Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomatoes how many plants per grow bag ?

Options
  • 22-05-2017 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi I've planted about 10 plants per grow bag - 5 on either side. Is this okay or too much per bag. How often should I feed ? what else do I need to do? (first time growing them) Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not much experience of growing tomatoes but that sounds like a heck of a lot, I would have said about 3 or 4 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

It might depend on the variety you have planted but I would say three as well - in fact I remember getting some grow bags that had three holes indicated by a dotted line to show where to cut into them and put plant.
    Once they really start growing the plants and their roots need quite a bit of space; if too crowded it might be difficult to keep them adequately watered.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I've never had more than 3 in one grow bag, and I actually think that is tight.

I must admit, I grow tomatoes in large pots now - they do much better than the grow bags...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I always plant 3 per bag

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

thks for replies - I will change to 3 per bag.
    what other tips do I need to grow them ? how often should I feed them ? etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

This is a good link - has video on pinching out the tips

Feed every two weeks

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/tomatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

harry999 wrote: »
    thks for replies - I will change to 3 per bag.
    what other tips do I need to grow them ? how often should I feed them ? etc

Feed them once a week with tomato food when they start flowering..

Advertisement