Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are your easy enjoyable walks around Dublin?

Options
  • 21-05-2017 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭

Here are mine. Please add your own, I'm always looking for ideas. Ideal if public transport available at either end, but not essential.

1. Over Howth Head. Get the bus up to the Summit, have a coffee, then set off. We don't use the narrow cliff path anymore, but the wider one parallel to it. Much more pleasant, not so dangerous, and the views are similar. Late lunch in the Bloody Stream and DART home. You could go the opposite direction and get off the bus at Upper Cliff Road and walk towards the Summit aswell.

2. DART to Killiney, walk back up the Vico Road, Coliemore Road and into Dalkey. Lunch in the Club or Finnegans.

3. DART to Portmarnock, walk the coast road to Malahide. Lunch in Gibneys, DART home

4. Bus to Enniskerry, walk to Powerscourt and back. Lunch in the village.

5. Bus to Johnnie Foxes, walk the road past it and back. Lunch in the pub.

6. Bus to Sandymount, Marine Drive, walk through the park out to the Poolbeg Lighthouse and back. Lunch in Sandymount.

We do some others aswell, but those are our usual rambles. You can see that the grub plays a big part in the reward centre of my brain, and if using PT can have a drink too!

Now where are yours!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A good bit shorter than the ones you've described, but from the War Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge along the Liffey to Chapelizod is a favourite of mine.

Not sure of the pubs in Chappo but I'm sure there has to be at least one good one!

If you wanted more exercise you could continue on into the Phoenix Park and around the Furry Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    A good bit shorter than the ones you've described, but from the War Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge along the Liffey to Chapelizod is a favourite of mine.

Not sure of the pubs in Chappo but I'm sure there has to be at least one good one!

If you wanted more exercise you could continue on into the Phoenix Park and around the Furry Glen.

Thanks Heidi, I may be raving, but I think you guided me to Poolbeg Lighthouse some time ago when I enquired about it. Even if it was not you, it is a totally wonderful walk anyway.

I don't live too far from Chappo myself. I know it well, the Villager is a lovely pub. The Pheeno was my playground when I was little. And it still is. The walk up by the Garda HQ and by the the Hole in the Wall and back down Chesterfield is good too.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks Heidi, I may be raving, but I think you guided me to Poolbeg Lighthouse some time ago when I enquired about it. Even if it was not you, it is a totally wonderful walk anyway.

Thanks.

That would have been me alright! Glad to hear you love it as much as i do!

The path along the Liffey is my joint favourite walk in the city.

Have you been to Killiney Hill Park? Another wonderful place.

I look forward to getting more walking ideas from this thread..... good call!!!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That would have been me alright! Glad to hear you love it as much as i do!

The path along the Liffey is my joint favourite walk in the city.

Have you been to Killiney Hill Park? Another wonderful place.

I look forward to getting more walking ideas from this thread..... good call!!!

Yes have been to Killiney Hill. It is a bit awkward to get to on PT, so once was enough, although it is great and the views are spectacular.

Parking cars and going back for them after a long walk is a pain. That's why we use PT as much as possible. It's an adventure and you can see a lot more of an area from the upper deck of a bus too. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Run, Walk or cycle the grand canal from 12th lock pub into drumcondra road and back again for grub at the 12th lock. And maybe a cappuccino to go at ashtown, or phibsboro if needed.

For a more scenic walk, then go from Clonsilla station and head out the grand canal to leixlip or beyond and back again.

Train from Connolly will drop you at any of the stations mentioned above. 12th lock pub is 5 mins walk from castleknock station.

Muppet man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

3. DART to Portmarnock, walk the coast road to Malahide. Lunch in Gibneys, DART home
    Did this walk today actually! Didn't have Lunch in Gibney's (went for the Greenery instead). A very pleasant walk.

I also suggesting taking the DART to Greystones and walk back along the sea front, near the DART tracks and back to Bray for lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Run, Walk or cycle the grand canal from 12th lock pub into drumcondra road and back again for grub at the 12th lock. And maybe a cappuccino to go at ashtown, or phibsboro if needed.

For a more scenic walk, then go from Clonsilla station and head out the grand canal to leixlip or beyond and back again.

Train from Connolly will drop you at any of the stations mentioned above. 12th lock pub is 5 mins walk from castleknock station.

Muppet man

Do you mean the Royal Canal?

Muppet man

Sounds great. How did I not hear of this before you mentioned it!

Brilliant. Thanks.

So many parts of Dublin are hidden from those who don't know the areas. And I thought I knew Dublin!

ixoy wrote: »
    Did this walk today actually! Didn't have Lunch in Gibney's (went for the Greenery instead). A very pleasant walk.

I also suggesting taking the DART to Greystones and walk back along the sea front, near the DART tracks and back to Bray for lunch.

Well TBH since we are on Dublin City forum I didn't mention the wonderful absolutely fab Bray to Greystones (or vice versa) cliff walk. That's Wickla! Magic that is. But bring a sambo and a bottle of water to revive yourself half way!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Do you mean the Royal Canal?

D'uh... Yes sorry.... Royal canal... Thx

MM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I live beside the Phoenix Park and it's a joy to walk in.:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Walk from Bushy Park all the way through Dodder Valley Park to the weir at Firhouse. Can get a bite to eat at the cottage Tea Rooms beside Morton's.

Another gorgeous one I did yesterday was alongside the Bohernabreena Reservoirs. No grub in the immediate vicinity but my friend and I had a picnic packed which we thoroughly enjoyed :) We started at the car park just below Ballinascorney and went all the way to the far end near Glenasmole, then back.

It's mostly flat bar a small but sharp incline before the first reservoir. There's a longer incline to the second one but very manageable.

Walk from Bushy Park all the way through Dodder Valley Park to the weir at Firhouse. Can get a bite to eat at the cottage Tea Rooms beside Morton's.

Another gorgeous one I did yesterday was alongside the Bohernabreena Reservoirs. No grub in the immediate vicinity but my friend and I had a picnic packed which we thoroughly enjoyed :) We started at the car park just below Ballinascorney and went all the way to the far end near Glenasmole, then back.

It's mostly flat bar a small but sharp incline before the first reservoir. There's a longer incline to the second one but very manageable.

Thank you. Have done bits of the Dodder Valley walk. Some parts you have to get back on the road and re enter the park, but it is great I must say.

There seems to be a "waterworks walk" out in Bohernabreena at the reservoirs. This sounds great, thanks for the heads up.

Would this be where we would start off do you think. I am not sure of the area. There is a car park there afais too. Happy days. (I'll bring a picnic!)

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2589858,-6.3689791,3a,75y,199.77h,85.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5vctKgvYZwKlpbInsjDieA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Thank you. Have done bits of the Dodder Valley walk. Some parts you have to get back on the road and re enter the park, but it is great I must say.

There seems to be a "waterworks walk" out in Bohernabreena at the reservoirs. This sounds great, thanks for the heads up.

Would this be where we would start off do you think. I am not sure of the area. There is a car park there afais too. Happy days. (I'll bring a picnic!)

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2589858,-6.3689791,3a,75y,199.77h,85.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5vctKgvYZwKlpbInsjDieA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Don't leave valuables in the car there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Yep that's where we operated from yesterday. As pointed out though, don't leave your valuables in the car there (but then again that's just wise advice at any secluded parking spot to be fair)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Muppet man

An easy leg off this is to turn north at broombridge station, walk to the Ballyboggan road and into tolka valley park, you can then walk along the tolka river to Ashtown and rejoin the Royal canal.

its a gorgeous park, full of wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yes have been to Killiney Hill. It is a bit awkward to get to on PT, so once was enough, although it is great and the views are spectacular.

Parking cars and going back for them after a long walk is a pain. That's why we use PT as much as possible. It's an adventure and you can see a lot more of an area from the upper deck of a bus too. LOL.

I wouldn't agree that Killiney Hill is tricky by PT. Just get off Dart in Dalkey, walk through village and turn left up Dalkey Avenue (this is simplest direction but Google maps suggesting a slightly more complex one). It is all uphill (unsurprisingly) but the views from the top of Killiney Hill are stunning. About a 20 minute walk from the Train Station. If you get the 59 or 111 you are a bit closer to Dalkey Avenue.

Then down into the village via Vico Road, Sorrento Terrace and Coliemore Road.

Fish & Chips in the Magpie with a few pints of O'Brother The Chancer and you're laughing. Get some Gelato in Bel Gelato afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

DART to Raheny, across the road into St. Annes and do the circuit, out to bull island via the causeway from the eastern corner if you're feeling energetic. Coffee in Olive's at the Red Stables in the park itself, or the Cock and Bull in Raheny on your way back to the DART has savage grub.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    DART to Raheny, across the road into St. Annes and do the circuit, out to bull island via the causeway from the eastern corner if you're feeling energetic. Coffee in Olive's at the Red Stables in the park itself, or the Cock and Bull in Raheny on your way back to the DART has savage grub.

Thanks gerrowadat.

Haven't done that one in a long time. Cheers. In this weather I'd say it's fab.

Advertisement