Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free worldwide roaming (via any wifi connection)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cavanman..

eir WiFi Calling offer explained

What is eir WiFi Calling?
    eir WiFi Calling lets you use your smartphone to call and text over any WiFi connection so you can now get even better mobile coverage anywhere in Ireland. Better still, you don’t need any additional app for this exclusive new service.
    Why do Meteor customers have access to eir WiFi Calling?
    As Meteor is part of the eir family, you can now enjoy new WiFi Calling, exclusively from eir on selected smartphones. Our way of saying thanks for being with Meteor!
    Can I avail of eir WiFi Calling?
    New and Existing Meteor customers on an eligible Meteor plan with an enabled phone can avail of eir WiFi Calling.
    eir WiFi Calling enabled phones and plans.
    If you have one of the mobile phones listed below, you can use eir WiFi Calling straight away if you are on an eligible Meteor plan. We’re actively adding more phones to our list of supported devices – Customers on devices which become eligible will be contacted directly
    Android – Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge and S8 all support WiFi Calling.
    IOS – Apple IPhone 5C and above including IPhone SE all support WiFi Calling.
    All Meteor plans currently being sold can avail of WiFi Calling – both New and Existing Customers can avail of the service
    • SIM Only Lite
    • SIM Only Regular 4G
    • SIM Only Super 4G
    • Smartphone Lite
    • Smartphone Regular 4G
    • Smartphone Super 4G
    • Smartphone Super Deluxe 4G
    • SIMO Regular Extra 10GB 4G
    • SIMO Super Deluxe Extra 30GB 4G
    • SIMO Super Extra 15GB 4G
    • SIM Only Regular Extra 4G
    • SIM Only Super Deluxe Extra 4G
    • SIM Only Super Extra 4G
    • Smartphone Regular Extra 4G
    • Smartphone Super Deluxe Extra 4G
    • Smartphone Super Extra 4G
    What are the benefits of using WiFi Calling?
    • WiFi Calling allows you to use your mobile phone through any WiFi Connection.
    • Make calls and send texts anywhere in the world for same price you pay at home.
    • You don’t need any additional apps for this new service.
    • All on your existing handset at no extra charge.
    How do I enable WiFi Calling?
    Click here for a step by step guide on how to enable WiFi Calling on your device. Quick and simple, you will be up and running right away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you're on wifi why would you want to call/text someone using the bog standard phone functionality?

facetime
    iMessage
    hangouts
    allo
    duo
    telegram
    signal
    messenger
    viber

the telco's here need to realise they're practically dumb data pipes.

What if you start a call on wifi calling, walk away from the access point and fall back on to your phone's connection do you get charged? does the call drop?

No doubt this feature will be handy for people in bad reception areas but have a decent broadband connection but other than that I don't see it being all that useful whilst being away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

if you're on wifi why would you want to call/text someone using the bog standard phone functionality?

facetime
    allo
    duo
    telegram
    signal
    messenger
    viber

the telco's here need to realise they're practically dumb data pipes.

What if you start a call on wifi calling, walk away from the access point and fall back on to your phone's connection do you get charged? does the call drop?

No doubt this feature will be handy for people in bad reception areas but have a decent broadband connection but other than that I don't see it being all that useful whilst being away.

having experimented with it on a few different networks and walking around the call seems to drop when you walk out of wifi range. the call doesnt end immediately but nothing can be heard from either end and i found either i or the other person hangs up. Handy if you have wifi at home but poor signal, but it doesnt seem to switch from one to the other during a call

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

So they've invented Skype.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Fake News!

• Advertisement

Thought it'd be handy to make a call home to someone who doesn't use a VOIP app!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

News Alert: Eir and Meteor haven't heard of What's App, Viber, Facetime, Jelly etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

cavanman.. wrote: »
    Thought it'd be handy to make a call home to someone who doesn't use a VOIP app!?

It's called Skype, it's been around the last 15 years or so.

