Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rory's Stories

• 22-05-2017 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭

Are they funny?

Funny? 108 votes

Yes
    0% 1 vote
    No
    42% 46 votes
    56% 61 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭frash

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

lawred2 wrote: »
    Are they funny?
    frash wrote: »
    No

Considering the fella has 327,000 likes, I'd say Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

What do you think, OP?

Who's Rory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Funnier than the "Fupping eegits"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Considering the fella has 327,000 likes, I'd say Yes.

Likes prove nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Not nearly as funny as independent.ie would have you believe but some videos are amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Better than that hipster bearded Tormey lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I've watched a few, I'm kinda left scratching my head at the end waiting for the funny bit.
    What sort of money can he pull in for those 300k likes (does it even work that way)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He was good on The Republic of Telly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Necrotising fasciitis of the scrote would provide more chuckles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Had to look him up...

Colloquial observational comedy (I'm using 'comedy' in the loosest sense). It's easy comedy, lowest denominator stuff.

Not for me I'm afraid. But the Mrs Browns Boys crowd love it, I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't find it funny but fair play to the lad,
    I believe he works in construction and does it on the side and plays GGA halls all over the country on the weekends dong stand up
    I think he even done a few gigs in OZ to

He is brilliant, always checking facebook for his newest videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Likes prove nothing.

They prove that people like him......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

me_irl wrote: »
    But the Mrs Browns Boys crowd love it, I'm sure.

No idea what it is but thankfully this line has prevented me wasting my time checking it out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

They prove that people like him......

Unfortunately there's no measure for how much something is disliked to balance that out.

I really don't understand it myself but fair play to him I guess. I think the comparison with Mrs. Brown is accurate.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Unfortunately there's no measure for how much something is disliked to balance that out.

I really don't understand it myself but fair play to him I guess. I think the comparison with Mrs. Brown is accurate.

Can't understand the dislike a small few people in AH have for Mrs. Brown, its absolutely hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The odd few moments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Can't understand the dislike a small few people in AH have for Mrs. Brown, its absolutely hilarious!

Can't understand the like a few people have for Mrs. Brown, it's atrocious.

It wasn't funny 15 years ago when he was doing the stage show, the same jokes STILL aren't funny now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Some of them. I like some of the Ines he does with chanto. The valentines one, the fake tan and the handbag one.

• Advertisement

Can't understand the like a few people have for Mrs. Brown, it's atrocious.

It wasn't funny 15 years ago when he was doing the stage show, the same jokes STILL aren't funny now.

The massive success that it is would tend to disagree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Popularity isn't an indicator of quality. A lot of people like really shit things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Better than that lad that acts like a s***bag. Can't remember his name now.
    Murrisk wrote: »
    Popularity isn't an indicator of quality. A lot of people like really shit things
    Like Beyonce?

Elemonator wrote: »
    Like Beyonce?

Exactly like Beyoncé! :)

Murrisk wrote: »

And won lots of awards. I find it fall off the chair laughing funny anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Funny enough rather the farmer Micheal lad :) KATLEEN

And won lots of awards. I find it fall off the chair laughing funny anyway.

Again, really shit things have won awards. I never take notice of whether the things I like have won anything. How many 'Best Picture' winners at the Oscars are bona fide classics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

He is brilliant, always checking facebook for his newest videos.

The building site ones are gold.

I think he's super

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭Allah snackbar

Likes prove nothing.

It proves people like him 🤓

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Game Face MCGee

I find him very funny! Situational humour, if u don't know or haven't been in the situations you won't find it funny,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The college had him up, I was drunk as **** and even then he wasnt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I find him very funny! Situational humour, if u don't know or haven't been in the situations you won't find it funny,

Same here,the building site and the GAA clips are spot on,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

A lot of videos seem to involve a set-up that has scope for comedy... and then no pay off at the end :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Like Mrs browns boys and Ross o Carroll Kelly stuff, it appeals to a particular audience and a lot of people won't find it funny. What I've seen of him was moderately funny but not funny enough to actively seek out his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I think they tend to be spot on and tend to be well enough acted, but that's also my problem with them too. They're scenarios everybody (especially if you've played hurling or football) has seen 1000 times before in their life in person. Part of humour is unexpectedness or ridiculousness, looking at something from a different angle. There's nothing funny in seeing something you've seen many times before in person, just acted out word for word in a skit instead.

I find the same comes with impersonations, if you can imitate someone really well, but only use it to say things that person has already said, it's kinda pointless to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Seems to be getting a bit of bother online over his latest video.

I don't see it to be bad at all, and thought it was one of his better videos.

https://twitter.com/RorysStories/status/1031943631375159296

People are saying that he is advocating domestic abuse, which is absurd IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

he had a few funny ones, like the sterotypes you find on building sites but that new one where he gets mad at his nagging wife was confusing, not sure where the joke is in that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Langer laughs ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭maccored

boring stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

FitzShane wrote: »
    Seems to be getting a bit of bother online over his latest video.

I don't see it to be bad at all, and thought it was one of his better videos.

https://twitter.com/RorysStories/status/1031943631375159296

People are saying that he is advocating domestic abuse, which is absurd IMO.

can't see the domestic abuse angle - which one is giving the abuse? It's not remotely funny though which is its main problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"all the comments saying 'this is what happens in my house'. Holy ****. Know how many times I have shouted or cursed at my partner? Zero times. Know how many time he has shouted or cursed at me? Zero times. That behaviour is scary and *not* normal."

That woman is either a liar or has only started a new relationship.

Neither has ever so much as shouted at the other?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

optogirl wrote: »
    can't see the domestic abuse angle - which one is giving the abuse? It's not remotely funny though which is its main problem

My guess would be that the fist on the table ? Don't really see tho myself.

"Offensive" humour can be hilarious - but this is neither, you're right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

I thought that was a bit funny.

But in the modern social media world you could make a case for either being the abuser. That sort of nagging I'm sure could be classed as abuse. Because some people like to class everything as abuse.

In the real world that sort of nagging happens all the time as does someone getting fed up with it and telling the other person to fuk off. It's a long way short of abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Looks like the main skill he has is having a wide variety of gaa county jerseys for his unfunny boring cliched rubbishy bargain basement videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He's hit and miss but some of the good ones are really funny in a sort of down to earth 'been there done that' way. Especially liked the ones about being 'that lad' at a wedding, or going down to breakfast at a hotel the morning after a wedding.

The one about the honest job interview was probably the best of them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

"all the comments saying 'this is what happens in my house'. Holy ****. Know how many times I have shouted or cursed at my partner? Zero times. Know how many time he has shouted or cursed at me? Zero times. That behaviour is scary and *not* normal."

That woman is either a liar or has only started a new relationship.

Neither has ever so much as shouted at the other?

Not married but the amount of couples I know who's act like this would be high. Well maybe not exactly the same context of the video but similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

He's hit and miss.

Careful now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just on this lot of my buddies would have extremely similar girlfriends who nag constantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Necrotising fasciitis of the scrote would provide more chuckles
    I actually googled that..wha dafuq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Some of his videos aren't really that funny IMO. A lot of the GAA stuff just goes over my head, but he's good enough at the observational stuff. Some of his simpler vids would make me laugh, because, at their best, they're an honest insight into the lazy complaining world of the Irish male. He's often bang on the money about the mundane things in life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement