Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punishment overtake

• 21-05-2017 8:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

I performed a punishment overtake to a taxi driver who was merging on the M50 today at the speed of 50 km/h as I was punishing him I have noticed that he was looking at his gps. Behind him there were approximately 20 cars pissed off so by overtaking him I think I woke him up and he picked up the pace. If you can fail the test for lack of progress then why is it acceptable to merge while doing 50 km/h on the M50, it happens all the time. So when someone merges on the m50 at such speeds do you overtake them in the same lane or you follow them until they merge at dangerous speeds and endanger yourself as this happens all the time I am on the m50.

Comments

Synthol wrote: »
    I performed a punishment overtake to a taxi driver who was merging on the M50 today at the speed of 50 km/h as I was punishing him I have noticed that he was looking at his gps. Behind him there were approximately 20 cars pissed off so by overtaking him I think I woke him up and he picked up the pace. If you can fail the test for lack of progress then why is it acceptable to merge while doing 50 km/h on the M50, it happens all the time. So when someone merges on the m50 at such speeds do you overtake them in the same lane or you follow them until they merge at dangerous speeds and endanger yourself as this happens all the time I am on the m50.

I've never heard of a punishment overtake in my life but it's sounds aggressive .

what I would say is your on a bike mate calm down. You piss off a car driver and they tip you it's going to end a whole lot worse for you.

You sound like a very aggressive driver going around "punishing" other drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

what's a punishment overtake

When you notice people joining the motorway at a lower speed and they are ahead of you, either slow down or move into the overtaking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

You do understand that your more likely to have a really bad outcome doing this than anyone else, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

what's a punishment overtake

Overtaking in the same lane while pressing the horn and pointing at the speedo and sometimes showing some hand signals about speed or other aspects of their driving. It works because it wakes them up most of the time. I think of it as a way of improving the safety of everyone. While I put myself at risk for a short amount of time it is still less risky than merging on the m50 at the speed of 50 km/h.

• Advertisement

When you notice people joining the motorway at a lower speed and they are ahead of you, either slow down or move into the overtaking lane.

Impossible as there is only one merging lane in most places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

What gives you the right to punish other road users? Is this not the job of the gardai?

jjpep wrote: »
    You do understand that your more likely to have a really bad outcome doing this than anyone else, right?

Absolutely, however it is still less risky than merging onto the road which has lorries and cars going twice the speed limit. Getting out in front of a lorry that is going 90 km/h while I am going 50 km/h is a recipe for disaster and survival changes are slim.

jjpep wrote: »

Absolutely, however it is still less risky than merging onto the road which has lorries and cars going twice the speed limit. Getting out in front of a lorry that is going 90 km/h while I am going 50 km/h is a recipe for disaster and survival changes are slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

For a minute there I had an image of you kneecapping him as you went past :eek:

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    What gives you the right to punish other road users? Is this not the job of the gardai?

Merging slowly is not enforced and Gardai are rarely seen on the M50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,903 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What are you looking for here?

You're completely in the wrong and endangering yourself and others knowingly.

Are you hoping to pass the evening justifying your behaviour?

I'm not interested in having that argument, am just curious.

Impossible as there is only one merging lane in most places.

Wow, you were merging too!!!!! , I thought you were on the motorway.

is this a joke?

What are you looking for here?

You're completely in the wrong and endangering yourself and others knowingly.

Are you hoping to pass the evening justifying your behaviour?

I'm not interested in having that argument, am just curious.

So merging on the m50 at 50 km/h and making lorries having to slam on the brakes is not dangerous? I overtook the electronic device user and merged at 100 km/h which is much safer.

Overtaking in the same lane while pressing the horn and pointing at the speedo and sometimes showing some hand signals about speed or other aspects of their driving. It works because it wakes them up most of the time. I think of it as a way of improving the safety of everyone. While I put myself at risk for a short amount of time it is still less risky than merging on the m50 at the speed of 50 km/h.

Your a clown mate a clown who shouldn't be on the road. It's only a matter of time before you get mowed over, if I was in the car and a lad on a bike did that to me I'd nearly be inclined to veer into them.

Who are you to be doing that, are you the law?

Wow, you were merging too!!!!! , I thought you were on the motorway.

is this a joke?