This is more codology from the company formerly known as Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I'm using it in China to call my parents etc on their phone. It's better than Skype as you can call any phone

It's called Skype, it's been around the last 15 years or so.

This is more codology from the company formerly known as Eircom.
    it's actually not more codology from Eircom, WiFi calling is a feature telco's are rolling out around the world. It's main use if to allow access to their network in poor connection areas. It's not a "free calls" type of service.

anyone who can access WiFi calling, needs a fairly high end Android or iPhone so anyone that has one of those and not use some form of VOIP app is probably quite slim seeing as VOIP comes built into iOS and probably Android but I'm less familiar with Android built-in services

• Advertisement

snowflaker wrote: »
    I'm using it in China to call my parents etc on their phone. It's better than Skype as you can call any phone

Thank you, I think that point was getting lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Virgin Media have a similar service that allows you to use your home phone number and minutes via your mobile. It's absolutely brilliant when you're roaming, especially outside the EU.

This new service will sit alongside your Viber or WhatsApp, not replace it. Seems like a good idea to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

what if you want to make restaurant reservations or get a taxi ?

or ring anyone who isn't one of your mates ?

I find it great. Saving me money too!

donegal. wrote: »
    what if you want to make restaurant reservations or get a taxi ?

or ring anyone who isn't one of your mates ?

use OpenTable or MyTaxi/Uber/Lyft.

Recently I've looked at my phone bills and they and there was one month in the last 6 months where I used more than 10 minutes of call time, that was the month I rang Virgin Media to update billing details. Every other month has been last than 5 minutes call time in the billing period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

To be fair to them it is handy and it isn't what Virgin or others are doing. It's an open service that's can be implemented on iOS and android devices without much fuss. No apps are needed at all.

If you've an iPhone for example, you just enable it and your meteor or eir mobile number is available to use via any wifi connection.

Cuts issues with bad indoor coverage and also reduces battery waste enormously. I'm getting much longer battery life since I switched it on.

Skype, Facetime etc etc don't give you your actual mobile line to use anywhere. This does.

Basically this is just the kind of thing you can do as Eir and other networks are moving over to VoIP core networks where voice is just an application.

Same is happening bit by bit in the landline system. It's no longer using digital circuit switching once you go a few levels away from your local exchange. So fairly soon, you should be able to just SIP connect to your local exchange. They've VoIP gear already rolled out in every efibre modem. Once they're ready to roll, you just plug your phone into the jack on the back. Or use a VoIP phone or an android phone that has VoIP etc etc

You're just seeing the end of the classic digitial "TDM switching system" technology that is what voice (POTS, PSTN, ISDN & GSM/3G voice) has run on since the late 70s/early 80s and telephony pushing into being just another service running on IP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Seems like Eir need to switch this function on by handset type!

So if you have a handset that they do not sell they this feature may never come to your phone.

Also some debate over whether they also support unlocked phones of types they have activated it on too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I recently went to Romania an EU country and EIR couldn't even get my Data roaming there working there. I often travel outside of the EU and I just buy Skype credit for €4.99 via the App store which I use primarily for calling my parents landline as they are too old to use a smart phone. Everyone else with a smart phone I can use messenger, whats app, viber etc. I just get a local simcard with data plan when I arrive into the country.

I honestly wouldn't trust this or use it, seems like a way for Eir or Meteor to charge €2.99/minute when you think your using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I have a sim free iPhone 5S and it works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Do u have to enable this on your phone? I'm with eir/meteor and we've crap reception in the house.. this would be a godsend. I've an S6/S7

• Advertisement

I wrote a fairly dismissive post here earlier but curiosity got the better of me and when I figured it out and experiment I have discovered this to be a brilliant feature.

At the moment this seems to only be available to EIR and Meteor Bill Pay customers with certain packages on high end smart phones, Samsung S6/S6 Edge, Samsung S7/S7 Edge and the Samsung S8/S8 Edge and all iPhones from iPhone 5s and above provided they are running on the latest version of iOS 10.3 or above.

For it to work you must enable it in settings of your device.

https://meteor.ie/eirwificalling/?linkid=Meteor-hp-banner4-eirwificalling-100517-track

https://www.eir.ie/wificalling/

So basically how it works is these high end smart phones switch your voice traffic into VOIP and the call is send out over the internet, the phone itself handles the changeover using the native phone app like you would normally.

I'm on an unlimited EIR package myself and using this I could be in a hotel room in Singapore and connect to the wifi, my carrier will then change to eir wifi call so I know which network I'm on and I can enjoy my mobile as if I was at home in Ireland, with unlimited calls and texts as per my mobile plan at home. Similarly if I'm on the A380 flying over and I had wifi onboard then I can call also. Basically this allows your wifi to replace your mobile mast which normally serves you.

It is limited to wifi, but you could carry a cheap android phone for a foreign sim card and connect up via hotspot if you were out and about and needed to call Ireland for some reason also.

It is quiet a game changer and I won't need to buy Skype credit anymore as this will allow me to call Ireland as per my plan whenever I need to.

This also allows incoming calls so it could eradicate those expensive roaming charges. Switch your phone to flight mode to disable the GSM whilst your out and about. Similarly if your in house with a weak signal this could really help things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Doltanian wrote: »
    I wrote a fairly dismissive post here earlier but curiosity got the better of me and when I figured it out and experiment I have discovered this to be a brilliant feature.

At the moment this seems to only be available to EIR and Meteor Bill Pay customers with certain packages on high end smart phones, Samsung S6/S6 Edge, Samsung S7/S7 Edge and the Samsung S8/S8 Edge and all iPhones from iPhone 5s and above provided they are running on the latest version of iOS 10.3 or above.

For it to work you must enable it in settings of your device.

https://meteor.ie/eirwificalling/?linkid=Meteor-hp-banner4-eirwificalling-100517-track

https://www.eir.ie/wificalling/

So basically how it works is these high end smart phones switch your voice traffic into VOIP and the call is send out over the internet, the phone itself handles the changeover using the native phone app like you would normally.

I'm on an unlimited EIR package myself and using this I could be in a hotel room in Singapore and connect to the wifi, my carrier will then change to eir wifi call so I know which network I'm on and I can enjoy my mobile as if I was at home in Ireland, with unlimited calls and texts as per my mobile plan at home. Similarly if I'm on the A380 flying over and I had wifi onboard then I can call also. Basically this allows your wifi to replace your mobile mast which normally serves you.

It is limited to wifi, but you could carry a cheap android phone for a foreign sim card and connect up via hotspot if you were out and about and needed to call Ireland for some reason also.

It is quiet a game changer and I won't need to buy Skype credit anymore as this will allow me to call Ireland as per my plan whenever I need to.

This also allows incoming calls so it could eradicate those expensive roaming charges. Switch your phone to flight mode to disable the GSM whilst your out and about. Similarly if your in house with a weak signal this could really help things out.

When is Vodafone getting this? They seem to have it in UK

I wasn't understanding the criticism- glad people are coming around

unklerosco wrote: »
    Do u have to enable this on your phone? I'm with eir/meteor and we've crap reception in the house.. this would be a godsend. I've an S6/S7

Yep, go into phone>phone settings> scroll to the bottom> wifi calling to on. I think you have to give meteor/eir a buzz to let them know you want to do it and then restart your phone and it should work :)

iPhone just open Settings and find Phone.
    You'll see WiFi Calling. Toggle the switch on. You'll get a branded up T&C's page from Eir. Accept and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This definitely sounds useful and very easy to use, I guess the only concern is if you lose wifi coverage, which shouldn't be too often?

I have an S7 Active, it's an AT&T USA exclusive, it's got "Wifi calling" in the settings menu with the following blurb:
    wifi calling lets you make and receive calls over wifi with your at&t accoumt. when you use wifi calling, information about the country where the wifi connection is made will be sent to your carrier. Learn more about wifi calling (link).

GET STARTED

When I click get started, I get an error saying Wifi Calling activation not successful, try again later :(

Am I doing something wrong here I wonder, or might it be because it's an AT&T phone I wonder?

1. I assume your home network is meteor?

2. Is it on the list of authorised phones?

I'm with Eir on this plan: https://business.eir.ie/product/sim-only-plan/

My phone, the S7 active, isn't listed above, which is understandable as it's only available in the US through AT&T so eir or meteor would never have stocked it, nor any other carrier in Ireland, UK or Europe, but it's sister phones, the S7 and S7 edge are and I believe they would be using very similar set ups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I got a text from Meteor last week about this.
    I have an S6 and updated to android 7 but the wifi calling setting isn't available.
    My S6 is a unlocked UK device would that make any difference?

• Advertisement

I was on to EIR live chat and they said "I am sorry, only if you purchase a handset from eir, you will be able to use Wifi calling."

Has anyone been able to use this on a handset they bought elsewhere and are using on Meteor/Eir??

I phoned another guy at EIR and he said he thinks the issue is my handset, that it's S7 active and exclusive only to AT&T in the USA. He said the person on live chat was wrong and that you can use any supported device no matter where you buy it.

Looks like it's going to be a little more complicated for me so ;(

cormie wrote: »
    I phoned another guy at EIR and he said he thinks the issue is my handset, that it's S7 active and exclusive only to AT&T in the USA. He said the person on live chat was wrong and that you can use any supported device no matter where you buy it.

Looks like it's going to be a little more complicated for me so ;(

The setting appears to be on the phones own software, so i would imagine if you had the standard phone and turned on the setting it should work once the network supports it... but with that particular model i dont have a clue :o

iPhone 7 Plus here bought sim free from Apple and it works here.

Cormie I'd say your issue is your S7 Active is using a custom AT&T version of Android. When you try turn on WiFi calling it's trying to call home to AT&T for some reason and it's failing as it's not seeing you're an active AT&T customer.

I think that might be it alright :( The phone seem to be AT&T customised alright, even when I go to ABOUT DEVICE > SOFTWARE UPDATE it says AT&T Software Update in the heading of the next screen and it asks "Check the AT&T server for new software update".

Could probably wipe it and put another ROM on, but really not keen on doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

When is Vodafone getting this? They seem to have it in UK

Three also have it in the UK, as well as an app for older/less fancy phones to use the service, but apparently they're 2 different companies, despite the same name, the same owners, the same logo, the same adverts, etc etc

Long story short, not for Ireland

• Advertisement

Three also have it in the UK, as well as an app for older/less fancy phones to use the service, but apparently they're 2 different companies, despite the same name, the same owners, the same logo, the same adverts, etc etc

Long story short, not for Ireland

The general rule for Ireland is half the service and double the price. Eir and Meteor launching this is probably aimed at winning more market share compared to Vodafone's and Three's dominant positions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

If you can do it at home then yes you can once your on wifi calling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

ok so I was enabling this on my firewall and It seems like this wifi calling sets up a VPN connection from your phone to the eir network. So from anywhere in the world, if you have this enabled you breakout onto the voice network in Ireland on the Eir network, that explains the local Irish plan being charged even if your abroad.

My question is, is it only voice and text data sent via the VPN tunnel.. does your internet browsing and email and basically any internet usage on your phone go through the tunnel to Eir ????

It uses your allowance so only calls and texts to Ireland within your bundle.

• Advertisement

It just provides a VoIP connection over WiFi to Eir's core switching system. Calls work and are charged exactly as if you were using your phone in Ireland.

If you are abroad however, you would need to turn roaming off to avoid jumping onto a local mobile network if the WiFi is down/weak.

Also, beware that the quality of the calls (while usually good) depends on the quality of the local wifi and broadband that you're using. In some hotels and similar, the service may not work at all due to deliberate port blocking of VoIP services to try and push people over to crazy expensive hotel phones and in other circumstances you may just be on really bad wifi or broadband.

Advertisement