Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant building opposite Spiddal beach

Options
  • 22-05-2017 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Anyone know if someone is doing something to the building beside Texaco opposite the beach in Spiddal?!
    I saw someone powerhosing parts of it the other week and pulling off bits of the faux thatch roof...

Would love to see something alive in that building.
    Fingers crossed for an amazing coffee shop or cafe/restaurant!!

Also, is the hotel 'Park Lodge' closed?!
    Was hoping to visit it to use as a potential venue but their website is not working and the phone no just rings out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

raemie10 wrote: »
    Anyone know if someone is doing something to the building beside Texaco opposite the beach in Spiddal?!
    I saw someone powerhosing parts of it the other week and pulling off bits of the faux thatch roof...

Would love to see something alive in that building.
    Fingers crossed for an amazing coffee shop or cafe/restaurant!!

A few years ago, there was a sign on it, that Joyces has bought it and would open it as a supermarket, then they bought Siopa An Phobail in Indreabhan, so i assume that was that for a Spideal Store.
    raemie10 wrote: »
    Also, is the hotel 'Park Lodge' closed?!
    Was hoping to visit it to use as a potential venue but their website is not working and the phone no just rings out!
    I saw what looked like a tour group in the drive way the other day, but the main buildings cannot be seen from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A few years ago, there was a sign on it, that Joyces has bought it and would open it as a supermarket, then they bought Siopa An Phobail in Indreabhan, so i assume that was that for a Spideal Store.

I saw what looked like a tour group in the drive way the other day, but the main buildings cannot be seen from the road.

Then the Texaco secured a Cost Cutter franchise & had a refit. Based on what happened in Inverin I doubt that Joyces would be a success in Spiddal

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

I asked the guy who was painting the building owned by Joyces and he said he was just making it look a bit better for summer but that there was talk of locals using it for something?!

Sure, who knows :)
    Such a fab location for a decent hostel with a café (with decent coffee!!)
    Wish I could have bought it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Discodog wrote: »
    Then the Texaco secured a Cost Cutter franchise & had a refit. Based on what happened in Inverin I doubt that Joyces would be a success in Spiddal

What happened in Inverin?

big b wrote: »
    What happened in Inverin?

I don't shop there but I know a lot of local people who preferred it when it was Supavalue.

• Advertisement

I don't shop there but I know a lot of local people who preferred it when it was Supavalue.

I shop there weekly, most of the staff from the SuperValu era are still there, and the shop has had a well needed revamp.

I shop there weekly, most of the staff from the SuperValu era are still there, and the shop has had a well needed revamp.

I am glad that you like it. I have been there a few times & been very unimpressed. It's bound to do well with the Post Office in the store. The thread is about what Joyce is going to do with the building, having bought it ages ago & it still looking derelict.

So far it's only been used for unsightly advertising hoardings trying to persuade people to drive further to get their petrol.

I am glad that you like it. I have been there a few times & been very unimpressed. It's bound to do well with the Post Office in the store.

What about the store makes you "very unimpressed", admittedly the forecourt parking is a disaster when the store is busy, but it fulfills most of the basic requirements of a small supermarket, the range of goods is not as good as knocknacarra, but it is a smaller store.
    The thread is about what Joyce is going to do with the building, having bought it ages ago & it still looking derelict.
    Actually the OP also asked of the Park Lodge hotel, so the thread is not exclusively about the building in Spideal.
    So far it's only been used for unsightly advertising hoardings trying to persuade people to drive further to get their petrol.

I moved to the Area in 2000, and i think it was already vacant then. What was it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I moved to the Area in 2000, and i think it was already vacant then. What was it before?

It was a pleasant pub, the Ceol na Mara

Advertisement