In the merging lane, merging to the M50

Goose81 wrote: »
    Your a clown mate a clown who shouldn't be on the road. It's only a matter of time before you get mowed over, if I was in the car and a lad on a bike did that to me I'd nearly be inclined to veer into them.

Excellent logic, couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

So when someone merges on the m50 at such speeds do you overtake them in the same lane or you follow them until they merge at dangerous speeds and endanger yourself as this happens all the time I am on the m50.

If you have issues merging at any speed on a bike you shouldn't be riding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I know it will create some jobs and all that, but I think its a bad idea. Way more traffic, more noise and compared to the lovely natural land that is currently there, it will be unsightly.

punishment Lmao

In the merging lane, merging to the M50

I completely understand now. I just didn't think anybody would think that was a good idea

I'm sure you made a more lasting impression on the 20 cars stuck behind the slow driver

How does making a dangerous situation more dangerous make any sense?

• Advertisement

The_Chap wrote: »
    If you have issues merging at any speed on a bike you shouldn't be riding

I don't have issues, I stopped beside the driver on the gps, showed him the speedo and rode away before he even noticed what happened, however the taxi driver was endangering everyone behind him by merging at 50 km/h.

I completely understand now. I just didn't think anybody would think that was a good idea

I'm sure you made a more lasting impression on the 20 cars stuck behind the slow driver

How does making a dangerous situation more dangerous make any sense?

I made it more safe for myself. I had 2 options
    Number 1: overtake the driver in the same lane.
    Number 2: follow him at 50 km/h and merge to the m50 and make lorries slam on the brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Coming onto the M50 at 50 kph is criminally slow but legally there is very little that can be done about it.

The minimum speed limit on the M50 is 50 kph which feels like a person is stopped when you are coming up behind such a person.

Never take your eyes off the road for a second.

Always have a look in your rear view mirror, The Swedes recommend every 20 seconds, so as to have knowledge of whats behind you at all times.

Always have a planning horizon of whats happening ahead of you as far as you can see, preferably 5 or six cars ahead, some cars I see late braking and being indecisive and hesitant are only observing the car in front of them, too little information and it does not allow for timely maneouvring to avoid being stuck up a slow coaches back while cleverer motorists get around him smoothly and safely.

Keep an eye out for rolling road blocks when two HGVs take up the inner 2 lanes trying to overtake the slower of the 2 and cannot succeed because both are limited to the same max speed and don't know it, or slow coaches pushing moderate speed people out into the outer lane to mix it with the fast boys.

As for motor bikes acting in any way aggressively with any other thing on the road, thats like bringing a plastic spoon to a gunfight, never mind the proverbial knife.

I made it more safe for myself. I had 2 options
    Number 1: overtake the driver in the same lane.
    Number 2: follow him at 50 km/h and merge to the m50 and make lorries slam on the brakes.

Other road users already on the motorway should move into the overtaking lane and allow slower moving cars to merge safely, so your concern should have been the traffic in your lane, not motorway traffic. If everyone was to do what they were supposed to be doing, there should never be any hard breaking on the motorway because of slow traffic merging. When people start playing by their own rules, like you did, this is what causes accidents

"punishment overtake"
    that's hilarious
    mad dangerous but hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Goose81 wrote: »

Excellent logic, couldn't agree more.

And here we have it..

OP - 2 wrongs don't make a right - and more often they lead to 3 wrongs, 4 wrongs etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I always thought it were bicycles and motorcycle that were the ones that got punishment passes.

Op be very careful doing what you done as its obvious even from what you say he was oblivious to the traffic build up and you for that matter.

Taxi plate stands out to me to give a wide berth as they are extremely unpredictable and can do anything so best stay well away.

Yes it can be frustrating to get stuck behind such a scenario but pass when safe and if you feel like it give a blip of the throttle as passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Other road users already on the motorway should move into the overtaking lane and allow slower moving cars to merge safely

On a side note - I thought this too (and do so) but apparently its down to the 'mergee' only to safely merge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,840 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Some car drivers buzz cyclists if they feel they're not close enough to the kerb or if they're not using a cycle lane. It's basically overtaking at speed and only leaving a few milimetres to scare the cyclist or worse. It's now a phrase "punishment pass".

Never seen or heard of a motorcyclist doing it to another road user. Till now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

I'd think of it as a way you could get yourself a few penalty points.

Advertisement