Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun dealer in kildare

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

clivej wrote: »
    I'll let you know how well they shoot next week.
    I'm using these for......100y - 200y target.

Clive

Would slugs in a shotgun be accurate out to 200 yards?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Gravelly wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Do you just use it for pest control? Is it unwieldy?

Foraging gun.IE take it for a walk and use for whatever fur &feather might cross your path. [20ga over a 22 magnum].no,handles well enough for running/flying shots.Savage made it and even though it is about 50 plus years old the rifle barrel is super accurate and the 20GA is full choke.Just the trigger is awful..cant have everything I guess.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

J.R. wrote: »
    Clive

Would slugs in a shotgun be accurate out to 200 yards?
    You will be hitting a normal room door sized target at 200 yards,if you are good with them.Hickcock 45 has a video on YT on this Depending on type of slug and whether you are putting them out a rifled barrel,I'd say the normal max for most is 80 to 100 yards.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Heard of a guy blowing a lovely new o/u to bits with a slug.

Must have been more to the story than is being told.Slugs will work,at least the old Rottweil Brennecke will right into full choke. Shot hundreds of them out of a 1300 Winchester full choke with no bother when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Must have been more to the story than is being told.Slugs will work,at least the old Rottweil Brennecke will right into full choke. Shot hundreds of them out of a 1300 Winchester full choke with no bother when I was younger.

No idea what he used, Griz - was about 10/12 years ago, the OU was many grands worth, by what I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

I never tried the Rottweils, the eley ones in a white plastic case were the ones i had. They seemed a bit anemic power wise, very light recoil. Eley claimed 1,700 ft/lbs so i suppose they are deer legal. I remember wondering what sort of power they'd have out of a 3"magnum.

Interestingly i know some states in America only allow shotguns and slugs for deer hunting, no rifles.

Ah the old Eleys..:p Why they even bothered making them, it really was a game load with a slug sitting in the shotshell cup but it was all we had at the time,and they worked.
    With slugs,it is a different ball game,you are going back to the days of the musket [in accruacy terms from a smooth bore] and massive big bore BP game rifles of the late 19th century where actual size and weight of your bullet made up for lack of power. And that is really what a shotgun slug is,it's a 120 year old design bullet that first made a debut in the still common BP big bore era.It's subsonic and dwadles along to the target where it's 1oz load delivers its mass into a deer or boar and knocks them.
    It has been modernised alot,what with sabots like the French Sauvestre,or rifled shot gun tubes[Hardly a shotgun anymore] or slug chokes]But its concept is still the same mass rather than speed.

Oddly in those US states that only allow slugs,they have the most hunting accidents too... However,be as it may there are occasions and places that in Ireland they could be used more safely than a rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I have seen rifled chokes for shotguns, which begs the question, when does it stop being a shotgun and become a rifle under the law ? A lad i know had a Holland and Holland paradox gun, i must ask him how it was licenced.

A H&H paradox..That is a rare beast indeed. Slug chokes..Do they work at all?no experiance of them,but I can see how giving your slug all of 3ins spin is going to boost accruacy?? Anyone used one?Be intrested to hear first hand experiance..
    The irony would be you would be licensing a 0.73 caliber rifle!! A tad bit bigger than a 50 cal and one trick to use if you are ever talking to "experts" to find out are they smart enough to do some quick maths or know the gauge .I hear in one case here the previous Garda "expert" flunked this basic test in a case.
    Anyhoo,I would ASSume for it to become a rifle it would have to be well over half or 3/4 worth of barrel length would need to be properly rifled to qualify?

Advertisement