Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One4all cards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Speculation on who a poster is/works for isn't allowed (including the inaccurate speculation that I'm a retailer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

L1011 wrote: »
    Read the thread. See retailers providing the figures

I'm suggesting people use any of the multiple other options which are better for the consumer - one4all is specifically bad for the consumer.

If you have an issue with posts, report them and another mod can decide on them. Ordering any poster to stop is back seat moderation and not acceptable in any circumstances.

Do not post again in that manner

It's standard in any discussion to ask a poster to backup their claims with evidence.

Asking for this evidence is not back seat moderation. It happens regularly everyday. i.e. link?

Asking a poster to withdraw their comments if they cannot substantiate their claims is also standard in any discussion IMO.

It's standard in any discussion to ask a poster to backup their claims with evidence.

Asking for this evidence is not back seat moderation. It happens regularly everyday. i.e. link?

Asking a poster to withdraw their comments if they cannot substantiate their claims is also standard in any discussion IMO.

You have told me to stop posting due to being a moderator, oddly enough that only goes the other way.

At this stage - do not post in this thread again without another moderator saying it's OK. Circular argument and back seat moderation add nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Speculation on who a poster is/works for isn't allowed (including the inaccurate speculation that I'm a retailer)

How long is that rule in place since a few years back a poster claimed I was a Garda and the mod in that thread did nothing about it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

SPDUB wrote: »
    How long is that rule in place since a few years back a poster claimed I was a Garda and the mod in that thread did nothing about it .

As a mod of CI, I intensely dislike that form of posting and I do not like to see it here in CI. It detracts from debate. If you see a post like that, please report it. You can always follow up with a PM to a mod if you feel strongly about a particular issue. This is a general approach to dealing with issues on Boards, not just here in CI.

Now, back on track please. No more on-thread discussion of moderation

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Well I got given a 200 euro card from work last week. Very happy had no trouble.spending it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

These one4all cards are now practically useless since they stopped the Amazon support, I was able to use up my one4all giftcard by converting it over to Amazon vouchers and buying mundane stuff like Ink and Paper etc. which I normally buy on Amazon.

Doltanian wrote: »
    These one4all cards are now practically useless since they stopped the Amazon support, I was able to use up my one4all giftcard by converting it over to Amazon vouchers and buying mundane stuff like Ink and Paper etc. which I normally buy on Amazon.

Yup, I cancelled my card this morning. Getting it paid into my bank account. €242 spent where I want to is worth more to me than €250 where I can use a One4All.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Do you have a link to support your claim of 10% charges?

If you don't you should withdraw your statements on it. It's conjecture and it distorts the debate.

I'm a retailer and have been for many years.

I used to accept one4all, but the cost was simply too much for what they provided.

Our gross margin is about 35% (before any costs), our net margin is less than 5%,

One4all charge 10% of the vat inclusive price of the sale, so a sale of € 123.00 has a commission of €12.30, but as revenue commissioners won't share in the commission cost, the 12.30 is on the net of vat €100, thus the cost is 12.3% of the sale.

Me2you charge me 4.2% - that's 5% of the net sale value.

Hence I and many other retailers accept Me2You cards but won't accept One4All.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I'm a retailer and have been for many years.

I used to accept one4all, but the cost was simply too much for what they provided.

Our gross margin is about 35% (before any costs), our net margin is less than 5%,

One4all charge 10% of the vat inclusive price of the sale, so a sale of € 123.00 has a commission of €12.30, but as revenue commissioners won't share in the commission cost, the 12.30 is on the net of vat €100, thus the cost is 12.3% of the sale.

Me2you charge me 4.2% - that's 5% of the net sale value.

Hence I and many other retailers accept Me2You cards but won't accept One4All.

Thanks for the input. Very interesting.

When you accepted One4all did you increase your prices to cover their charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Thanks for the input. Very interesting.

When you accepted One4all did you increase your prices to cover their charges?

If we continued with it we would have had to look somewhere to cover the costs - probably less promotional offers or a small overall increase in price.

But that would mean a loss of general business, hence it was cheaper to ditch it.

A small business simply can't take a 12.3% cost into the business without it coming from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Me2You costs the same as One4All for employers and has a better acceptance list - all Tesco stores for instance, when One4All is usable at a handful of Supervalus mostly in Dublin and no other supermarkets.
    Just on the Tesco front - it's theoretically usable in all Tescos, in the self service tills only. In practice it doesn't work in 90% of the tills I've tried.

kkhornet wrote: »
    If your struggling to find somewhere to spend it just sent it back to one4all for the cash equivalent. I think they charge maybe €5 or some value close to that to change to cash
    kkhornet wrote: »
    See section 10, redemption

https://www.one4all.ie/terms-conditions

Note that doesn't work if it's a tax-free gift card from your employer. I'd checked their T+Cs, then asked One4All last year, even gave them the card number, and they confirmed they'd refund me for it. After I sent it in they rang me to tell me they couldn't refund it, and sent it back to me.

MOH wrote: »
    Just on the Tesco front - it's theoretically usable in all Tescos, in the self service tills only. In practice it doesn't work in 90% of the tills I've tried.

Note that doesn't work if it's a tax-free gift card from your employer. I'd checked their T+Cs, then asked One4All last year, even gave them the card number, and they confirmed they'd refund me for it. After I sent it in they rang me to tell me they couldn't refund it, and sent it back to me.

Urgh, so I might be getting a phone call :D

I talked to them on the phone, you'd think they would ask that. I said I got it from work last Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I find the one-4-all cards onbeliveably annoying. There is an expiry date written on the front of the card, typically 4 years from purchase. However, they start swiping the money back a long time before that. 
    My kids started receiving them as birthday pressies from classmates, which is nice. However, obviously people are either re-gifting them , or they buy in bulk at the start of the year , or something, as when I go to check the balance, I have 1 week left before it starts deducting, or it has already started deducting, there is less than 4 euro on it. 

Personally, I think it's a bit rich to charge everyone, at every stage... 
    -the buyer ->  service charge. 
    -the user / recipient, wipes out the value if they don't move fast enough
    -the retailer, for it being spent there. 

I found them annoying enough to spend them tbh. Clothes, they're not taken in either Zara or Forever21 for example. Most of the local traders around here don't take them, and I don't tend to go to debenhams or boots. Groceries, they are not taken online by anyone at all for delivery. 
    So there's that overhead as well. I can't just go about my business and spend them as I go, I have to research every bloody place, juggle a handful of cards, take time at a till working out what combo I need to spend in what time order, and what qty will cover what I'm doing and clear a card down. Try doing that with a bunch of kids hanging off you going in multiple directions, carrying a load of stuff and in a rush. Fun score is firmly negative.
    I currently have 5 of the stupid things in my wallet, each with a little post-it with the qty and expiry on them, all around the fiver mark. They are hassle hassle hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

If you want to get rid of pesky small balances, charities like the ISPCC and Jack & Jill accept remaining balances on One4All vouchers as donations.

https://www.one4all.ie/retailer/charitable-organisations.html

MOH wrote: »

Had my €250 tax-free gift from work paid into my account yesterday (less €8 fee). Don't know how if they've changed policy or just missed it, but I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

how would they know if its tax free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Gonna pick up one of these cards, but first just checking if there are better alternatives at the moment accepted in more places on/offline?

• Advertisement

Fromme2u or something like that had better acceptance last I checked. Prepaid credit cards are higher again, perfectcard for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cash all the way, stick a post it note on as to where you want the person to spend it.

Nah has to be a gift card for the €500 Xmas bonus thing. I'm my own employee :)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If it's just for the tax break, IMO the most practical option is a gift card for whatever supermarket you regularly shop in.

Quackster wrote: »
    If it's just for the tax break, IMO the most practical option is a gift card for whatever supermarket you regularly shop in.

interesting, i'll check what supervalu have

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

mrcheez wrote: »
    Nah has to be a gift card for the €500 Xmas bonus thing. I'm my own employee :)

Yes in that case go with One4All, plenty of places to spend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Depends on what would you prefer to spend it for. My employer did not give us any choice for years, only Dunnes gift card. 2 or 3 years ago the range widened, now we can choose: Dunnes, One4all or me2you. Both one4all and me2you have online and offline retailers accepting their cards listed on their websites. :)

Last year I chose one4all and spent it mostly for grocery shopping in supervalu, as well as halfords and micksgarage purchases. This time I chose me2you - I'm gonna use it almost exclusively for fuel (applegreen). :D

good stuff, so there are only two players. I'll check what range of retailers each has, and fees, if any for getting the card. Actually just recalled supervalu are notorious for mispricing items (always have to check receipt) so cash is my preferred way of dealing with them, but I do have lots of other places in mind for card usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Perfect card. Prepaid MasterCard you can use anywhere and you can use it for tax break up to €500

• Advertisement

Yourmama wrote: »
    Perfect card. Prepaid MasterCard you can use anywhere and you can use it for tax break up to €500

cool if it qualifies I'll check it out

Advertisement