Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash photography - on the go

• 22-05-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I've been dipping in and out of photography for a few years now, on a self-taught amateur level, and while I have a decent handle on the basics, I always get caught out with flash photography. I need practice (and a decent flash -currently have a Sigma) but what I'm really interested in is getting my head around is off camera flash.

I'd love to have a fairly mobile set up that I could take from A to B, where I could do some portrait/family work without having the need for a power station nearby. I think I'd rather work with constant light, rather than flash, but that's probably due to my lack of flash experience.

My question is - is there a mobile setup anyone could suggest, that might suit?

I've tried researching it but the information I find is either too detailed and complicated, or just an effort to sell me something I don't know if I need.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As a cheap start a pair of Yongnuos (one master one slave) and a light tripod (optional) will get you started.

Load up on decent AA rechargeables (such as Eneloops) and you're away in a hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭TheBigKahuna

That sounds like a good place to start. Never heard of eneloops - are they rechargeable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

That sounds like a good place to start. Never heard of eneloops - are they rechargeable?

Yes, and very good ones at that. They come in a verity of power ratings but generally the higher the mAh the better as they will last longer when using them in the flash. You can use standard AA in flashes but you will go through them pretty fast so its cheaper in the long run to buy some decent rechargeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Thanks Georgefalls, they look like the deal. I'll try those Yongnuos out, and get practicing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

You can buy a 24" by 24" softbox & adapter which you can use with your flashgun on a lightstand. You will need a flash trigger and receiver for remote operation.
    Softbox is roughly €50, lightstand €50 and trigger and receiver approx €20 which will allow you set up a simple studio anywhere.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Godox-S-Type-Bracket-Bowens-S-Mount-Holder-40x40-cm-Portable-Folding-softbox-/112375858640?hash=item1a2a1f85d0:g:bKgAAOSwRUhY9v7F

That's good info, definitely thinking softbox now.

This is all good advice, this kind of hands on, practical info is hard to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I have three yongnuo flashes (and a Pentax flash that I use as a master for wireless triggering) the yongnuo flashes I have added specific for Pentax use, and they make them specific to be controlled by different brands of masters, or generically.
    They work well.
    With some light stands, white umbrellas, octagonal and rectangular soft boxes that can double as reflective umbrellas, I have a lot of versatility.
    The yongnuo flashes will even do fancy stuff like trailing curtain sync and hss... and there inexpensive compared to the brand-name without sacrificing quality it seems. (~€70 for each yongnuo vs. €300 for a brand-name that will communicate with your camera)
    The on-camera flash points up with little white reflector to put lights into the eyes when doing portraits.

Stands can be had €20-30 each, flashes €70 each, soft boxes €15-20 each, brollies 2 for a tenner. So €200 should set you up with one on-camera, one off, with stand and soft box and umbrellas (opaque white and reflective silver) as well as remote wireless flash triggering, communication with the auto exposure system in your camera, and adjustable power...
    Learning how to use it right will be the hardest part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Strobist 101 is a good source to read up on it. Read through it, practice, and read through it again.
    BTW there's also 102 and 103 which gets more 'adventurous' but 101 will sort you with any questions on the basics.

In order, if cash was a problem, I'd be building in more or less along the following lines

Flash (Obviously!!) preferably 2 and here's probably nothing wrong with your sigma.
    Triggers
    White Umbrella
    Stands
    Softbox

After that it's all about other accessories - grids, snoots etc, maybe more powerful flashes and battery packs, different softboxes and so on. Essentially though all you need to get started is the flash and a trigger.

• Advertisement

Super stuff, I'm writing all this down and doing my research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Has anyone pointed you towards The Strobist yet? You might find it useful as a first stop for most of your setup queries.
    I seldom use lights but when I have to I refresh my knowledge base here.

http://strobist.blogspot.ie/2006/03/lighting-101.html

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

It was mentioned, yes, I haven't had the chance to look at it yet but it seems to be good resource form what's been said.

Advertisement