu close to us, wife uses them for underwear in debenhams or anything in Boots chemists.

They are great for stocking up on all the car care products in Hanford too. Argos is ideal, as they have such a range of products.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Silpac wrote: »
    Really unhappy with these things. You pay E105 to get E100, then they charge you 1.45 every month after a year. You need to know the balance all the time so you can use them.
    I can only imagine how much money the cream off every month in this scam.

They're quite up front about the charges, it's clearly stated in the T+Cs which you agree to before you buy one.

Calling it a 'scam' would be a fairly serious allegation that you hopefully have some basis for.

Or if somebody's given you one and you're that upset about it, I'm sure you can find a charity that would be willing to take it off your hands :rolleyes:

So if someone offers you a gift of a ?100 one for all gift card you would refuse it ?

Depending on the circumstances, yes.

If they werent so underhanded I'd be ok with, but the slip you get them on makes it no way obvious that it will essentially expire after a year.

When I went to use my last one I ended up getting something I didnt really need from Argos as they arent really that useful. Was gonna get a weeks shopping in Supervalu but nah, only works in like six of them nationally not all of them.

MOH wrote: »
    They're quite up front about the charges, it's clearly stated in the T+Cs which you agree to before you buy one.

Calling it a 'scam' would be a fairly serious allegation that you hopefully have some basis for.

Or if somebody's given you one and you're that upset about it, I'm sure you can find a charity that would be willing to take it off your hands :rolleyes:

Thats the issue. The T+Cs are obvious to the purchaser, not the recipient who they impact.

I got one 2 christmases ago, I took me 9 months to find someone who'd actually accept it. And to finish it off I had to log into a cumbersome website which took 10 minutes. The guy at the counter was really nice about it, but it's far from convenient.

Did you not think about consulting their website? Can't imagine that took 9 months...

https://www.one4all.ie/retailer.html

That took me two seconds.

Thats the issue. The T+Cs are obvious to the purchaser, not the recipient who they impact.

Not at all. I have never bought any but have received them and I'm fully aware of the terms and charges.

For a start, who gets any voucher and doesn't check when it expires or begins to incur costs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Supervalue take them, quite an easy way to spend them

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Really. People need to take some responsibility. Even if you get them as a gift it takes 2 minutes to Google them for their terms.
    Every gift voucher has an expiry date. If assume a year if it wasn't stated obviously.
    Obviously cash is better but if you get one of these and you can't find a retailer in a year to use them in then hard luck.
    I don't like getting them either. It's a pain using them up 100%. It's not rocket science though and I've never had a major hindrance.

As for checking the balance online. If it takes you more than 2 minutes. You're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

j4vier wrote: »
    Supervalue take them, quite an easy way to spend them

A very small number of them take them

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

L1011 wrote: »
    A very small number of them take them

I think it's only the Superquinns that were rebanded as Super Valu that take them

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Spocker wrote: »
    I think it's only the Superquinns that were rebanded as Super Valu that take them

And a very small number of others - about ten I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Your weekly groceries are about the only thing you can't spend them on, the list of retailers is MASSIVE and you can even convert to Amazon credit if you're really stuck.

I can't believe anyone would really complain about this gift, I think it's fantastic. If you can't spend a One4All voucher, I'd be baffled as to what you're spending your money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

So if someone offers you a gift of a €100 one for all gift card you would refuse it ?

Depending on the circumstances, yes.

[...]

Oh please, don't!

Take it and send it to me. I'd happily take that burden off your back. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I get one as a present every Christmas. Debenhams online take them and I tend to use them there. Normally when I get them there is a list of where take them included and this has a list of terms and conditions included. There person who gives it put a note of when it was purchased so I put a reminder in my phone a month before the year is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Your weekly groceries are about the only thing you can't spend them on, the list of retailers is MASSIVE and you can even convert to Amazon credit if you're really stuck.

I can't believe anyone would really complain about this gift, I think it's fantastic. If you can't spend a One4All voucher, I'd be baffled as to what you're spending your money on.

There's this other payment method called cash that's so much better and leaves the recipient with pretty much limitless choice with no penalties for non use :D

• Advertisement

There's this other payment method called cash that's so much better and leaves the recipient with pretty much limitless choice with no penalties for non use :D

And can't be given tax free as a small gift from employers.

Advertisement