Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punishment overtake

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its up to those coming onto the motoway to merge safely.

Traffic already on the motorway does not have to facilitate but it is a good option as there is nothing worse then having gaps closed and the merger then having to stop which is extremely dangerous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Beeping the horn while alongside a driver who you already know is not paying attention is crazy stupid. I get why you done it, but it doesn't take away from the incredible risk you added to your own safety..

I see plenty of drivers like this all the time on the M50 and there is nearly always another option (even if it is doing nothing).

Its up to those coming onto the motoway to merge safely.

Traffic already on the motorway does not have to facilitate but it is a good option as there is nothing worse then having gaps closed and the merger then having to stop which is extremely dangerous.

With a name like that I was expecting you to announce you were another member of the punishment pass crew lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Goose81 wrote: »
    With a name like that I was expecting you to announce you were another member of the punishment pass crew lol

Nah best time for punishment is when they exit their cage ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I just fitted a DENALI SOUNDBOMB on my bike....I am going "PUNISHING" like a mofo tomorrow on the M50!!!

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I just fitted a DENALI SOUNDBOMB on my bike....I am going "PUNISHING" like a mofo tomorrow on the M50!!!

Are they big? Would it fit in a gixxer fairing
    I think that's a very smart thing to fit, good safety device imo

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

This is a real punishment overtake....

Thats an awful lot of work.....when a hefty motorcycle boot does an ample job!

Are they big? Would it fit in a gixxer fairing
    I think that's a very smart thing to fit, good safety device imo

They are a big unit in fairness, it could very well fit under a gixxer fairing. But to be sure buy the one that comes in two parts rather then one big unit like I got. Its the exact same but split for easier installation then it deffo will fit, just dont get the mini one they are brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Synthol wrote: »
    I performed a punishment overtake

Haha. That wasn't enough so you came home and started a punishment thread.

Only a matter of time for clowns like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'm not sure of the scenario here exactly but I would have overtaken as safely as I could while using the bikes main advantage over the rest of the traffic, blistering acceleration. I may also have continued on the merge lane when the taxi started merging and "undertake" him and merged further down, depending on how much road I had left.

What I wouldn't have done is, pointed at my speedo, made eye contact, given hand gesture, etc. What I would have done is, checked my mirrors, indicated, shoulder checked and floored it. Don't waste your time with road rage, you just look like a dick. Not sure how long you're on the bike but if 1 oblivious driver is causing this sort of reaction be prepared to spend most of your remaining days punishing other road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Haha. That wasn't enough so you came home and started a punishment thread.
    He came home, registered an account on Boards and then started a thread that paints bikers in a bad light. Disgruntled taxi driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

high likelihood he's the same fella who has had a few threads like this on different accounts like looking for a ktm 1290 as his first bike or duc 1299

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Did you whip his botty? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I made it more safe for myself. I had 2 options
    Number 1: overtake the driver in the same lane.
    Number 2: follow him at 50 km/h and merge to the m50 and make lorries slam on the brakes.

You had another and much better option. Slow down even more, let that fool merge (or crash) well ahead of you, and give yourself space to accelerate to a safe merging speed - not that that would take long on most bikes.

You have a big advantage over almost any car so why not use it to increase your safety instead of reducing it.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP all I ask is you carry a donor card. Carry on. Nothing wrong with a good beeping but the other stuff seems a bit like putting yourself in harms way for no good reason.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

OP all I ask is you carry a donor card. Carry on.

Was actually thinking the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Overtaking in the same lane while pressing the horn and pointing at the speedo and sometimes showing some hand signals about speed or other aspects of their driving. It works because it wakes them up most of the time. I think of it as a way of improving the safety of everyone. While I put myself at risk for a short amount of time it is still less risky than merging on the m50 at the speed of 50 km/h.

Should have mooned him too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

OP, your first post and the one explaining your behaviour honestly have me in laughing out loud here.

This thread cannot be serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

When I saw this thread I was half expecting the poster to have gotten all Mad Max on some driver.....dissapointed to say the least.....next time stick yer tongue out too.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

I'd be somewhat concerned that, having already established the drivers level of oblivion, you sounded your horn at him?
    Is there not a possibility that this may have startled the driver, leading to a possible twitch on the steering wheel?
    Even a small twitch and at slow speed could have had you off.
    Next time, possibly evaluate the situation and formulate a better overtaking manoeuvre, THEN and if safe to do so, give them a wake-up toot on your horn.
    Thank me later.....when you're NOT in A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

OP has to be trolling. If not, you need to calm down. If you carry on like that, you're eventually going to meet someone who is either crazier than you are and willing to hit your bike, someone who is not fully paying attention to your carry on and hits you by accident or someone who panics because of your carry on and hits your bike. In any of these scenarios, you will come out worse off.
    Your a clown mate a clown who shouldn't be on the road. It's only a matter of time before you get mowed over, if I was in the car and a lad on a bike did that to me I'd nearly be inclined to veer into them.

Who are you to be doing that, are you the law?

Not advisable and certainly shouldn't be encouraged. You are also not the law.
    In the eyes of the gardai, you would be the person who purposefully made contact with the bike and caused a collision (and on a road like the m50, you'd be talking about a multiple vehicle collision, in which the rider of the bike would probably be seriously injured, if not killed) and you would be held accountable. I'm not saying the OP's behaviour is acceptable but you're better off not getting yourself into that sort of mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

what's a punishment overtake

I thought it was cycling parlance.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Your a clown mate a clown who shouldn't be on the road. It's only a matter of time before you get mowed over, if I was in the car and a lad on a bike did that to me I'd nearly be inclined to veer into them.

Who are you to be doing that, are you the law?

jeez the irony

sounds like you're a pair of clowns who shouldn't be on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kawalski

Overtaking in the same lane while pressing the horn and pointing at the speedo and sometimes showing some hand signals about speed or other aspects of their driving. It works because it wakes them up most of the time. I think of it as a way of improving the safety of everyone. While I put myself at risk for a short amount of time it is still less risky than merging on the m50 at the speed of 50 km/h.

Wow! Sanctimonious much? Do you suppose said idiot gave you or your message much thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

This thread is hilarious. My hats off to you OP! One of the best troll posts ive seen in a while :D

I bet the driver is clearly sorry and wont do it again, you certainly softened his cough!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I had a little giggle yesterday merging on the M50, was thinking of the OP going ape shítÃand giving the punishment overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Can't wait til I'm out doing the food shop on Saturday... Going to punishment overtake the aul'ones in the fruit and veg isle of Tesco obstructing my safety as I try to merge into the choccy biscuit isle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

This new term "punishment overtake" is amazing.

I'm picturing you looking like Negan out of The Walking Dead. With Lucille in hand.

Advertisement