Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work canceled shifts on me an i still entitled to get paid?

Options
  • 22-05-2017 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

As the title says, am i entiteld to still be paid if my employer cancels a shift on me?

Im on a relief contract, (effective 0 hour) but agreed to work 4 shifts, all of which were canceled but have confirmation of agreement to work it.

Anything I can do here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

It might be worth considering what you would gain by getting paid for those shifts, vs what you would lose by not being given anymore shifts. That is one of the drawback of zero hour contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

If you're on a zero hours contract and asked to be available to work a certain amount of hours in a week, and you are not called to work, then your employer has to pay you 25% of the hours your entitled to work OR 15 hours of pay (whichever is the lesser).

If you are called to work some of the hours, but not all, you are entitled to be compensated to bring you up to 25% of the possible available hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

If you're on a zero hours contract and asked to be available to work a certain amount of hours in a week, and you are not called to work, then your employer has to pay you 25% of the hours your entitled to work OR 15 hours of pay (whichever is the lesser).

If you are called to work some of the hours, but not all, you are entitled to be compensated to bring you up to 25% of the possible available hours.
    Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

25% of zero is 0 and that is less than 15 hours
    As it is a zero hours contract that act does not apply

• Advertisement

25% of zero is 0 and that is less than 15 hours
    As it is a zero hours contract that act does not apply

Yes it does. It says it right there in both links I provided. A zero hours contract consists of an arrangement between employer and employee where an employee has to be available for a certain amount of hours a week. The 25% of those hours is what the employee is entitled to.

You might be thinking of casual employment, where the employee can be called on to work but doesn't have to be available.

Advertisement