Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with my tenants

Options
  • 22-05-2017 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hello.
    This is my first posting for here but I have read a number of posts in the past which have been great.

I have a long standing tenant in my house who was buying the house up until recently. Due to errors on my side after 9 months the tenant has decided to pull his sale and go elsewhere. It is a bit of a nightmare if I am honest as it should have been an easy sale.

My problem is no that since the sale has been cancelled the tenant, who up till this point was a model one, has stopped paying rent. They have said they will move out as soon as, but not in a rush.
    I have had the 14 days notice and then 28 days notice issued correctly (checked with solicitor) But I am wondering what happens next?

If the tenant decides to just not move out, what can I do. They mentioned going to the RTB or maybe I should?
    Does it matter who gets to the RTB first?

I dont know what the outcome is, but from reading posts here tenants seem to be paid to move out.
    If they do overhold on the house, what can I do from there.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Next stop RTB.

Don't wait.

If they do overhold (sounds like they already are) then your choices are; go to the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

Graham wrote:
    Next stop RTB.

Graham wrote:
    Don't wait.

Graham wrote:
    If they do overhold (sounds like they already are) then your choices are; go to the RTB.

Exactly. Don't wait for the tenant, they've already showed their hand. You've done the 14/28 day notices and still no rent/joy I presume?
    Log it with the RTB TODAY so you can at least get the ball rilling and show the tenant you're serious.
    BTW, if there was a deposit originally, do you still have it? That can be used as an final leverage but don't tell them that, go the RTB route first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Not sure the tenant cares about leverage if they've just stopped paying rent, you don't do that and expect to get your deposit back.

Sounds like the tenant might feel like he's been taken for a ride these past 9 months, handing over rent for a house he's supposed to be purchasing. Looks like he's trying to get that money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Thank you for your replys.

Yes, I feel that they will stay no matter what at this stage until they have completed the purchase of the house elsewhere. It was nearly 11 months truth be told of him trying to buy the house, It was stalled on my side but my estate agent failed to communicate and I feel this led to a bad taste.

In regards to the RTB, I have spoken to them, I can only open a case with them once the notice period has passed, or so I am told.
    I do have a deposit for the rent and to be fair the last time I saw the house it was very clean, he has been a very good tenant, bought his own new washing machine, fixed fences after storms, repaired most things without asking me. It is a shame it has come to this as I wanted him to be the new owner of the house as the neighbors are always telling me how great it is to have them around.

Again, just a sad state of affairs to be left with now. Does anyone know if I legally chase for the owed rent does it actually work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Why did the sale fall through?

I wonder is he attempting to do this to leverage a sale. You can't sell it until he is out of the place

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You say in your first post that "they" mentioned going to the RTB. Who do you mean by "they"? If you mean the tenants do they have a valid complaint to make? Are there other issues outstanding?

Maybe they feel that they've spent a lot of money on the house?

Hi,
    Sale fell through as he pulled out. We had a few issues with release from the bank (money owed- never buy in 2007!)
    I am not sure about leveraging a sale as from what we are told he has bought elsewhere and is just awaiting a move date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I've no advise for you unfortunately but l'd say he's planning on staying without paying rent until he's keys to his new house .

Maybe prices of houses have risen in the 9 months and he's a bit bitter about that .

Still no excuse for stopping paying rent .

Good luck

pilly wrote: »
    You say in your first post that "they" mentioned going to the RTB. Who do you mean by "they"? If you mean the tenants do they have a valid complaint to make? Are there other issues outstanding?

Maybe they feel that they've spent a lot of money on the house?

Hi
    It was based on the last conversation had between the EA and tenant and his girlfriend. My EA has said this is usually a delay tactic as it can take 1-2 months to get to the RTB

robbie1977 wrote: »
    I've no advise for you unfortunately but l'd say he's planning on staying without paying rent until he's keys to his new house .

Maybe prices of houses have risen in the 9 months and he's a bit bitter about that .

Still no excuse for stopping paying rent .

Good luck

Hi
    Yes i think that also. House prices have risen in the time, i know he also lost out on another sale as he went sale agreed with me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi
    Yes i think that also. House prices have risen in the time, i know he also lost out on another sale as he went sale agreed with me

Reading between the lines, you were unable to get your mortgage provider to agree the sale as there was a shortfall in the sales proceeds versus the mortgage balance? You acknowledge a lack of communication on your part has led to frustration in your relationship with the tenant. Hopefully, you will be able to get them to move on quickly, I suspect that their purchase is more expensive due to the "lack of communication".

You should proceed down the RTB route but try and maintain good relations with the tenant so that they leave the property in the good order even if they have not settled the rent by that time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Marcusm wrote: »
    Reading between the lines, you were unable to get your mortgage provider to agree the sale as there was a shortfall in the sales proceeds versus the mortgage balance? You acknowledge a lack of communication on your part has led to frustration in your relationship with the tenant. Hopefully, you will be able to get them to move on quickly, I suspect that their purchase is more expensive due to the "lack of communication".

You should proceed down the RTB route but try and maintain good relations with the tenant so that they leave the property in the good order even if they have not settled the rent by that time.

If the tenant had bought a property elsewhere- the landlord is in quite strong a position- as if their lender were to hear that someone else was trying to register a lien on their new property in satisfaction of unpaid rent/damage etc etc- there would be hell to pay. I'm not saying that you should ever mention this to the tenant- however, the knowledge that they have bought elsewhere- does give you a new hand of cards to play with- while the tenant imagines they hold all the trumps- they're playing with a stale hand of cards............

Lodge the RTB case asap- they have lots to loose (unfotunately you do too- however, its a more even hand of cards than the tenant seems to think it is.......)

If the tenant had bought a property elsewhere- the landlord is in quite strong a position- as if their lender were to hear that someone else was trying to register a lien on their new property in satisfaction of unpaid rent/damage etc etc- there would be hell to pay. I'm not saying that you should ever mention this to the tenant- however, the knowledge that they have bought elsewhere- does give you a new hand of cards to play with- while the tenant imagines they hold all the trumps- they're playing with a stale hand of cards............

Lodge the RTB case asap- they have lots to loose (unfotunately you do too- however, its a more even hand of cards than the tenant seems to think it is.......)

I am not sure how this would help. I would need to know where they have bought and also who the lender is would i not.
    Plus as the matter would go to the RTB are they allowed access to this info

Marcusm wrote: »

Yes, basically this house was used as colllateral for another purchase. Issues with the bank took a lot longer to sort. In this time the EA basically ignored the tenant/purchaser.

I think house will be given back clean,it has always been that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If the tenant had bought a property elsewhere- the landlord is in quite strong a position- as if their lender were to hear that someone else was trying to register a lien on their new property in satisfaction of unpaid rent/damage etc etc- is.......)

The bank always takes first charge on aq property and aany other charge against the property wiill rank after the bank. However, if there is an unsatisfied judgement, the bank may not lend at all.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The bank always takes first charge on aq property and aany other charge against the property wiill rank after the bank. However, if there is an unsatisfied judgement, the bank may not lend at all.

Yes, but again i would need a court judgement against him.. i think that would be a long way off, if it even happpened.

Hi,

I asked my solicitor about the above comments. He has said that generally to get a judgement is a long court procedure, and only if they are delinquent in repayment or anything like that could it be used against the new house purchase.
    Saying that, he has said I could also be somewhat accountable for this as "in part you or your agent seems to have delayed actions, either intentionally or accidentally which should have been disclosed prior to negotiation"

Not sure if it is worth it to be honest if that is the case. Also, it was said that the EA might also be caught with a conflict of interest as both the the LL EA and the selling EA, something about not having his client (tenants) interest at hand.

Yeah, this is getting messier by the minute. Tbh I think the tenants are royally pissed off with you and it sounds like they've every right to be. The best you can hope for now is that they will go sooner rather than later.

pilly wrote: »
    Yeah, this is getting messier by the minute. Tbh I think the tenants are royally pissed off with you and it sounds like they've every right to be. The best you can hope for now is that they will go sooner rather than later.

I think this also. I am just very unsure of what the proper procedure is. I think it was handled very badly in general and to be fair they have been exceptional tenants for years with no issues in general, but as I said before it is a shame it has come down to this.

I just dont also wish to be taken for a ride either as I still have to pay the mortgage in this case and while it wont break the bank I would prefer not to have to pay 2-3K in fees on a house I do not live in.

I think this also. I am just very unsure of what the proper procedure is. I think it was handled very badly in general and to be fair they have been exceptional tenants for years with no issues in general, but as I said before it is a shame it has come down to this.

I just dont also wish to be taken for a ride either as I still have to pay the mortgage in this case and while it wont break the bank I would prefer not to have to pay 2-3K in fees on a house I do not live in.

Just follow the RTB procedures, that's all you can do. Look at heart you seem to me to be a decent person and I think you have a conscience about this.

