Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break lease

Options
  • 21-05-2017 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello, Almost six years ago me and my friends had to break a fixed term lease (12 months). Unfortunately we had no choise and were only able to stay a four months. With the rents paid we left a note along with the keys and a clean apartment. The deposit stayed with the landlord. I know he can report this case to the rtb for potential loss of money. Our contract also says we have to pay 20 Euro a day for late rents. Contract also says that this is a fixed term lease breaking the terms or failing to comply with our responsibilities results in loss of the deposit.

I stayed 30 more days in Ireland after we broke the lease and I don't think he even made an attempt to contact us during that time. The ll also had our job details so he could always contact us through our employers. He also had our passport copies and one of the phone numbers was a number from the country we live in now.

Bottom line, is there a debt that is ticking and growing every day and one day he will send a letter/contact us through a collector or tax office wanting an astronomical sum we won't be able to pay back? Or has he most likely just relet the apartment and ignored to claim any further money. Is it also safe to visit Ireland for holidays or will I face a huge debt at the airport :p

Big thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

Very unlikely that there is any issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Did you leave any unpaid bills behind..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kublaikhan

Giblet wrote: »
    Did you leave any unpaid bills behind..

Initially yes (internet) but they sent me a few mails so I paid them. That was years ago as well. I actually called my bank and gym just to check everything was ok cuz I didn't remember if I had anything left to pay, but everything was ok. We made sure to end our electricity subscription on the day we left the apartment and paid our final bill.

So I can just forget about it or what? I am thinking the ll would have contacted us through our employers/ called us while we still were in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Im curious as to why you are suddenly concerned about it now....6 years later? Do you not think if something was to happen it would have happened by now?

• Advertisement

I am kind of asking myself the same question. Cannot give you a good answer, nothing else to worry about I guess.

Back in 2011 me and my friends broke a 12 month lease 4-5 months into the contract. All rents were paid the apartment cleaned and the deposit stayed with the landlord. I just wonder if there is any risk that I have a huge fee back in Ireland ? We just left the keys in his box with a letter since we had to leave the country. He had the details to our employers, passport copies and Irish phone numbers but I haven’t heard a word. Also I stayed in the country the upcoming month but he didn’t even bother to call us. No idea why but I just started to think about this. Best regards K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Customs, immigration, police etc authorities couldn't care less about what is a private dispute between you and the landlord over whether you owe him money and, if so, how much. It's up to him to pursue you and, once you left the country, that was never going to be easy. Six years later, it's in practice impossible, and I'd say the landlord has long since abandoned any attempts to find you and sue you. You are very unlikely to have any problems if you visit Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement