Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappeared photos panic

Options
  • 22-05-2017 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Panic mode enabled!

Cut and paste 700 holiday snaps from wife's galaxy s6 to my win 10 laptop using USB.

When it was in a folder I selected all and cut and paste them onto a holiday folder. I was distracted with TV at the same time and noticed the folder disappeared as did the images. Undo brought me nothing and they didn't go to the recycle bin.

I have used s recovery software on the phone but can only find them thumbnails of the original images.

I have tried software on the PC but as the pics weren't deleted its not showing up anything.

Any help appreciated. And I never cut and paste. I always copy and make sure it's all OK before deleting. Just a lapse in concentration.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

brightkane wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Panic mode enabled!

Cut and paste 700 holiday snaps from wife's galaxy s6 to my win 10 laptop using USB.

When it was in a folder I selected all and cut and paste them onto a holiday folder. I was distracted with TV at the same time and noticed the folder disappeared as did the images. Undo brought me nothing and they didn't go to the recycle bin.

I have used s recovery software on the phone but can only find them thumbnails of the original images.

I have tried software on the PC but as the pics weren't deleted its not showing up anything.

Any help appreciated. And I never cut and paste. I always copy and make sure it's all OK before deleting. Just a lapse in concentration.

What OS are you using.
    Try looking under pictures/photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

What OS are you using.
    Try looking under pictures/photos.

Win 10. Tried that and also I know the start of the file names are 201705 so tried searching for them and nadda. I am baffled .

Thanks for reply BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Any chance she was signed up to Google Drive or Dropbox?

If so you might be lucky & they synced to the cloud

frash wrote: »
    Any chance she was signed up to Google Drive or Dropbox?

If so you might be lucky & they synced to the cloud

Unfortunately not. Wife's phone and she hadn't enabled cloud. At a complete loss. Have recovered deleted pics before with software but there are no where to be found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Try reconnecting the phone and checking the recycle bin while its connected.

• Advertisement

No joy - am at a complete loss at this stage

thanks for the assistance though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Have you told your wife yet?

frash wrote: »
    Have you told your wife yet?

yes and that will be a post for personal issues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Apologies if you've already done this, but have you run recuva on both the phone and the PC to find these?

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

deffo done the pc, i am doing it again though, as i have tried so many at this stage i am losing my mind,

• Advertisement

me_irl wrote: »
    Apologies if you've already done this, but have you run recuva on both the phone and the PC to find these?

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

recuva wont work on the phone as it doesnt show up as a mounted drive with an assigned letter unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Have you checked Google photos?
    Not just assumed it wasn't turned on. Go to Google photos and check.

bren2002 wrote: »
    Have you checked Google photos?
    Not just assumed it wasn't turned on. Go to Google photos and check.

yeah double checked there and its empty

currently trying fonepaw software

will have to root i am guessing, i will try this one thats running first and then go down the rooting road.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,085 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can you select ''wife'' and then click delete .

Can you select ''wife'' and then click delete .

Tried that it it says she's currently in use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

brightkane wrote: »
    will have to root i am guessing, i will try this one thats running first and then go down the rooting road.

Not with stock android. Just swipe down from the top when it's connected to a PC and select USB Mass Storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The joys of MTP.

Have had this happen too. Use ES to transfer them over FTP now to prevent this crap.

really thought phonepaw was going to get it as it recovered pics that were taken last year and already backed up. no dice, still only thumnails.

it deffo wont mount as a drive for recuva, its a galaxy s6, seems to be a known issue

• Advertisement

its so strange, it has every file up to the date we went on holidays and every file when we got back.

The files I cut and pasted from the phone onto the pc and then disappeared as nowhere to be seen on the phone from phonepaw recovery, just prior and post pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not just the S6. My LeEco has the exact same behavior. Its MTP, the protocol that android uses, which is horrible obsolete but still used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yeah, I think people really need to be pressed to use an auto sync service. Can't help but feel like you're slapping someone when telling them after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭pah

Any luck with this?

I would try a NANDroid backup with TWRP which you can then parse with a digital forensics tool such as Autopsy.

nadda, ur talking a bit of dutch to me there!

i did manage to install twrp but i cant backup as the s6 doesnt have an sd card and there is no space on the device to save it to.

i also downloaded autospy, but no good without backup i would say.

cheers for suggestions

Advertisement