They will eventually have to go but you'll have to ready yourself for the long haul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

As your tenant would have preferred not to have to pay thousands in rent, engineers reports, solicitors fees, etc etc, and more thousands because of house price increases, when they eventually buy a new house that they lost out on due to communication issues.

if I was you I would offer to waive a certain generous amount of rent as a gesture of goodwill if in return they will play ball on leaving. Go and talk to them. Worth a shot anyway - the worst they can do is go scorched earth, and they are already doing that. If he starts getting PTB and solicitors letters they are likely to go scorched earth. I would for sure.

If they have been a model tenant until now they are likely to respond to some sort of reasonable offer - but expect to get a bollocking first if communication has been poor until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Realistically the tenant will be gone soon - he/she is probably just using the deposit as last month's rent and hasn't given formal notice to quit as they aren't sure when house will be ready to move into and so don't want to be tied into two/three months notice. Are you going to rent the place again or sell it? Tenant knows if he gives you notice and you plan on selling you'll hold him to it as you won't be re renting it so will not try to get new tenants albeit it being a landlords market. Reading between the lines he just plans on leaving and you'll end up with his deposit. If he does just leave air bnb it to get some income.

Also, have you issued a termination notice as you intend to sell? He only knows you are selling it as he was potentially buying it.

Thanks for both responses above.
    Yes I do feel very poorly about this, It had always been my intention to sell the house to the tenant and indeed 3 neighbors I had when I lived in the house myself and speak to regularly have said they would have loved this chap to stay, he minds the place ( 6'3 and a MMA trainer) so they have had no anti social issue.

And yes, I agree that it must not be easy for him ( and partner) to have had to wait for months for the house and then go hunting again with all the extra finance that involves.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Realistically the tenant will be gone soon - he/she is probably just using the deposit as last month's rent and hasn't given formal notice to quit as they aren't sure when house will be ready to move into and so don't want to be tied into two/three months notice. Are you going to rent the place again or sell it? Tenant knows if he gives you notice and you plan on selling you'll hold him to it as you won't be re renting it so will not try to get new tenants albeit it being a landlords market. Reading between the lines he just plans on leaving and you'll end up with his deposit. If he does just leave air bnb it to get some income.

Also, have you issued a termination notice as you intend to sell? He only knows you are selling it as he was potentially buying it.

Hi,

No the notice was given for non payment of rent, but previously we have given notice for intention to sell and also we have been very advanced in the sales process with him. To the point his solicitor is the one who told him to pull the plug after 5 months of contracts requests from his side.

Hi,

No the notice was given for non payment of rent, but previously we have given notice for intention to sell and also we have been very advanced in the sales process with him. To the point his solicitor is the one who told him to pull the plug after 5 months of contracts requests from his side.

But if he pays the rent you can't evict as he's made right the arrears - are you awaiting notice from him to quit? Others will know better on here but shouldn't you be giving a formal declaration intending to sell the property and the tenancy will terminate on or before x date? Are you in a hurry to sell? Could existing tenant in theory just keep paying rent whilst simultaneously subletting to someone else delaying your sale? You must be in no hurry to sell I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

By the sounds of it he's lost a lot more €€ than you. I think you should give them 3 months grace on the rent as a good will gesture.

But if he pays the rent you can't evict as he's made right the arrears - are you awaiting notice from him to quit? Others will know better on here but shouldn't you be giving a formal declaration intending to sell the property and the tenancy will terminate on or before x date? Are you in a hurry to sell? Could existing tenant in theory just keep paying rent whilst simultaneously subletting to someone else delaying your sale? You must be in no hurry to sell I take it?

Hi,
    No he has stopped paying rent a few months ago, currently on month three.
    The notice was given as a 14 days notice then a 28 day notice of eviction.

I would have loved him to continue on and keep paying rent but once the sale fell through he stopped paying the rent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

But if he pays the rent you can't evict

Tenant isn't paying the rent.

Sixtoes wrote: »
    By the sounds of it he's lost a lot more €€ than you. I think you should give them 3 months grace on the rent as a good will gesture.

I wouldn't be offering a grace period straight up. Just level with them and ask when does he think his sale will go through and discuss leaving etc. See what they say. They could have gotten indignant at receiving rent arrears notices which have to be issued

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be offering a grace period straight up. Just level with them and ask when does he think his sale will go through and discuss leaving etc. See what they say. They could have gotten indignant at receiving rent arrears notices which have to be issued

Yeah in generał the realationship has deteriorated since then. Doesnt help that the EA ignored calls and emails about two big repair jobs either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement