Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce or BCL for no 2?

• 21-05-2017 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone, as I'm torn between commerce and law it's probably obvious that Business & Law is my first choice.
    However I'm in 2 minds about what to put as my number 2 on the cao ,or even if BCL or commerce should be my no 1 instead. Both courses have their advantages and disadvantages to me.
    I would do the Law with Politics because I'm really interested in current affairs, also it gives me electives so I could keep up my language (Spanish).However I'm not 100% sure I want to be a solicitor and I'm not sure what other jobs you could get from law w pol, unless it was working in an embassy, govt etc but those jobs are few and far between. Basically I don't want to tie myself down to one career, although I am an Englishy, analytical person so I feel law really could be for me.Writing skills are a great asset for me. The module content also looks quite interesting, however I notice a lot of the modules have huge final exam assessment which will definitely add pressure. A lot of study will be needed and I don't want to spend the whole 4 years in the library either.I wonder if I'll be able for it academically. It seems like a fantastic,well respected degree though (if it's for you).

Commerce looks good aswell as it gives you a firm grounding across all areas of business before allowing you to specialize.Also has electives so I'd say I'd be able to do Spanish aswell. Obviously the internship is a huge draw. Lot of continuous assessment = less pressure. I love economics and accounting in school. Seems to be a lot of choice for careers. However I wonder if it will be boring or not enough of a challenge. I don't want to be academically frustrated and have the course be beyond my understanding but I don't want to do a degree that provides little mental stimulation either. I fear my writing ability might go to waste. However the reason I want to do commerce is to get into HR as I am big into administration, talking to people etc. It seems like a good balance of writing and solitary work(which I much prefer to group work), and interaction with others. Also a lot of the business modules look very wishy-washy and unnecessary cough foundations of management . I imagine it's very hard going back to college after your internship as well.

Basically, will I have options outside of law if I do BCL? Should I go with the safe option (commerce)? Would a law degree on a CV give an impression of having a more diligent work ethic? Does commerce look like a default degree for people who don't know what to do after school? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Advertisement