Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabra to live

Options
  • 21-05-2017 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all

I would really appreciate some advice.
    I am considering buying around Dingle Road Cabra.
    I don't know a lot about the area and I was wondering if people knew if it was a nice place to live or might it be a little bit rough or unsafe?

Any information would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The_Commander

I lived there for about 6 months when I was a student. It could get a "bit wild" at times, but once you apply common sense you will be ok. I made some of my best friends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SFT

Thank you for the reply. Really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Wow the price of a two bed is quite high on Dingle Road...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

Cabra is a great place to live. Very close to the city and now with the luas at Broombridge its closer. Dingle road is 10 mis walk to luas and the same to stoneybatter, 20 mins to the park and 30 mins to O'Connell street. It's a nice road not used as a rat run and close to the local shops.
    I live in D15 now but grew up in Cabra, most of my family still live there now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I live pretty close to Cabra and travel through there quite a lot and it's a relatively quiet area now compared to years back. It may have had a rough reputation a generation or two ago but it's very settled now with a lot of pensioners and younger families who have bought houses in the area living together.

It's also very close to town. Interesting when the North Strand was bombed by the Nazis in 1941, most of those who lost their homes were rehoused in the (then) brand new Cabra West. Those relocated there complained that it was "way out in the sticks". Now it's seen a very close to the city centre. How Dublin has changed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 SFT

That's really helpful. Thank you both so much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

I live on Prussia street which is a 15 minute walk form Cabra road. If anything, Cabra road is quieter than Stoneybatter!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭howtolive

Hi All,

Any opinions on Cabra East - Quarry Rd, Leix, Annaly etc.? Looking at the Cabra Neighbourhood Watch facebook there seems to a fair amount of burglaries/attempts reported etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I live in cabra an wouldnt live on dingle rd. or west cabra in general.

howtolive wrote: »
    Hi All,

Any opinions on Cabra East - Quarry Rd, Leix, Annaly etc.? Looking at the Cabra Neighbourhood Watch facebook there seems to a fair amount of burglaries/attempts reported etc.

they all come down from cabra west :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭howtolive

they all come down from cabra west :D

Joking or not, that is pretty much my worry about buying there - that the small minority of people from neighbouring roads/areas are causing ongoing issues.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've never seen the roller shutters up in The Cabra House pub in the 10 or so times I've been in the area. Several modern republican memorials in the area. Occasional groups of 'lads' wandering about. Broombridge station area is a little rough, but has improved hugely on 5-10 years ago. Some residents take care of their properties, some don't.

Neighbourhood shops at either end of Dingle Road and at Cabra Road / Annamoe Terrace. Maple Centre on Navan Road has Iceland and Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Hi,

I moved to Cabra, i rented up on the navan road for a few years prior to that and became quite familiar with the area.
    I live in Cabra East now which is the more settled part in most peoples opinions.
    I really like it here, it is very close to the city centre and closer again to smithfield for cinema, pubs, events, and stoneybatter is just down the road which is often referred to as hipster central. The new luas will add to Cabra's accessibility too.
    I find the area to be a mixed bag: on Cabra road and neighbouring parts of Phibsborough houses are very expensive and in parts of Cabra some houses are not so expensive and you have everything in between. There is a large amount of small stores and most things are local i.e. tesco, lidl, gyms, libraries, butchers, barbers, pharmacy. It's also got a primary care centre and deaf village (swimming pool and gym). A bus to town won't take long and there is several bus options.
    The phoenix park and botanic gardens are either side of cabra (arguably) . The M50 and route to airport is close too.
    You see the odd dodgy fella or odd bit of anti social element but for the most part its grand. Value for money i say! house values are increasingly rapidly by the way.

Piriz wrote: »
    Hi,

I moved to Cabra, i rented up on the navan road for a few years prior to that and became quite familiar with the area.
    I live in Cabra East now which is the more settled part in most peoples opinions.
    I really like it here, it is very close to the city centre and closer again to smithfield for cinema, pubs, events, and stoneybatter is just down the road which is often referred to as hipster central. The new luas will add to Cabra's accessibility too.
    I find the area to be a mixed bag: on Cabra road and neighbouring parts of Phibsborough houses are very expensive and in parts of Cabra some houses are not so expensive and you have everything in between. There is a large amount of small stores and most things are local i.e. tesco, lidl, gyms, libraries, butchers, barbers, pharmacy. It's also got a primary care centre and deaf village (swimming pool and gym). A bus to town won't take long and there is several bus options.
    The phoenix park and botanic gardens are either side of cabra (arguably) . The M50 and route to airport is close too.
    You see the odd dodgy fella or odd bit of anti social element but for the most part its grand. Value for money i say! house values are increasingly rapidly by the way.
    Luas is opening up in a few months. It should see house prices rocket.

Advertisement