Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun dealer in kildare

Options
  • 22-05-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

as per title did anyone hear of a new gun shop open in kildare town.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I still miss Cahills in Naas. Great shop, not great staff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

skipking wrote:
    as per title did anyone hear of a new gun shop open in kildare town.

Martin Brown and Jon Burke had a lanch of their new shop in Kildare town last Saturday, haven't been there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cass wrote: »

OK anyone brave enough to go to their CS with this one??:p:D
    http://www.cilldarahunting.com/store/p9/UTAS_XTR-12.html

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I see they have CCI standards .22lr at €80 per 1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Ive had a look already and yes most probably I will

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

jb88 wrote: »
    Ive had a look already and yes most probably I will

I thought shotguns had to be limited to 3 shots, or are restricted licences different? I presume you wouldn't be shooting clays or pheasants with that thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

Gravelly wrote: »
    I thought shotguns had to be limited to 3 shots, or are restricted licences different? I presume you wouldn't be shooting clays or pheasants with that thing!

yes it would be for Target shotgun t&p 1 and Multi Target 1 are the main disciplines you can shoot with it in Ireland at the moment.

jb88 wrote: »
    yes it would be for Target shotgun t&p 1 and Multi Target 1 are the main disciplines you can shoot with it in Ireland at the moment.

Must look those up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I could do a sub lol. :D:D

• Advertisement

Is it the styling or magazine capacity makes that shotgun restricted ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Pistol grip, more than 3 shots, short barrel (under 24") and then the general "idon'tlikethelookofit" rule the AGS seem to apply.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

you wouldn't be shooting clays or pheasants with these either - never knew they were available in Ireland....expensive shooting!!

tunet-commando-shooting--z.jpg

http://www.cilldarahunting.com/store/p17/Tunet_Commando_Slugs.html

J.R. wrote: »

you wouldn't be shooting clays or pheasants with these either - never knew they were available in Ireland....expensive shooting!!

Over a Euro each! I suppose they'd be handy if you had a rhino or hippo infestation. Be fairly hard on the shoulder though.

During the height of the "troubles" back in the late 80's early 90's, i had no bother buying slug ammunition. They were not restricted in anyway, same as buying no.7 clay loads and most shops had them on the shelf. They were expensive, but i bought a few boxes out of curiosity and put them through a baikel i had.

I have shot clays[Skeet] with a SPAS12!:)..Nothing wrong with it,just different.I'd say you would be pretty bushed after humping that pig about a driven shoot all day.However ONE major thing in box loaders favour is simply the safety aspect.Mag out and slide back,utterly safe and unloaded.Mag seperate from the gun and it's nicked..It's a useless awkward single shot and hardly likely to have a replacement mag found for it in a hurry.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

J.R. wrote: »

I'll let you know how well they shoot next week.
    I'm using these for the Gallery Shotgun competitions over the weekend in Bisley Phoenix, shooting T&P1, Multi Target and 100y - 200y target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

gunny123 wrote: »
    During the height of the "troubles" back in the late 80's early 90's, i had no bother buying slug ammunition. They were not restricted in anyway, same as buying no.7 clay loads and most shops had them on the shelf. They were expensive, but i bought a few boxes out of curiosity and put them through a baikel i had.

Heard of a guy blowing a lovely new o/u to bits with a slug.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Heard of a guy blowing a lovely new o/u to bits with a slug.

I can imagine its possible. What i did when i bought them is to cut a shell open and see if the slug fitted through the choke. I believe guns made for slugs, the tactical pump and semi-auto shotguns etc, have heavy barrels with little choke. Another load i used to see was the sg or as the yankies call them 00buck. 9 .38 calibre lead balls in the shell. Never tried them as i did not really have any practical use for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think one of my clubmates has one of these ordered. Not sure if it's the exact same model but it's a magazine fed shotgun.

• Advertisement

On a (slightly) related note, has anyone in Ireland ever managed to licence one of those combination rifle/shotguns? A friend of mine is going to try to licence one for pest control on his farm, but neither of us have ever heard of anyone with one.

Yes, a chap i know is into classic (expensive) guns. He had a cape rifle licenced for a time before he traded it/sold it, so it can be done.

gunny123 wrote: »
    Yes, a chap i know is into classic (expensive) guns. He had a cape rifle licenced for a time before he traded it/sold it, so it can be done.

