Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cord blood stem cellS

Options
  • 22-05-2017 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello Everybody,

I am pregnant and I would like to store the cord blood stem cells but as far I can see there is no company offering this service anymore.

Does any of you did it recently or know a company that offers this service.

I live in Cork

Thanks

Lidia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think Medicare provide the kits and store the stem cells for you but you may have trouble finding an obstetrician who will actually do the procedure for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lidlid

Hello January,

In the website medicarebiohealth there is the note below:

Medicare Bio Health have ceased our cord blood service as of the 30th of June 2016.

This is due to the closure of the Mount Carmel Hospital in 2014, Irelands only private maternity hospital and due to the insufficient support from the HSE hospitals to provide for the service.

The cessation of our cord blood service will not have any effect on the storage of your cord blood sample. Our existing clients can rest assured that their child’s cord blood stem cells remain stored with Future Health Biobank in the UK. Medicare Health & Living Ltd remains fully operational and will be available to assist with any queries you may have.

For my understanding this means that they are note offering the service anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Unfortunately you will find it virtually impossible to do in Ireland. Even though cord blood has proven to be effective in a family genetic issue for my family we weren't allowed to harvest the cord blood. Maybe a home birth situation might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lidlid

I don't understand, I am aware many people see this more as a waste of money that everything else however science is always making new discoveries every day.

As every mother I hope for my son to be always healthy however I really wanted to give him an extra chance for the future, for the unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It was a very frustrating conversation, because cord blood stem cells have been proven to help in our case, so it wasn't a matter of it being speculative, it would have been of benefit if our children developed a problem. I got the sense my consultant would have been happy to facilitate it if it could have been done in house but that just wasn't possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement