Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Trial channel4 9pm

• 21-05-2017 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watching? Its on for 5 nights I think.
    Hard to bear in mind it's all made up!
    They've gone to a lot of effort with the story line

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

yeah, watched it. They are doing a good drip feeding the information.

Don't know if I'll watch at 9 each night, but will watch the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm convinced it was not the husband but the other fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

He turned on airplane mode to save battery, but sat on the bench and played a game on his phone!!

Put him on the stand !
    Had to be innocent

Panthro wrote: »
    Put him on the stand !
    Had to be innocent

Short fuse, could hang himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They overdid it. Simon's reaction and performance on the stand was very disappointing, and it doesn't make sense that he'd respond like that or not have better answers to questions he was obviously going to be asked after supposedly being on bail for 11 months.

Have to say it's disappointing that they now seem to be intentionally setting him up as being the most likely murderer again after doing such a great job with Lewis' testimony and performance.

I thought he did alright.
    The prosecutor was trying to provoke a response but he was calm and collected.
    Roll on tomorrow night's show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought he did alright.
    The prosecutor was trying to provoke a response but he was calm and collected.
    Roll on tomorrow night's show!

He had 11 months and the best he can come up with for why he waited for 8 minutes between the 999 calls was basically "I think I have amnesia about it"

Maybe it's down to the editing and there was loads of questioning before it which caused him to be so flustered, but it's insane on his part that he'd actually use the term amnesia, as opposed to "I panicked" or "It was all just a blur"

I was just worried before tonight that they'd do something to intentionally swing the jury one way so they could reveal it happened the other way, and I think this is it. They're overplaying his reaction and intentionally making him seem poor, particularly compared to the boyfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I presume his weak performance on the stand was intentionally written/acted like that so it wouldn't swing the case too much into his favour. The producers/writers will be following the jury's discussions as they go along so they are tailoring the evidence and witness statements to maintain a balance between guilty and not guilty. There is no hard evidence that he committed the murder so if he delivered an assured performance on the stand it would remove the tension in the jury's deliberations as they would find him not guilty. The jury deliberations will be interesting, as while there have been a couple vocal with their preconceived ideas/judgments, the majority seem to be changing opinion after each testimony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Given what's at stake, it's conceivable that you'd become flummoxed & fail to lay out your account cogently under cross examination. I thought his amnesia response was far from satisfactory though.

For anyone enjoying the show, you should check out the eight-part documentary The Staircase, which was screened as part of the BBC's Storyville strand some time back. Absolutely compelling stuff from start to finish.

• Advertisement

And we're back!

Hard to see the jury agreeing on anything, impossible for a couple of them to stop their personal experiences clouding their judgment.

Watched this late due to the utd game. What's annoying me is three of the jurors have had experience of abuse.
    This would have come out at selection and they would have been excused.

Apart from that, with the complete lack of forensic evidence, ex boyfriend was spotted in the area with his phone location turned off, i could not say guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

The ex soldier jury member summed it up for me when he said he thinks the husband is guilty of being deluded, but not guilty of murder.
    I'd be looking more closely at the other fella.

Its on for 5 nights I think.

Tonight is the finale.

Then starting into The Staircase on YouTube linked to above :)

Find myself agreeing with the ex soldier

Well now!

They made it too obvious that it was him in the videos, by overly concentrating on Lewis being intense and aggravated while not showing the bad side of Simon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That Danny Mullins lad, when he said he was your man Skinner, he saw him in a back top but when he left the house he was in a blue one, I know he could easily have changed but it would have put serious doubt in my mind as to whether his testimony could be relied upon

Advertisement