Possibly a dumbass question but do you need two licences for the one gun seeing as it is two different calibres?

I got a .357/.38 special and the licence came with just .357 written on it. I questioned if they could put the .38 special on the licence too as I might have difficulty buying ammo and was told that they can't do that.

If only one calibre is printed on the licence, how will they buy ammo for the other half of the gun?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Possibly a dumbass question but do you need two licences for the one gun seeing as it is two different calibres?

I got a .357/.38 special and the licence came with just .357 written on it. I questioned if they could put the .38 special on the licence too as I might have difficulty buying ammo and was told that they can't do that.

If only one calibre is printed on the licence, how will they buy ammo for the other barrel?

Interesting - this guy already has a .22 and a shotgun, so he already has a licence for both types of ammo, but I'm not sure that answers the question.

He seems to think he'll have no problem licensing it but I'm not so sure. I'm also of the opinion that you'd get sick of the novelty factor fairly quick and go back to separate guns.

Interesting - this guy already has a .22 and a shotgun, so he already has a licence for both types of ammo, but I'm not sure that answers the question.

He seems to think he'll have no problem licensing it but I'm not so sure. I'm also of the opinion that you'd get sick of the novelty factor fairly quick and go back to separate guns.

Are the calibres the same on the new gun he is thinking of buying? Because if they are, he might struggle to get it licenced seeing as he already has guns of that calibre for the same job.

Multi-barrel guns are, or were, hugely popular in Germany. I don't see the point of them myself. There is a section on an application form for combination guns, so they must enter the two separate calibres onto the licence.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Are the calibres the same on the new gun he is thinking of buying? Because if they are, he might struggle to get it licenced seeing as he already has guns of that calibre for the same job.

They are - his plan is to get rid of the .22 and keep the existing shotguns for clays, while licensing the combination gun for pest control.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thunderduck

was at the opening last saturday week, its a grand shop and the 3 lads that own it paddy, martin and jon are dead on to deal with

On a (slightly) related note, has anyone in Ireland ever managed to licence one of those combination rifle/shotguns? A friend of mine is going to try to licence one for pest control on his farm, but neither of us have ever heard of anyone with one.

Yup ! Have one licensed for the last ten years or so.Licensed as a rifle[pre 08]
    There is a lot of controversy as to how they should be licensed as both,a shotgun,or a rifle? As they aren't covered in any of the firearms acts to date,it is your Supers discretion as how he wants to license it.Either way,i have never had any problems buying ammo for either shotgun or rifle barrel on the one lic.

Novelty factor....Not really,it is proably THE most common hunting gun in Germany.Called a Drilling[German Drei Three].Mostly found in a side by side with an underslung big caliber rifle barrel. It is one of the most versitile guns for forest hunting. Load one barrel with birdshot,one heavier with buckshot for a fox and you have the rifle barrel for a boar or deer.Or just bird shot for winged game,or double slugs and rifle for driven boar. Or put a .22 rifle conversion in one shotgun barrel and have added variety again.
    Its main drawback ,is they are expensive,mostly hand made guns and the work is getting the left barrel and rifle barrel to shoot on point for slugs and rifle round.So they are pretty much zeroed to one rifle round and slug load.They are a compromise on all fronts,but do work well within their limitations.They were even issued as survival guns to the Luftwaffe in ww2 in a short run.
    The yokes we have here are mostly O/U rifle combos that don't have those problems.They are good forage or tractor cab guns.Good for a flake at a pheasent or a rabbit at longer rangewith the rifle when you are out and about.
    Only drawback I found with mine[Savage] is their triggers can be barn latch releases,they are non adjustable and to stripand rebuild the mechanism,you would want to have three hands.

• Advertisement

Yup ! Have one licensed for the last ten years or so.Licensed as a rifle[pre 08]
    There is a lot of controversy as to how they should be licensed as both,a shotgun,or a rifle? As they aren't covered in any of the firearms acts to date,it is your Supers discretion as how he wants to license it.Either way,i have never had any problems buying ammo for either shotgun or rifle barrel on the one lic.

Thanks for that. Do you just use it for pest control? Is it unwieldy?

Advertisement