Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised border against a fence

Options
  • 21-05-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

I've attached a pic of the fence on one side of the garden, we want to have a raised border against this fence.
    What are the best ways of protecting the fence while securing it to make sure that the soil doesn't filter though the gaps.

I'm not much of a gardener so if it could be explained to me as if I'm an impetuous 5 year old that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The fence isn't designed to retain the pressure of the soil, so I'd say you'd need to build a retaining "back" to the bed as you would to the front.

That will protect your fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with lumen, in fact the growth (at the bottom) that is there at the moment could rot your fence fairly quickly if it is against the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Thanks,

She wants sleepers for the front of the boarder, am I best to build a small block wall to the rear, I'm worried though that digging down for foundations, although it wouldn't be that deep, may affect the fence. The fence itself is 11 years old (we only moved here a year ago) but I don't think it was ever retreated.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Why specifically does the bed have to be raised ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

LurkerNo1 wrote: »
    Why specifically does the bed have to be raised ?

As with a lot of things in my life it can be answered with "my wife"

• Advertisement

hairyslug wrote: »
    As with a lot of things in my life it can be answered with "my wife"

Fair enough but it can be an awful waste of time, money and effort for something that is not needed. Raised beds seem to be the answer to every type of planting these days and i don't know why ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

LurkerNo1 wrote:
    Fair enough but it can be an awful waste of time, money and effort for something that is not needed. Raised beds seem to be the answer to every type of planting these days and i don't know why ?

We've just moved into a new build and our "soil" if you could call it that is mostly builders rubble. We've decided on raised beds as we can at least put decent soil in them to grow a few bits and pieces.

sullivk wrote: »
    We've just moved into a new build and our "soil" if you could call it that is mostly builders rubble. We've decided on raised beds as we can at least put decent soil in them to grow a few bits and pieces.

I garden on the same conditions, I just choose plants that are for poor soil and drought tolerant. If you want to grow specific plants I think raised beds have their place but in general you are better off working with what you have long term.

Advertisement