Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Neutral Pronouns for Childrens Book

Options
  • 21-05-2017 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm hoping for some help regarding a project we are working on. We are writing a childrens fairy tale book with the main character as a fairy. We were going to have the charachter as a female lead but we are looking at the idea of it being gender neutral and using the pronouns such as they/their/them instead of gender pronouns.

The worry we have though is it could be confusing for a child between the age of 5-8 as its generally taught that they are plural.

Could we ask some advise? Are schools teaching gender neutral characters? Do you think it would be confusing for a child? Whats your personal opinion on a gender neutral fairy tale book?

Below is a sample script using they/their/them pronouns if that helps

"walked out of their home and as they turned looked back upon their door as to say goodbye as they knew their journey that they were about to embark on could mean that they may not return for a very long time"

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

GraMoore wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm hoping for some help regarding a project we are working on. We are writing a childrens fairy tale book with the main character as a fairy. We were going to have the charachter as a female lead but we are looking at the idea of it being gender neutral and using the pronouns such as they/there/them instead of gender pronouns.

The worry we have though is it could be confusing for a child between the age of 5-8 as its generally taught that they are plural.

Could we ask some advise? Are schools teaching gender neutral characters? Do you think it would be confusing for a child? Whats your personal opinion on a gender neutral fairy tale book?

Below is a sample script using they/their/them pronouns if that helps

"walked out of there home and as they turned looked back upon there door as to say goodbye as they knew there journey that they were about to embark on could mean that they may not return for a very long time"

Thanks in advance

*their

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GraMoore

Thanks amended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I understand people's right to use gender neutral pronouns but as they are generally so much in the minority I don't see the need for kids to be confused by them in a fairy tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GraMoore

Thanks Solerina, that's our initial thoughts as well! It's difficult in today's PC culture to understand exactly what you can and cant do without getting a huge backlash

Advertisement